PDA

View Full Version : How to properly remove Love Bug guts from your paint - Garry Dean - Tampa, FL - Premium Custom Detailing

Pages : [1] 2

Garry Dean
09-19-2011, 03:43 PM
Thats right folks, Love Bug season is in full swing here in FL.

I get dozens of calls per year asking if I can repair Love Bug damage.

NO, I CANNOT FIX THE LOVE BUG ETCHINGS ON YOUR VEHICLE! Make them look better, maybe. Love Bug etchings are deep, nasty, and permanent!

What I can do is teach you the correct way to prevent the damage moving forward.

Either the Love Bugs are etched into the clearcoat or the vehicle owner has taken a scouring pad or some type of brush to the paint to try and remove them.

There are many solutions that will work for safely removing Love Bugs from the paint, but I like to use Ultima Waterless Wash Plus Concentrate.

It takes about 20 minutes to safely remove the mess Love Bugs make. It is definately worth it to clean them off of your vehicle properly EVERY DAY during the 4 weeks per year we have them.

Enjoy the video!

How to Properly Remove Love Bug guts from your paint using Ultima Waterless Wash Concentrate and microfiber towels Garry Dean Tampa, FL Detailing Ferrari BMW polishing - YouTube

Thanks for watching!

Bill D
09-19-2011, 05:17 PM
Makes me cringe! Still no real silver bullet yet other than that very thorough wash but Pro`s Bug Guard can be not half bad. Hassle still can`t really be avoided. I have to use all kinds of long handled paint brushes to dislodge bugs from the radiator sometimes too :(

Garry Dean
09-19-2011, 06:23 PM
Makes me cringe! Still no real silver bullet yet other than that very thorough wash but Pro`s Bug Guard can be not half bad. Hassle still can`t really be avoided. I have to use all kinds of long handled paint brushes to dislodge bugs from the radiator sometimes too :(

Yeah, they make an insane mess. They smell terrible too.

Mr. Gloss
09-19-2011, 07:12 PM
Just one more reason not to live in Florida! :D

Thanks for the thorough instructions, Gary.

BTW,

Whatever happened to the Safe Scrub Sponge? I have never witnessed a Pro Detailer using it to remove bugs from paint.

Bill D
09-19-2011, 07:22 PM
It could always be worse ;). I don`t complain in the winter

nadroj
09-19-2011, 07:41 PM
Man that must be so annoying to have to clean tons of dead bugs off of your car every day for over a month. Thanks for the video.

Bill D
09-19-2011, 07:51 PM
In my case it hasn`t been that bad this year...yet. The real PITA is removing bugs from the radiator when there`s lots of them.

Garry Dean
09-19-2011, 08:39 PM
Just one more reason not to live in Florida! :D

Thanks for the thorough instructions, Gary.

BTW,

Whatever happened to the Safe Scrub Sponge? I have never witnessed a Pro Detailer using it to remove bugs from paint.

I love living in FL! I bought and used the safe scrub sponge a few years ago, but it didnt really do a great job with the rediculous bond of these Love Bugs.

It could always be worse ;). I don`t complain in the winter

Yes, Winter is nice!

Man that must be so annoying to have to clean tons of dead bugs off of your car every day for over a month. Thanks for the video.

It doesnt bother me. I know how to safely remove them, remember, lol? No problem.

In my case it hasn`t been that bad this year...yet. The real PITA is removing bugs from the radiator when there`s lots of them.

Pull out the pressure washer, lol.

Rocket
09-19-2011, 09:06 PM

I have one that I`ve never used.

Garry, nice video. I`m glad I don`t have to deal with those bugs

doctordon
09-20-2011, 06:14 AM
Great tips Garry. A fast and easy way to remove them daily is to use dryer sheets such as Bounce soaked in water. The solution in the sheet acts as a lubricant and they will not scratch the paint. Of course, any wax or sealant will be removed.

Garry Dean
09-20-2011, 07:08 AM
Great tips Garry. A fast and easy way to remove them daily is to use dryer sheets such as Bounce soaked in water. The solution in the sheet acts as a lubricant and they will not scratch the paint. Of course, any wax or sealant will be removed.

That is absolutely untrue. I have tested this method. It does cause marring. I would highly recommend against using dryer sheets or anything from the kitchen.

The method explained in the video will ensure an etching and mar free finish after the bug guts are removed.

Thank you for mentioning this as it is something I forgot to add.

polisher
09-20-2011, 08:23 AM
that nice video where u dont have to use the wash mit/soap/bucket/hose..saves lotta time

Garry Dean
09-20-2011, 10:03 AM
that nice video where u dont have to use the wash mit/soap/bucket/hose..saves lotta time

I agree. That was the whole reason I did this particular video. I wanted to show how simply and safely these rediculously messy monsters can be removed.

Concours.John
09-20-2011, 03:22 PM
Nice video Gary! This even though we don get love bugs is a great tip. It gets pretty "buggy" on the back roads around here. There are some 1 - 2" grass hoppers near the feilds, and the cicada`s can make a real mess(especially during the swarm season every 3-5 years).

Pats300zx
09-20-2011, 06:00 PM
Great video and tips Garry. Thanks for putting that video together.