PDA

View Full Version : Removing Scratches from Windows

Lucian
08-16-2011, 12:26 PM
I would like to know what is the best way to remove scratches from windows? Does it need to be sanded? I have a rotary buffer... Thank you

Todd@RUPES
08-16-2011, 02:00 PM
Lucian, how deep are the scratches in the glass? Can you feel them with a finger nail or are the more like wiper marks?

mrclean81
08-16-2011, 02:58 PM
I`ve got scratches in my windows from front to back thanks to the Border Patrol (previous owners). I`ve looked at the Lake Country Glass Cutting pads but havent tried them out yet. I had planned on getting them and some aggressive glass polish I found on AG a while back and do a big review since nobody had tried anything like that here at that time. Im not convinced yet that glass correction is impossible.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Todd@RUPES
08-16-2011, 04:52 PM
I`ve got scratches in my windows from front to back thanks to the Border Patrol (previous owners). I`ve looked at the Lake Country Glass Cutting pads but havent tried them out yet. I had planned on getting them and some aggressive glass polish I found on AG a while back and do a big review since nobody had tried anything like that here at that time. Im not convinced yet that glass correction is impossible.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Glass Correction is hard work but very possible, I have removed light-to moderate scratches from windows. However there are a couple of issues that can arise.

First, you need to use high speed at a rotary polisher with a felt type pad and a cerinum oxide abrasive. You have to use heavy pressure and high speed which creates a lot of heat. Front windshields are made of safety glass so they have a plastic film in the middle. If you get the glass too hot the plastic can melt causing distortion.

Secondly you, if you are removing too much material you change the curvature of the glass, which changes how the light focuses. This is why telescopes and eye glasses are effective (the curvature). So if you chase too deep of scratch you can get distortion in that spot known as a fish bowl effect.

And finally, when glass is super heated it becomes brittle. You do run the risk of shattering the glass.

Mr. Gloss
09-01-2011, 10:51 AM
The door glass and rear glass are tempered glass. Any dramatic change in temperature can cause them to shatter into tiny pieces. Then you`ll need to make an expensive correction. :D