PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with Audi Paint

rwwde
09-06-2011, 10:44 PM
I`m new to detailing and have been reading like crazy for weeks. I have a 2011 Audi that I want to keep as pristine as I can, and all advice is welcome.

I`m looking at the Griots DA buffer, and either Menzerna or Blackfire polishes. Will get the 5" backing plate and Lake Country pad - not sure whether to get constant pressure, hydro or flat (thin) or what colors at this point. Would also like suggestions for clay and lube (paint seems to be in very good condition). I`ve used Blackfire paint sealant and like the product so will probably use that as LSP.

Please chime in and help me get on the right track - and thanks!

ca.detailchick
09-06-2011, 11:41 PM
Welcome rwwde!:)

I like the blackfire claybar with megs last touch for lubrication.

Blackfire polish (if you need it)maybe the way to go if your going to go with the blackfire for LSP. Its nice to sometimes stick to the same brands but not
necessary either .

What color is your paint and do you have any swirls or imperfections?:inspector:

That will determine your pads and polishes .

rwwde
09-07-2011, 08:24 AM
Paint is a medium blue color (called Sepang Blue in Audi speak). I might try the Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish first, which I`ve read does not "cut" if that makes sense. I don`t see any swirls or scratches other than some very small clearcoat scratches, almost invisible.

Bill D
09-07-2011, 09:40 AM
I have a black A4 that when polished, gets a steady diet of Menzerna. Play around with whatever polish combinations you like but I`d keep at least PO85RD a staple in your arsenal. It`s one product I`d never be without.

Todd@RUPES
09-07-2011, 02:08 PM
I`m new to detailing and have been reading like crazy for weeks. I have a 2011 Audi that I want to keep as pristine as I can, and all advice is welcome.

I`m looking at the Griots DA buffer, and either Menzerna or Blackfire polishes. Will get the 5" backing plate and Lake Country pad - not sure whether to get constant pressure, hydro or flat (thin) or what colors at this point. Would also like suggestions for clay and lube (paint seems to be in very good condition). I`ve used Blackfire paint sealant and like the product so will probably use that as LSP.

Please chime in and help me get on the right track - and thanks!

Audi paint in my experience is very hard. What this means is that it usually is more resistant to polishing (it requires more aggressive techniques and work) than other paints.

For a swirl remover polish I would recommend Meguiar`s M105 Ultra Cut Compound. Use this in conjunction with either a 5.5 inch Lake Country Orange Pad or a Meguiar`s DA Microfiber Cutting Pad to power out swirls. (Note: I would recommend using something less aggressive first until you get comfortable machine polishing, but Audi`s are super hard). For a final polish Blackfire SRC Finishing Polish or Menzerna PO106fa will work fine, and when used on a white Lake Country pad, should have no problem clearing up any hazing issues from the more aggressive step. If you paint is in good shape already, then this might be all you need.

Have you ever polished paint before?

And WELCOME to autopiaFORUMS!!!!

rwwde
09-07-2011, 04:56 PM
Todd and others,

Many thanks for the responses. I`ve never polished paint before so I`m looking for a relatively simple way to start. I may work on an older Audi in the family to get some feel for this before I work on the newer car.

Todd, there are a number of Lake Country pads out there - are you thinking flat ones and thin, or is there merit to the constant pressure pads? Also, if the paint is in really great shape, should I try something like Blackfire gloss enhancing polish on a black pad as a first step?

Bill D
09-07-2011, 05:50 PM
My black Audi is a garage queen. A daily driver is a very big job but also a very satisfying one I mostly just jewel the paint which I have this past spring first with M205 and the Menzerna PO85RD which excellently removed final micromarring and some hologramming. Great recipe for the final polishing steps These are my personal favorites and anything sold by the Autopia store is top notch.

Dr Oldz
09-07-2011, 06:01 PM
I really can not comment on the Blackfire line of polishes as I have never used them. I would suggest keeping things simple to start. I would get Menz Power Finish and Super Finish as a polish and final polish combo along with some Megs 105 or Ultimate compound as a compound for the tougher swirls.

You can keep your pads very simple by purchasing the LC Hydro Tech pads(there are only three choices of cut[colors] to choose from) and they work really well with the polishes and compounds I have listed above. I would suggest 5.5 x 7/8 pads for best performance on a DA polisher.

They should be able to solve your problems with any Audi paint if using the proper technique with keeping the choices fairly simple.