PDA

View Full Version : What you guys recommend

kcscott
09-01-2011, 08:17 PM
Ok im new to all this so here i go. I just bought a 09 Mitsubishi Eclipse that is in perfect condition and the color is like a medium gray. Im not sure what kind of topcoat they use from the manufacturer or if it really matters. I dont have supplies and want to get started making it look great. Well i did just buy sonus wash and a wool wash mit and some mf towels. Now id like to know what you guys recommend getting for polish, wax or whatever. There is so much product out there that it confuses me on what is good or not. Please help someone that wants to learn the correct ways.

Old Pirate
09-01-2011, 09:57 PM
Before I recommend anything here`s a great write up by Todd that I think you should look over first : The Autopia 5 Step Paint Care Cycle

Garry Dean
09-01-2011, 10:09 PM
Before I recommend anything here`s a great write up by Todd that I think you should look over first : The Autopia 5 Step Paint Care Cycle

:puterx: I agree, that`s a wonderful place to start looking.

kcscott
09-05-2011, 11:13 AM
Thanks for that. I have been reading alot and have a question. I think i have clear coat and i guess most cars do that come from the factory. But i read that if it is clear coat you shouldnt use a polish. Because a polish has has some abbrasives in it and would scratch or dull the clear coat.

glfahlc
09-05-2011, 12:17 PM
actually polishes are normally used with a da/ro or a rotary machine. not that you couldn`t use them by hand but thats a lotta rubbin. for new paint all you would normally need is a good two bucket wash, clay and a good lsp or carnuba wax.

chet31
09-05-2011, 08:22 PM
Yes, you have clear coat. No, a reputable polish product is not going to scratch or cloud your clear coat.

You will want a machine polisher. There is currently a thread going on machine polishers, and all the main players are discussed. Read that thread and pick one. Whatever you buy, also buy lots of pads and an extra backing plate.

You want someone to tell you exactly what to buy. I get it, there are a lot of products out there and most of them actually work pretty well. I am partial to Meguiar`s M105 for a heavy-cut polish, M205 for a medium light polish, and Menzerna PO83RD to finish. I have also had good luck w/ PoorBoy`s SSR3, SSR2.5, and SSR1 products. Others will have different favorites.