PDA

View Full Version : "Michaels" modeling clay

dave0mary
08-19-2011, 10:59 AM
My wife went to a Michaels store (Chicago area atleast, arts and crafts) and brought me home a 1 lb block of modeling clay. $3.69. THAT`S cheap. So I tried it on my WIFE`S daily driver. Worked well - extremely well. I just had to lube a bit more than usual with DoDo. We`ll let the "purists" reply first; then after they get done lambasting;), then I`d like to hear of any other cheap clay experiences. Notice however, my first try with it wasn`t on a Bugatti. And BTW: I`m anal retentive about car stuff, incl. my BMW. But I always keep an open mind ... and like I say .. it worked well. Can`t see any marring or ? ... thoughts?

Beemerboy
08-19-2011, 11:42 AM
My wife went to a Michaels store (Chicago area atleast, arts and crafts) and brought me home a 1 lb block of modeling clay. $3.69. THAT`S cheap. So I tried it on my WIFE`S daily driver. Worked well - extremely well. I just had to lube a bit more than usual with DoDo. We`ll let the "purists" reply first; then after they get done lambasting;), then I`d like to hear of any other cheap clay experiences. Notice however, my first try with it wasn`t on a Bugatti. And BTW: I`m anal retentive about car stuff, incl. my BMW. But I always keep an open mind ... and like I say .. it worked well. Can`t see any marring or ? ... thoughts?

Get a plastic sandwich bag and palm side down run that over the areas you clayed. If you can feel bumps or anything, the clay did not pickup all the surface contaminants. If not then your golden! :D

Todd@RUPES
08-19-2011, 12:47 PM
Dave, detailing clay and modeling clay are two totally different animals. Detailing clay is actually abrasive and designed to remove contamination by shearing it off as the clay passes over the paint. Detailing clay is actually a tuned abrasive, with various grades of cut and finishing ability. Aggressive detailers clay such as Meguiar`s Pro Red will leave significant scouring and sometimes dull the surface, for example.

Hobby clay is made of clay/mud and can be oil based, ceramic based, or even paper based. Detailers clay is synthetic polybutylene, so even from a chemical stand point they are not the same.

That said if you find you its works for you.