PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here drive a detailing van?

Pages : [1] 2

Addicted2Bling
09-17-2011, 07:05 PM
Did you have to upgrade your suspension???

I have a 97 astro that I load down every day just about. It`s not a cargo astro, it`s an LS. I have a 55 gallon tank in the back, pressure washer, generator, I`m guessing there has to be 1000 pounds loaded in the back. My tires have been blowing out left and right, I had those things set at about 4 PSI which is kinda high, but after I`ve had the 2 blow outs I set them at 3.5 PSI and only fill the tank half way. I`ve asked a mechanic about this problem and he tells me that I need to put more leafs in the back which will cost me 450 bucks. A friend of mine is telling me to get coil overs, this seems like a good cheap fix, but I`m not sure if it will last. I`m pretty much directing this post to those of you who have vans and who know about suspension. What is my best option here? I don`t want to dump a ton of money in this van, but I want something that will last...
Will coil overs do the trick???

tropicsteve
09-17-2011, 07:17 PM
are you using truck tires ? the number of plys in a truck tire is much higher than those in regular tires and hence they can handle the heavier weight loads. suspension upgrades will definitely make the vehicle handle better.

C. Charles Hahn
09-17-2011, 07:26 PM
I think what I`ve heard is that some of the Astro vans had fiberglass leaf springs and others had steel, so some guys have swapped out the `glass springs for steel....

ca.detailchick
09-17-2011, 09:11 PM
I dont know what coil overs are but I have a good friend who owns an alignment shop and can ask fro you.

When I had my Chevy I needed to upgrade because I had too much weight also. I cant remember what I had put on.

Also had to use truck tires, I remember I had a problem with tires because they kept putting on the wrong type .

I have a Toy Sienna now and asked the service manager about the suspension and he said I should be fine and are built for extra weight . We shall see !

Addicted2Bling
09-18-2011, 03:30 AM
are you using truck tires ? the number of plys in a truck tire is much higher than those in regular tires and hence they can handle the heavier weight loads. suspension upgrades will definitely make the vehicle handle better.

Truck Tires??? Hmmmmmm, so maybe if I got some better built tires that should do it then. I just don`t want the big bulky tires that stick out, maybe they have truck tires that are small. I`ll have to look into that

XLNTShine
09-18-2011, 07:39 AM
Is it to much weight for the tires causing heat build up, or is it suspension? By suspension I mean is the body making contact with the tires because of suspension sag? If it is not hitting the tires then having springs upgraded or installed will not help save tires.

Upgrade the springs will allow you to carry more weight and you will have more stability and control. Upgrading the tires will allow you to haul that weight with out damaging the internal parts of the tire.

BTW I assume you mean 40psi and 35 psi? One other sugestion i have is check the sidewall of the tire. You can run up to the pressure listed on the sidewall, but be sure to keep the minimum pressure somewhere close to what the vehicle calls for.

GearHead_1
09-18-2011, 12:50 PM
My tires have been blowing out left and right, I had those things set at about 4 PSI which is kinda high, but after I`ve had the 2 blow outs I set them at 3.5 PSI and only fill the tank half way.

What are you running at 4 PSI? I`m sure you aren`t talking about your tires. Air shocks run at higher rates that this as well.

Addicted2Bling
09-18-2011, 08:53 PM
^^Yes my tires. Last time I checked the gauge it looked like it read 4.0, I guess there was no dot there...

Todd@RUPES
09-19-2011, 11:08 AM
^^Yes my tires. Last time I checked the gauge it looked like it read 4.0, I guess there was no dot there...

If you were running 4 psi, you would know! (anything under 10 is going to look very flat on my tires). Suspension upgrades can help if you having issues with the van bottoming out or with alignment issues that are wearing out the tires (and it cannot be permanently adjusted). Truck tires or higher load tires seem to be the first thing I would upgrade as well.

mrclean81
09-19-2011, 12:35 PM
Contact Tex Star Detail on this forum. He knows his stuff when it comes to Astros. He could probably answer any question you have with hands on experience.

Addicted2Bling
09-19-2011, 09:06 PM
^^Yes I`ve talked to him about suspension in the past. But I didn`t even think about replacing the tires. Sometimes you talk to a mechanic and you want to believe them, but I`m glad I came on here first and asked because 450 bucks is not cheap!

ca.detailchick
09-24-2011, 11:17 PM
Truck Tires??? Hmmmmmm, so maybe if I got some better built tires that should do it then. I just don`t want the big bulky tires that stick out, maybe they have truck tires that are small. I`ll have to look into that
I asked my friend for you and that was the first thing he recommended was to put on truck tires and if there was visible sagging after that then to do some upgrades with the suspension.

He mentioned loaded tires, C or D and also said thats why your blowing your tires out, from not having the propper tires.

Hope you get it all owrked out and dont have to spend a ton of money !

C. Charles Hahn
09-25-2011, 01:12 AM
I asked my friend for you and that was the first thing he recommended was to put on truck tires and if there was visible sagging after that then to do some upgrades with the suspension.

He mentioned loaded tires, C or D and also said thats why your blowing your tires out, from not having the propper tires.

Hope you get it all owrked out and dont have to spend a ton of money !

I think you mean "load rated tires" :bigups

ca.detailchick
09-25-2011, 02:33 AM
I think you mean "load rated tires" :bigups
Ok, whatever! I knew I would screw up something he told me :lol:

Addicted2Bling
09-25-2011, 12:57 PM
Detailchick I appreciate it. It is such a pain in the (_|_) when you are having problems and things are breaking down on you, then your mechanic tells you something completely different that has nothing to do with the problem. I appreciate the info and I`m glad I came here and asked first before spending all that $$$ on something worthless!