PDA

View Full Version : FREE Products And FREE Shipping From ProperAutoCare.com

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Gray Wolf
03-24-2002, 10:42 PM
Ordered Zaino and it should arrive sometime this week for a weekend application. Claying a 3 week old dark blue BMW. This is my first time ever using a clay bar (Zaino`s). Can someone provide directions or a link.

Thanks.

z driver 88t
03-24-2002, 11:01 PM
Do a search for "claying instructions" and you will find this post among others to get more info than you could believe.

The basic procedure is pretty much spelled-out on the Zaino site:

www.zainobros.com

Z-18 CLAYBAR INSTRUCTIONS

Are you sure you want to clay a 3 week old car? I know the Zaino instructions say to do this, but unless you know what you are doing, you can scratch your paint. I did that last year using a Meguairs claybar. I was sooo pissed. Got an older car surface you could practice on?

Otherwise, there is a chemical way to clean your paint. Supposed to be better as overall paint prep than clay and might eliminate any need to clay at all. Especially since the car is so new. Called the ABC system. Do a search and see for yourself. Some think it is great.

Somehow, I think you will get many opinions on this subject....

F1Crazy
03-24-2002, 11:32 PM
I think in this case doing the whole ABC process is unnecessary - stick with a claybar. It`s easier than you think, just make sure your car is extra clean, maybe wash it twice.

Use just enough lubricant to make it possible to move the bar without much pressure. Do not press it down! You will actually hear that clicking sound of bar doing it`s job.

Check David`s e-book for detailed instructions.

If you are still worried try claying your windows first - much harder to make a scratch.

Good luck!

MikeLS
03-24-2002, 11:37 PM
Claying is perfectly safe for all cars, including ones fresh off the delivery truck, if done properly. In fact, most new cars are already contaminated due to rail dust during transport, and claying is a good idea to properly prep the surface. Zaino clay is very easy to use and works wonderfully! I use my wash bucket filled with Z7 suds as my clay lube. I thoroughly wet and lube a small area then begin claying until the whole car is done. Never let the area you`re working on dry out! With proper technique claying is perfectly safe for new cars and trucks.

This site has very good instructions on how to use clay: http://www.erazer.com/prod01.htm (`http://www.erazer.com/prod01.htm`)

imported_Intermezzo
03-24-2002, 11:55 PM
As long as you follow common sense procedures, there`s little risk involved in claying your car. I clayed my cars when they were new because they didn`t have a perfectly contaminant free surface. I think the instructions in the link MetallicM provided are pretty sound.

Another option (instead of stretching and folding to expose a soil-free portion of clay) would be to tear off little pieces of the clay and just discard them after doing a panel.

DETAILKING
03-25-2002, 09:23 AM
EOM

Redcar GUY
03-25-2002, 10:12 AM
I have clayed cars that were brand new! I mean just took off the plastic wrap and dawn wash then clay. Do a search on the forum and I am sure that you will find more than you want to read... Clay is safe, just a with any other product, use it wrong and there could be problems:);)

Blue_Ridge_Products
03-25-2002, 02:14 PM
Clay is fine as long as you have the car spotless, use lots of lubricant and only do small sections at a time with literally no pressure. However, the process is abrasive and you can run into problems if any grit is present on the clay or if you drop it the clay is toast. That is why I switched to the ABC system it dissolves the ferrous particles rather than shearing them off and the whole process is non-abrasive. As you already have the Zaino clay I`m sure you won`t consider ABC you might wnt to consider it for the future.

Michael H
03-25-2002, 03:03 PM
Closer to home look here:

http://autopia-carport.com/Detailing-Articles/Cleaning%20Wtih%20Clay.htm (`http://autopia-carport.com/Detailing-Articles/Cleaning%20Wtih%20Clay.htm`)

imported_Intermezzo
03-25-2002, 03:08 PM
I didn`t know GreyWolf was asking about ABC in his original thread. Hmm, he must have edited his original question or something. :rolleyes:

Blue_Ridge_Products
03-25-2002, 03:16 PM
Actually he was saying he was going to clay a 3 wk old Bimmer having never used clay before. That I think would fall under new car prep which ABC designed for. Just offering the alternative point of view as I think the poster is a novice if he has never used clay before:nixweiss

z driver 88t
03-25-2002, 03:33 PM
Right on, pal. Wish I would have known about the ABC system before I went and clayed my new car and put lots of scratches in it.

I admit, my technique was probably to blame more than anything, but I would have saved time and scratches. Claying is not something for a novice to attempt on a brand new car in my book.

Better to test on an old finish or a panel from junkyard.

imported_Intermezzo
03-25-2002, 03:43 PM
Ready to pick another fight, I see ELD. As you put it, talk about `defending to the death`.

Blue_Ridge_Products
03-25-2002, 03:53 PM
Intermezzo, I am not defending ABC, it is an alternative to a procedure that in the wrong hands can be very abrasive. I assume the guy wants the best for a $30K car it is my opinion that claying it may not result in the best results :rolleyes:

imported_Intermezzo
03-25-2002, 04:09 PM
Hey, hey, hey now. $30K?! Hell, find me someone who`s willing to sell me a 2002 M3 for 30K. I`d plunk down the money in two seconds.

Of course you`re not defending it ELD. How silly of me to think you were. :cool:

Grey Wolf, don`t mind us.:cool: