PDA

View Full Version : Bonded contaminants

jackwilson1
10-12-2011, 01:19 PM
Since I am a detailing newbie, I don`t have the proper vernacular to describe the damage to my automobile`s paint. But I will try.
There is a "milkish" covering on the lower part of both sides of the car. Some white specks are liberally sprinkled throughout. This coating is never higher than about 6 inches above the bottom of the doors
Every road trip seems to increase the problem. I have tried clay, polishing with Menzerna "Power Finish" and "Super Finish", using both Orange and Yellow foam pads with an orbital dual action polisher.
No difference!
Can anyone tell me how many "back and forth" (with lubricants!) motions does it take to remove bonded contaminants? 100? More? 100 strokes does not make any difference at all.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nth Degree
10-12-2011, 02:06 PM
Without photos it`s really hard to know what you are talking about. It sounds like a combination of issues rather than just one. You don`t mention what type of car or color. It could be paint splatter from freshly painted lines, but that would likely be a one time issue, not every road trip. It could be rock chips that are in the paint, rather than on it. That would make clay ineffective. Does the milkish coating come off with washing, leaving behind the specks? Is there a pattern that indicates coming from the tires? Is it being hit by sprinklers when parked or landscapers? Do you have a dirt/gravel driveway?

So many possibilities based upon the provided information.

In general, just a few passes with clay should give some improvement if any is possible. If you make 10 passes and don`t see any improvement then you are wasting your time and can wind up doing more harm than good.

opie_7afe
10-12-2011, 04:21 PM
as dwg says we need pictures. we cant just imagine what a defect looks like, it would be like asking for a quote on new tile without giving measurements.

jackwilson1
10-12-2011, 06:35 PM
I am enclosing 2 photos. It happened twice in winter, and more was added in summertime driving. California highways, San Diego to Lake Tahoe.
Thanks for the quick reply.

Stokdgs
10-12-2011, 07:41 PM
I am enclosing 2 photos. It happened twice in winter, and more was added in summertime driving. California highways, San Diego to Lake Tahoe.
Thanks for the quick reply.

Wow what are they using out there now?

Does it look like striping paint ? can you feel it like its on top of the paint?
I think its striping paint or some kind of paint, and hopefully it can be removed with a solvent. See if Mineral Spirits, Lacquer Thinner, Prep-Sol, Klean Up, or Goof-Off Professional Strength, sold in little metal cans at Home Depot, Lowes, in the Paint Dept,, or at auto body paint supply stores, work.. Sometimes, 3m Adhesive remover sold in spray cans at auto parts places will work too. Another product called Stoner Tarminator will sometimes remove stuff like this as well..

Try to find some of this same stuff underneath the rocker panels, ( I am sure it is there too), and see what solvent removes it and not the paint. Use QTips, dab a spot on, let it sit for a few seconds, and then wipe it and see if the stuff comes off.

Good Luck with this.
Dan F