PDA

View Full Version : Maguire`s 205 or Blackfire SRC finishing polish?

marcopolo112000
10-03-2011, 02:45 PM
Hi guys,

Last year I got some great results just claying, using BF Gloss enhancing polish with the PC with a white CCS pad, followed by wet diamond with a gray finishing pad. The finish on 2007 black FJ was pretty good with only some very faint swirls and holograms so I didn`t go too hard with the polish. It turned out really well, but if you look hard enough you could still make out the swirls.

Now that the temperatures have dropped down here in Memphis, I wanted to do it again, but attack those swirls a bit harder. I was thinking of starting with clay bar, Then using blackfire SRC finishing polish and a green cutting pad, followed by the same steps as above last year.

There are so many products listed on the website for sale regarding polishing and swirl removal, an amateur like myself struggles to sort through the right products and steps. Should I consider the Maguires 205 instead of the BF SRC?

Thanks for any input...

stillen
10-03-2011, 08:59 PM
I would use Blackfire polish with a white Lc flat pad.

Blackfire is compatable with Menernza better than Meguiars might want to use menernza super nano polish with white pad then use 85rd polish with grey lc pad then use the sealant would look killer. :D

Old Pirate
10-03-2011, 09:08 PM
Both products will work well for you, one should try a White LC CCS Pad first then follow up with a Black LC CCS Pad. Another pad you can go with are the Lake Country Hydro-Tech 5 1/2 x 7/8 Inch Foam Pads ( Tangerine ) with these products. You can`t go wrong with either one of these fine products on your FJ to remove them swirls you see on the finish.

Old Pirate
10-03-2011, 09:11 PM
Another area to look up is the " How to Section (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/how-to.html) "

opie_7afe
10-03-2011, 10:46 PM
best thing to do is use same products but use a more aggressive pad if the current product/pad choice removed some defects. however judging from autogeek`s comparison chart seems like the Menzerna PO106FA has same aggressiveness as the Meguiars M205. i agree with the others use products that are compatible with each other. if they are not compatible then you can always do a ipa/eraser wipe down before applying your final protection.

Todd@RUPES
10-04-2011, 06:26 AM
Hi guys,

Last year I got some great results just claying, using BF Gloss enhancing polish with the PC with a white CCS pad, followed by wet diamond with a gray finishing pad. The finish on 2007 black FJ was pretty good with only some very faint swirls and holograms so I didn`t go too hard with the polish. It turned out really well, but if you look hard enough you could still make out the swirls.

Now that the temperatures have dropped down here in Memphis, I wanted to do it again, but attack those swirls a bit harder. I was thinking of starting with clay bar, Then using blackfire SRC finishing polish and a green cutting pad, followed by the same steps as above last year.

There are so many products listed on the website for sale regarding polishing and swirl removal, an amateur like myself struggles to sort through the right products and steps. Should I consider the Maguires 205 instead of the BF SRC?

Thanks for any input...

I would not use either Meguiar`s M205 or Blackfire SRC Finishing Polish with the coarse Green Cutting Pad. While it can be done, neither polish was designed for use in this regard.

In terms of what you are looking to do you could use either the Orange Light Cutting Pad (which produces a fairly nice finish for the cut) or the White Polishing Pad (which may produce a slightly higher quality finish but not have quite as much cut). You could finish either with your previous process.

Meguiar`s M205 and Blackfire SRC are both finishing polishes, but use a different type of abrasive powder. Meguiar`s M205 will work much quicker, where as Blackfire SRC really needs to be polished into the paint (longer working times) for optimal results.

It has been my experience that Blackfire SRC Finishing Polish will produce a slightly higher quality finish (better gloss/no micromarring) on softer paints, but again, at the expense that it will take you longer to do the job.

Either product is a great choice, however, and you cannot go wrong either ways. Remember to use your Autopia discount at Autopia-CarCare.com a great price no matter what!

Todd

opie_7afe
10-04-2011, 01:10 PM
yeah! what todd said!. id take the advice from someone who can polish million dollar cars without breaking a sweat!. me on the other hand id have the nervous twitch touching a million dollar car. id take todds advice for sure!
:autopia:

marcopolo112000
10-05-2011, 08:45 AM
Awesome advice guys!:bigups

I will go with the BFSRC and with the white pad to start. I`ll buy a couple of tangerines too so I can step up a bit in case the white isn`t getting it done.

What`s the best way to keep your pads from drying out with the BFSRC when doing a whole vehicle? I have the spray lube, is that enough? Can you use a wet pad, which is to say, rinse it out and then put it back on?

Thanks!

marcopolo112000
10-05-2011, 08:55 AM
Oh yeah...should I be using 6.5" or 5.5" pads for this with the PC? or does it matter.

Thanks,

GlassReflection
10-05-2011, 09:09 AM
Oh yeah...should I be using 6.5" or 5.5" pads for this with the PC? or does it matter.

Thanks,

Use the smaller pad, you will get more correction due to the faster rotation.

GlassReflection
10-05-2011, 09:19 AM
Use the smaller pad, you will get more correction due to the faster rotation.

Read Todd`s thread that was just posted about this...Rotation of the pad helps, but it seems that the pad choice and product used is now considered the primary.

Good Luck with your project!!