PDA

View Full Version : M205

blk5.0
08-16-2011, 09:13 PM
Is this a good combo fir minor defects m205 orange pad then followed by m205 black pad?

Old Pirate
08-16-2011, 10:28 PM
it all depends on the minor defect your trying to remove. Yes you can the pads you have Orange, White and Black. What car and yr do you have? and paint finish type? You can use the Hydro Tech Pads also with the M205 and get IMO faster results.

blk5.0
08-16-2011, 10:56 PM
i have a 2011 black mustang and i do not have hydro pads only lake county 5.5 black pad and a lake county 6.5 oragne. i plan on buying hydro pads 1 in each color should i jsut wait till i get them?

Nth Degree
08-16-2011, 10:57 PM
On a car with soft, black paint (Acura NSX) I had great success using 205 with an orange pad for correction. I used 85rd to finish. As Angelo said, it depends.
On a lighter colored car with soft paint I would say that might be a reasonable approach. I don`t think I have ever used the same polish to cut and finish while changing only the pad. While it is possible, the results are not optimal, IMO. I have always had another polish to go to. If that is all you have available, I`d say give it a shot. If you don`t get the correction you want you will know you need something with more cut for the correction, then you can follow up with the 205. If you get the correction you want, then it`s just a matter of whether you get improvement from the softer pad. If not, live with the results from single stage correction or move on to a finer polish.

Note: A good detailer spends time testing for the right results on every car . What works on one doesn`t work on another. In the past 3 months I have detailed 3 Acura NSXs and each one has required a different combination.

blk5.0
08-16-2011, 11:04 PM
i dont know if i have soft paint or not i dont detail for a living i just hate black and want as perfect paint as i can get. i would say i am not a noob but not a pro at detailing. only car i do is mine lol. i am making an order for 85rd and hydro pads cause i heard good things about those two items when applied to black paint

Nth Degree
08-16-2011, 11:25 PM
i just hate black and want as perfect paint as i can get.

Be careful! Black paint will drive you nuts. Perfection is nearly impossible and even if you achieve it, it won`t last long that way. :wall

I don`t know how 205 will work for you, but I have had success using Menzern Po203 for single stage correction on medium-hard paint with an orange pad. Still not the best correction and not the best finish, but great balance of the two. On softer paint it would probably correct well with orange pad and finish well with black pad. 205 is similar in finishing, but not quite the same cut.

Good luck.

blk5.0
08-17-2011, 12:02 AM
It`s already driving me crazy lol

blk5.0
08-17-2011, 12:14 AM
Does 85rd dust? i would use it as a finish and m205 with a orange pad or hydro equivalent to correct.

Nth Degree
08-17-2011, 05:15 AM
Does 85rd dust? i would use it as a finish and m205 with a orange pad or hydro equivalent to correct.

No dusting from 85rd. I`d be more concerned with the cutting ability of 205.

Harleyguy
08-17-2011, 06:52 PM
Mustangs have a clear coat more on the harder side from what I`ve experienced but then again I had a Corvette lol . Anyway since the only products you have are 205 and do a test spot with the least aggresive pad you have and see what kind of results you get . If you end up using the Orange pad and 205 and still have defects I wouldn`t do the rest of the car you may not be happy with the results . Need to buy some 105 your also going to need a few more pads then what you have at least 3 of each . Not sure if I missed it what machine are you using ?
One more thing 85rd doesn`t dust

Todd@RUPES
08-17-2011, 07:01 PM
Mustangs have a clear coat more on the harder side from what I`ve experienced but then again I had a Corvette lol . Anyway since the only products you have are 205 and do a test spot with the least aggresive pad you have and see what kind of results you get . If you end up using the Orange pad and 205 and still have defects I wouldn`t do the rest of the car you may not be happy with the results . Need to buy some 105 your also going to need a few more pads then what you have at least 3 of each . Not sure if I missed it what machine are you using ?
One more thing 85rd doesn`t dust

This is really great advice from Adam. :rockon

It`s hard to prescribe solutions to paint problems across cyber space because technique and expectations vary so wildly.

M205 can be moderately aggressive (in fact it can knock down high grit sanding scratches on soft paint if used long enough) because it uses non-diminishing abrasives. While it has the ability to correct with as well as some moderately abrasive swirl removers on some paints with some technique, its intended role was that of a finishing polish.

This is why Adam`s advice (IMO) is spot on. Go out in the garage and polish with M205/orange pad on a test section and see if you are getting the results you desire. M205 can be used the idea you mentioned (switching from an aggressive to a finishing pad to vary the cut) and there is nothing wrong with trying.

You may find it doesn`t get you where you want or doesn`t finish as perfectly as you hoped.

Meguiar`s M105 or even Meguiar`s Ultimate Compound offer more cutting ability, and should take car of deeper swirls much easier. Menzerna PO85rd will finish some paints better than M205, although if you use M205 in a quick set (short work time) and moderate pressure thorough out the buffing cycle you may be surprised at how nice it will finish. I would definitely try out your idea though, it might get you right were you want! :bigups