PDA

View Full Version : BFEP/EZ Creme Glaze overkill?

Bobby G
03-27-2002, 01:05 AM
by David W. Bynon

<font size="1">CopyrightĂ‚©, 1999-2002, Autopia Car Care (http://autopia-carcare.com) -- All Rights Reserved</font>

One of the most important tools a detailer uses is the brush. Automotive detailing brushes come in a variety of shapes and sizes. Both professional and hobbyist detailers, should have a good selection.

Brushes can be purchased through a car care retailer, detailing distributor, or from your local hardware store. There’s no real magic to brushes as long as you use the right brush for each job.

Because everyone works a little differently, we’re all likely to like different brushes. My recommendation is to try a few different types of brushes with different materials and construction. Experiment with a few brushes to see how well they work for you. I buy and test a lot of brushes because I find that the right brush improves both the quality and speed of my detailing work.

A personal word of caution: always cover the metal ferrule (that’s the band at the end of the handle that holds the bristles in place) with electrical tape or duct tape before use. The ferrule will easily scratch wheels, paint and other surfaces if not covered. If you find brushes you like with plastic ferrules, they are a good choice.

Interior Brushes

One of the most important brushes for interior cleaning is the rug brush. The rug brush is used to detail floor mats, carpets and the lower part of many door panels (carpeted). You can also use a good rug brush to clean velour and other sturdy fabric upholstery. To keep these brushes in good shape, make sure you clean them after each use, as they will load up with carpet fibers. I have a heavy-duty, metal dog comb that I use to clean my brushes.

Cleaning leather upholstery is best done with a soft, wooden handle, horsehair brush. I like a small 4-5 inch brush for this job, but many detailers prefer a large 8-10 inch brush. I think the smaller brush makes getting into cracks and crevices easier.

Another indispensable brush for interior work is a vent and console dusting brush. For this, I like a small, round, horsehair brush. Many pro detailers use a 1” to 1.5” natural fiber brush for this task, as it is easier to run down long crevices to get the junk out. A soft bristle brush is best.

Exterior Brushes

Cleaning tires and wheels cannot be done without several different brushes. I use a stiff, short tire brush on tires. For wheels, I have a collection of brushes, including a toothbrush, small bottlebrush, large bottlebrush, a bumper brush with flag cut brushes, and a soft engine brush. I use the engine brush to get around the lug nuts and other tight areas on the front of the wheel. The toothbrush also help get into tight spots. Bottlebrushes are necessary for all spoke (wire rim) wheels and wheels with a spoke pattern. I use the bumper brush to do the large area of the wheel. Using brushes that fit the job can really cut down the time it takes to clean a wheel.

While I’m cleaning the wheels, I also use the tire brush to get up in the wheel wells. If it’s a tight squeeze, you might need to use a smaller brush, but the tire brush seems to do it on most cars.

I use the bumper brush on grills, around taillights, and on the lower half of bumpers and spoilers. Bumper brushes should be a natural bristle brush, such as boar’s hair or a good quality flag-cut brush. Don’t use a stiff brush, as it will scratch or dull painted surfaces.

Prior to waxing, it’s common to clean around all emblems, in the doorjambs, and around body side moldings with an all-purpose cleaning or medium stiffness paintbrush. I also find that old toothbrushes work well, as long as they are soft or medium stiffness. If you don’t clean around these areas with a brush, polish and waxes will build up and your detail job will look sloppy.

Convertible & Vinyl Top Brushes

You’ll need to match the top you’re cleaning with the proper brush. You wouldn’t use the same brush on the fabric top of a Porsche top as you would the vinyl top on a Mazda Miata. The materials are very different. However, the main difference is that the tight fabric weave of most European convertible tops is far more difficult to clean than vinyl. Color matters, too. On fabric tops, I generally use a medium stiff scrub brush. On a vinyl top, I find that a softer brush works better.

