PDA

View Full Version : Counter-weight?

keeotee
04-17-2004, 05:52 AM
I am planning on using my new pc (7424) today, but I`ve been reading through some threads and I read something about a plate, counter-weight and of course then the pad.

I bought the pc from PAC and the Meguiar`s backing plate/pad kit.

I`ve checked the manual that came with it and I`ve read an article on the pc, but what is the counter-weight, or rather, what does it look like. The article said that the pc comes with the backing plate and the counter-weight, but fo rthe lif eof me I cannot determine what the counter-weight is.

CharlesW
04-17-2004, 06:11 AM
When you look at the tool where the threaded shaft that the backing plate screws on is located, you will see a more or less crescent shaped piece of metal. That`s the CW.
It is shown, but not indicated, on page 10 of the manual.
It may be a 5" or 6", I don`t know what the 7424 comes with.
There is some debate as to how important matching pads to the CW really is. Mine came with a 6" CW and I use Meg`s 5" Velcro backing plate and their 6.5" pads. Seems to be OK. It has been used quite a bit and I have had it since October of 2002.

:dunno

Charles

keeotee
04-17-2004, 08:40 AM
Thanks Charles. Yes, I recall seeing what you describe. Much appreciated. According to the article I read this morning, the 7424 comes with a 5" cw. Well, at least now I know what it is and that I have one. Thanks again Charles! :)

CharlesW
04-17-2004, 09:40 AM
From what I have read, it seems that the 5" or 6" counterweight question has about as many answers as what wax to use.
If you do decide to change the CW, I have heard that they are available through most Porter Cable repair facilities. The price is only a couple of bucks if I remember correctly.

Charles

filipzin
04-17-2004, 10:12 AM
www.properautoare.com has the 6" if you wanted to try it out

http://www.properautocare.com/pocacowe.html

keeotee
04-17-2004, 10:21 AM
Thanks Charles. I`ve got a lot to learn! Appreciate the info. I think I will check into it.

filipzin, thanks for the link. I just checked it out and their opinion is the 5" cw is quite acceptable but do offer the 6". I`m going to use my pc for the first time today on an extremely swirl-marked, black Yukon. I just finished claying. Man this thing is in bad shape.

But I`m not sure if I will know if the 5" cw is good, bad or indifferent really - having no experience with the pc. Well, if it flys out of my hands and land in the back yard, I`ll give the 6" a try!! :)

Appreciate the replies guys.

kimwallace
04-17-2004, 10:22 AM
Probably the only thing you might notice is a little more vibration.
I wouldn`t worry too much ... like Charles said there are many opinions on which weight is best.

keeotee
04-17-2004, 10:36 AM
kimwallace,

yea, that`s what I`m thinking now too.

Thanks.