PDA

View Full Version : restoring headlight lenses

bigron62
04-18-2004, 12:35 AM
ok. thanks to a little help from my friends here i got the headlight restoration worked out heres how i did it . 1. scrubbed with oo steel wool 2. wet sanded with 600,1,000,1,500,2,000 grit sand paper . then i used a small buffing wheel purchased at harbor freight tools mounted to my air drill.i used p&s clearcutII compound . it is a diminishing abrasive compound that removes 1200 grit and finer scratches on the buffing wheel at medium speed .then i put the white pad my pc came with on the pc and applied p&s ultracoat polish on 5.5 or 6. looked killer . then i applied some p&s velocity glaze. i dont think the glaze made a difference. worked great ., im going to start offering this service and making more moola per car. thanks everyone that gave me tips on restoring headlights . i knew it could be done with regular detailing products .

central
04-18-2004, 01:39 AM
:showpics

:D

JimS
04-18-2004, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by central
:showpics

:D

I disagree. IMO pics are mostly worthless. It`s easy to park at the correct angle to the sun etc and get the car to look great....or in this case pics are just unnecessary. The lights were clouded now they`re not and he`s told us how to do it and that`s what is often missing and always needed.

Don`t mean to get in your face central.

:cool

Beemerboy
04-18-2004, 10:28 AM
I see that you use P&S products. I have a local guy here that handles there line. The Smart wax system I think is killer. However there wax is a bit of a dust collector to me. All there products for me work great and are not an arm and a leg in cost.

bigron62
04-18-2004, 10:36 AM
central I AINT MAD AT YA. i bought the most complicated camcorder i could find and i havent figured out everything yet so i explained everything in DETAIL . thats the best i can do right now.:moon: :chill

bigron62
04-18-2004, 10:47 AM
beemer i like p&s but like you said some of the stuff is dusty but they have alot to choose from and the local distributor delivers to my door. hes totally cool and is helping me perfect my skills and im figuring out the products i like and dont like .

Beemerboy
04-18-2004, 11:01 AM
The products that I like are

Shape Up for vinyl dressing
Wipe and Shine for tires
There acid based brake buster for cleaning rims.
Smart system except the wax, there compounds are really good
Enviro-clean for APC Killer smell
Low foam carpet extractor cleaner. Killer smell
Bumper Coat, killer for plastic like on the Jeep Cherokees
I also get from them a product called Autocare that is a water based dressing that I use for wheel well. Spray on and let dry to a nice shine

stainbuster
04-18-2004, 11:36 AM
Two threads on this subject???

Ah well, Bigron, check out the other thread, I responded to that one.\

Congrats on your headlight job? Any pics?

Regards,

stainbuster
04-18-2004, 11:39 AM
http://www.detailcity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=33785#post33785

bigron62
04-18-2004, 01:53 PM
i missed your response on the other thread stainbuster . looks good and thanx for the response. beemer heres the p&s stuff i like. multi dressing for wheelwells and tires also looks incredible when applied to chrome wheels. enviroclean apc for engines floormats and pre treat for extractor. pretty much anything. 10.1 for glass. island shine for engines full strength. paint gloss qd for door jambs and trunk. looks good on mirrors also. extractor shampoo+some fragrance concentrate.for the extractor. thickshine or multi dressing for rubber weatherstripping. paint gloss gives a very natural look on weatherstriping. i like nutural shine on the interior unless customer wants something shiny. NO RUB POLISH aerosol spray dressing for vents and tough spots to get dressing on . also works on the rubber stuff in the door jambs and trunk . for the paint ultracoat polish is awesome topped with ultracoat sealer wax . i tried express wax but didnt like it . too hard to remove too much dust . id like to try some poorboys stuff but the cost is double . is it that much better ???