Final Detailing

After waxing, use brushes to remove wax from emblems, trim and crevices. I have three different brushes I use for wax clean up: a wooden horsehair paintbrush, a wooden horsehair toothbrush, and a medium stiffness plastic toothbrush. I use the horsehair toothbrush to remove soft wax around moldings and emblems. If I run into hardened wax, I use the plastic toothbrush. The horsehair paintbrush works well on larger areas.

imported_firebird
06-15-2011, 09:22 PM
I used BFEP and really like it. I want to try Chemical Guys EZ Creme Glaze over the BFEP before BDWD as my LSP. Is it overkill? Am I wasting my time?
I`m not so concerned about wasting my time, just more concerned if I would hurt something by this process but can`t imagine would do any damage.
I am not using the glaze for a filler, just more possible shine!
Thank you for your comments.

nothelle
06-15-2011, 09:49 PM
I`d say so... BFWD is a good last step process and better use same brand chemicals for better bonding... you could do a test spot first, but I doubt the difference will be night & day

mikenap
06-15-2011, 09:50 PM
Just a heads up for those that are wanting to use Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish followed by EZ-creme glaze: they are VERY similar products, glazes with cleaners in them. They are both non-abrasive so won`t offer any real correction. I don`t see any benefit in using both products, the cleaners in one will most likely remove the "glaze" of the other.

This is from the last time this question came up. Sorry, I didn`t feel like typing it all over again.:p

imported_firebird
06-15-2011, 10:00 PM
This is from the last time this question came up. Sorry, I didn`t feel like typing it all over again.:p

Oopss..sorry, didn`t see the other post! Sooo...would the following be acceptable under the glaze? I would either be using M205, D300 or Menz 106fa. Again, just looking for more shine under the BFWD. Thanks again everyone!

bmw5541
06-16-2011, 07:52 AM
Oopss..sorry, didn`t see the other post! Sooo...would the following be acceptable under the glaze? I would either be using M205, D300 or Menz 106fa. Again, just looking for more shine under the BFWD. Thanks again everyone!

I agree with Mike. Both the BFGEP and EZ Cream Glaze are very similar and both are not needed.

Depending how bad the paint looks would determine what goes under the LSP. If the paint needs compounding, then yes, D300 would be used. You can follow that with M205 or 106fa, or both with different pad combos. Once again, it really depends on the condition of the paint. Just make sure that after you polish, do a IPA wipe down before applying your LSP, to remove any polishing oils left behind

jaymz
06-16-2011, 07:59 AM
I don`t use BFEP, but I do use BFWD and DG EZ Creme (Danase Wet Glaze). Sometimes I top the BFWG with the EZ, sometimes the other way around. IMHO, that combo works awesome, and is so easy to apply/remove. Not sure if the BFEP/EZ Glaze/BFWD would add anything as far as looks go, but would be interested in others` expereince.

Jim

imported_firebird
06-16-2011, 08:15 AM
I don`t use BFEP, but I do use BFWD and DG EZ Creme (Danase Wet Glaze). Sometimes I top the BFWG with the EZ, sometimes the other way around. IMHO, that combo works awesome, and is so easy to apply/remove. Not sure if the BFEP/EZ Glaze/BFWD would add anything as far as looks go, but would be interested in others` expereince.

Jim

Mmmm...now leads me to another question whether I can top BFWD with CG EZ creme glaze?!!!

jaymz
06-16-2011, 08:22 AM
Mmmm...now leads me to another question whether I can top BFWD with CG EZ creme glaze?!!!

As I said above...I do, and it works great.

Jim

imported_firebird
06-16-2011, 10:23 AM
As I said above...I do, and it works great.

Jim

Ok, guess I could assume that CG and Danase have similiar ingredients and either brand would work over BFWD. Thanks

mikenap
06-16-2011, 11:54 AM
Ok, guess I could assume that CG and Danase have similiar ingredients and either brand would work over BFWD. Thanks

Danase Wet Glaze is similar to CG EZ-creme but without cleaners. The cleaners in EZ-creme will compromise the BFWD durability if you use it as a topper, and may remove it almost completely. Danase Wet Glaze is/was unique in that you could top an LSP with it. I wouldn`t do it with CG EZ-creme.

imported_firebird
07-17-2011, 07:33 PM
Well I finally tested this process. I used BFEP, EZ Creme Glaze and then BFWD. I can`t say it`s night and day BUT I can say that after the E-Z Creme Glaze it`s very slick and even slicker after the BFWD. I swear it`s a better shine than w/o the glaze. I am happy with this process. I don`t think it`s over kill and I do think it`s beneficial.

jaymz
08-03-2011, 08:06 AM
If you don`t like the cleaners in EZ Creme, you can always use Wet Glaze 2.0, which is supposed to be a new/improved reformulation of DWG.

Just bought some; works fine with BFWD.

Jim