PDA

View Full Version : Hd uno....

ZL1Mark
09-12-2011, 12:27 AM
I just tried this polish, and I really like it! It lives up to its claim that it will cut depending on the pad you use with it. I used it with a cutting pad and it cute quite well. I then used it with a finishing pad, and it removed the marring left behind by the cutting pad. Correct me if I`m wrong, although Meg`s uses SMAT(like HD UNO), you cant take a polish like Ultimate Compound and uses it with a cutting pad, then use it with a finishing pad to finish.

ca.detailchick
09-12-2011, 12:33 AM
I just tried this polish, and I really like it! It lives up to its claim that it will cut depending on the pad you use with it. I used it with a cutting pad and it cute quite well. I then used it with a finishing pad, and it removed the marring left behind by the cutting pad. Correct me if I`m wrong, although Meg`s uses SMAT(like HD UNO), you cant take a polish like Ultimate Compound and uses it with a cutting pad, then use it with a finishing pad to finish.
I havent done it but I hear megs 105 is pad dependent and can be used to finish off with on a finish pad . Personally I like 205 and its cheaper so I never tried 105 that way.

ZL1Mark
09-12-2011, 12:37 AM
I havent done it but I hear megs 105 is pad dependent and can be used to finish off with on a finish pad . Personally I like 205 and its cheaper so I never tried 105 that way.
Kinda hard to believe that an aggressive compound could be used as a finishing polish as well, but that`s why I started this thread because I`m not sure. :D

ca.detailchick
09-12-2011, 12:54 AM
Kinda hard to believe that an aggressive compound could be used as a finishing polish as well, but that`s why I started this thread because I`m not sure. :D
Take some 105 and rub some on your fingers ! It doesnt feel gritty or agressive at all ! Surprising isnt it!?

Todd@RUPES
09-12-2011, 06:48 AM

While I haven`t used Ultimate Compound to finish (I don`t see why could couldn`t) I have finished multiple cars with M105 (both DA and rotary) to a 100% swirl free finish.

Traditional diminishing aluminum oxide abrasives are like grapes stuck to a bushel. As the polish is worked little pieces of the bushel break apart (fracture) and the `grapes` come off. These grapes are called the primary crystal or crystal abrasive, and for all intensive purposes, they are as fine as the polish can become. This is because aluminum oxide is fairly hard (9 out of 10 on the Mohrs Scale of Hardness, 10 being a diamond) and while it does become slightly more rounded during use, the amount the crystal is diminished from friction against paint is negligible.

The crystal abrasive can come is various shapes, sizes, and sharpness which dictate how well they cut and what type of scratch pattern they leave on the paint (how they finish).

Non-diminishing abrasives forego the bushel of grapes (diminishing) stage and move right to the crystal abrasive (grapes). In essence, products like Meguiar`s M105 aren`t really compound with aggressive abrasives, they are finishing polishes with ultra fine, fully exhausted (crystal) abrasives that have the potential to cut really high.

Todd@RUPES
09-12-2011, 06:49 AM

M105/Ultimate Compound/HD Uno, Meguiar`s So1o Compound aren`t really aggressive compounds so much as they are ultra fine polishes that have the ability to be hyper-aggressive.

TroyScherer
09-12-2011, 08:50 AM
M105/Ultimate Compound/HD Uno, Meguiar`s So1o Compound aren`t really aggressive compounds so much as they are ultra fine polishes that have the ability to be hyper-aggressive.

Great info... Thanks Todd. I believe I have seen where Barry Theal has said he finished some vehicles down to LSP ready with M105.

TLMitchell
09-12-2011, 09:35 AM
Correct me if I`m wrong, although Meg`s uses SMAT(like HD UNO), you cant take a polish like Ultimate Compound and uses it with a cutting pad, then use it with a finishing pad to finish.

As you may have seen since I was whining about it all over the place some time ago.... I had a problem getting super-soft black to finish on one of the bikes. Took a page out of Nick Chapman`s book and tried a cutting pad with finishing polish. Worked great! Then I saw one of Todd`s threads where he used a red finishing pad and M105 for a flawless finish on black. That worked primo for my application as well. :bigups Sometimes when you think outside the box you`re pleasantly rewarded.

I think you`ll find many of the SMAT or non-diminishing abrasives to be pad and pressure dependent. MF DA pads have been pressure and work-time dependent for me with every non-dimishing polish and compound I`ve tried `em with. Two-step results with 1-step application with no pad change. YMMV.

TL

mrclean81
09-12-2011, 10:11 AM
Sometimes when you think outside the box you`re pleasantly rewarded.

TL

I wish more people understood this. Sometimes things that seem like a far fetched idea to many are the techniques that work the best.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk