PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else still like using a chamois?

Pages : [1] 2

Todd@RUPES
08-30-2011, 10:10 AM
Anybody else still like using a chamois? I recently picked up one of our Prince of Wale`s chamois (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/chamois.html)and felt like I was talking to any friend after many years. This piece of tanned hide was butter soft, soaked in tons of water, and had a great old school feel. Am I the only one who still likes the way they work?

TroyScherer
08-30-2011, 10:44 AM
My Dad still uses a few and uses them regularly. I have switch to a blower and WW towels.

Rocket
08-30-2011, 10:52 AM
I used them for a long time. Once my last one wore out I never replaced it. Funny you posted about this because my father and I were talking about them over the weekend. He loved them more than anything else he has used to dry his car

Have y`all used the Absorber before? I never have but I see so many ads for it I`m a little curious

glfahlc
08-30-2011, 11:00 AM
i used chamois for years and still feel ww towels don`t compare when it comes to water absorption. what stopped me was i was told even if you get the littlest speck of dirt between it and your paint it would produce swirls and rids. i have since moved to the master blaster followed by blackfire qd and a m/f...

RaskyR1
08-30-2011, 11:04 AM
I`ve always liked the way they worked, but just knowing the risk has pushed me away from using them. I think they are great if you do high volume work though.

C. Charles Hahn
08-30-2011, 11:08 AM
Does the ShamWOW! count? :hmmm:

Only kidding. :sorry:

Rocket
08-30-2011, 11:18 AM
Does the ShamWOW! count? :hmmm:

Only kidding. :sorry:

I say wow everytime

PA DETAILER
08-30-2011, 12:21 PM
i still use the absorber. no issues. then picked up a TW RAPID DRY. same material. PVA. i like them. if i had the coin i would like to try a metro master blaster. but sometimes i detail early in the morning, and i am sure the neighbors would be less than amused.

Old Pirate
08-30-2011, 12:39 PM
I use to have many of them and some Absorbers too, but like Rasky has mention it, to me is a little to much of a risk and have stop using them. It`s Metro Vac time with my WW towels for that duty.

Todd@RUPES
08-30-2011, 12:53 PM
i still use the absorber. no issues. then picked up a TW RAPID DRY. same material. PVA. i like them. if i had the coin i would like to try a metro master blaster. but sometimes i detail early in the morning, and i am sure the neighbors would be less than amused.

The P21s and S100 drying towels are very similar and work great as well.

Mr. Clean
08-30-2011, 06:42 PM
I still have a couple of the genuine chamois, but they rarely see much usage and it is extremely unlikely that they will be replaced when they eventually wear out (and they will). When the Absorber and like products came along the "real deal" just didn`t seem to measure up in terms of maintenance, durability and cost and the new kid on the block worked equally as well.

As mentioned above the WW MF towels cannot compete in terms of water removal and the "dangers" of using the chamois products are overstated when used properly. That said I find that the combination of an Absorber and a smaller WW MF make a great tag team for drying not just one, but multiple vehicles.

ca.detailchick
08-30-2011, 08:43 PM
I still use the absorbers . The last one I picked up was the extra large size and I love it. I have never induced scratching with one that I know of except when I started using ONR . This is why I wont use ONR anymore.

Also the absorber can get dirtier than you think so I blast mine out often with a hose nozzle and sometimes they will get little black specks of mold Im guessing and get kind of slimmy, then its time to throw in the washing machine.

I dont care for the leather shammies or the water sprite I thought sucked or didnt suck enough to be more accurate :D

Rocket
08-30-2011, 11:40 PM
DC- how big is the XL version? I`ve seen it but never paid attention to the size

ca.detailchick
09-01-2011, 12:51 AM
DC- how big is the XL version? I`ve seen it but never paid attention to the size
Sorry Rocket I forgot to get back to you. Not sure about the size. I will measure it in the morning for you! If I forget remind me !:)

Reality33
09-01-2011, 09:38 AM
I used to use chamois and the absorber, but now strictly use WW MF towels.

Never had a bad experience at all with either, but I also was very OCD about them (always kept in sealed bags, never laid them anywhere, washed the absorbers regularly). Since I got my hands on WW micro fiber, however, I just love them so much much more.