PDA

View Full Version : DG prescription for new black

Mitchell
08-26-2011, 11:10 PM
Ive got a new black GMC that already has been clayed and have tried multiple waxes and sealants and have not quite got the look I want.

Am also looking for good duration (even though I wax and polish & clean often) , durability & depth . I have used DG 501 as a stand alone but was thinking of doing 601 , 105x2 which I have done before but was wondering about a few layers of 111 on top of that and naturally maintain with FC&S and AW .

I like DG stuff a lot and have used it a lot but unsure of what look I would get from the 111. I don`t want the Zaino plastic look so I would hope 111 would not do that and give some lasting protection since its a pure sealant. It would also have to survive the Wisconsin road salt winters .

I usually use Optimum No Rinse for washing and it works well/ok but am looking for something different but the same type of product/procedure . Does anyone have any DG tricks they use in the same manner ONR works ??

My truck is a full size crew cab so it takes a while to do it and a lot of work . Thats why I am asking before I dive in .

Dr Oldz
08-26-2011, 11:23 PM
I have only used a few DG products so I can not really comment on those. But it seems you are prepping properly and just looking for a LSP with a different look and with good durability. May I suggest Collinite 915. It has a great look on black(IMO) and is tops in durability! It is my winter wax of choice.

Iomcamaro
08-27-2011, 09:02 AM
Ive got a new black GMC that already has been clayed and have tried multiple waxes and sealants and have not quite got the look I want.

Am also looking for good duration (even though I wax and polish & clean often) , durability & depth . I have used DG 501 as a stand alone but was thinking of doing 601 , 105x2 which I have done before but was wondering about a few layers of 111 on top of that and naturally maintain with FC&S and AW .

I like DG stuff a lot and have used it a lot but unsure of what look I would get from the 111. I don`t want the Zaino plastic look so I would hope 111 would not do that and give some lasting protection since its a pure sealant. It would also have to survive the Wisconsin road salt winters .

I usually use Optimum No Rinse for washing and it works well/ok but am looking for something different but the same type of product/procedure . Does anyone have any DG tricks they use in the same manner ONR works ??

My truck is a full size crew cab so it takes a while to do it and a lot of work . Thats why I am asking before I dive in .

Once reason you might have problems with 105 layering is because you can`t do it. 105 is an AIO. When you apply a layer, it removes the layer that you had down before. If I was you, I would put down a layer of 601, a layer of 105, then a layer of 111. That way, you don`t remove what you have already applied. Hope this helps. :bigups

Larry A
08-27-2011, 10:42 AM
Do clean the truck with DG 501. Its a great cleaner sealant. Follow with 601 105 x 2, ore you can follow with Collinite, 845/476.

rwright
08-27-2011, 10:16 PM
Once reason you might have problems with 105 layering is because you can`t do it. 105 is an AIO. When you apply a layer, it removes the layer that you had down before. If I was you, I would put down a layer of 601, a layer of 105, then a layer of 111. That way, you don`t remove what you have already applied. Hope this helps. :bigups

This simply is not true. DG 105 has very light cleaners that will not, I repeat, will not remove previous layers of 105, same goes for 601. I really hope you meant DG 501, as in Marine/RV Polish. This has very strong chemical cleaners that pretty much is pointless to try and layer. DG 501 is a great base to any other DG polish as it thoroughly cleans the paint and leaves a decent amount of protection behind. There are no abrasives in DG 501 so you can polish your paint everyday for a year with no change in paint thickness, and that is straight from Jerry Bailey`s mouth. I wouldn`t classify it as an AIO since it has no cutting ability, but that`s just my personal opinion.

Now with all that being said, in my personal experience DG 111 will leave a glossier look which may reflect your Zaino plastic look. The durability is good for DG 111, better with DG 601 as a base or mixed 4:1 (4 parts 111 : 1 part 601), but you would be better off using 105 in my opinion. I believe this was touched on at Autopia.org as well.