PDA

View Full Version : pinnacle &wolfgang

Pages : [1] 2

z driver 88t
03-22-2002, 07:07 PM
Scenario:

1. You have separate cotton towels for product application, removal, buffing.

2. You wash & dry all of them together.

Is this a bad idea? Does the wax buffing towel now have polish in it and could scratch up surface, etc? You guys know what I mean...how do you handle this?

:confused:

Detailing NY
03-22-2002, 07:30 PM
I wash everything all together, some people say "yes" some people say "no". I put all the towels in the wash on hot water with a lot of soap. After the wash is completed i run it again with no soap just to clean it out. I have been doing this for years and have never had a problem with it.

I only wash the towels & Micro Fibers, i clean the foam pads myself.

Brian

rd_volvo
03-22-2002, 07:37 PM
Batch One : W/ Tide

All towels-mitts that wash, dry, buff your paintwork.

Batch Two : W/ Tide and 20 Mule Team

Wash mitts for mags, towels for dash and vinyl,

any towels that have things like glass cleaner,

plastic polish, etc.

Another words your toxic/contaminated load.

My 2

old_gonzo
03-22-2002, 09:48 PM
I separate my towels into 3 different catagories, and each catagory of towel is washed and dryed by itself:

Catagory 1: High quality microfiber (CMA & Neatitems) that is only used for QD work, buffing wax or sealant, or drying after a wash.

Catagory 2: Mid-grade microfiber (NicSand) that are used to buff out leather, clean glass, apply 303 to the interior, QD rims, etc.

Catagory 3: All other towels are here. The very low-grade Viking towels (used for the "grunt work" of engine/suspension and wheelwell cleaning) 100% cotton polishing cloths (used for tire dressing) and terry hand towels (used for tire/wheelwell drying). All of these are washed together.

Regardless of which type of towel I am washing, I always set the cycle for the longest wash possible. If I`m feeling ambitious, a second rinse cycle is added as well.

Hope this helps.:)

z driver 88t
03-22-2002, 09:56 PM
I tried some MF towels once from Meguairs and they were absolutely non-impressive. Since then I have a bias against them, but should consider the source:rolleyes:

Are the newer versions really that much better than good old fashion cotton terry?

old_gonzo
03-22-2002, 10:04 PM
Truthfully, I have a hard time with the thought of allowing terry towels to touch the finish on my car - but that`s me. I only use high quality microfiber on my finish.

I`m not surprised that you were less than impressed with Meguiar`s MF towel. Delegate that thing to wheelwell duty, and get yourself some quality MF. Big difference.

:up

z driver 88t
03-22-2002, 10:19 PM
Thanks. I will get some.

What in the world is "fog chicken patrol". Being an expert in absolute foolishness, I have a tendency to notice things like that. It sounds funny.....

:bounce

old_gonzo
03-22-2002, 10:33 PM
Geez, that title goes waaay back to about a year and a half ago, actually.

Way back, someone had posted a thread asking a general question - why did you choose the username that you did for use on the Forum, and does it have any significance?

Well, my username is pretty straight forward: when I was in the market for a Vette, I began to look at ones that were the factory color "arcticwhite", as that was my preference at the time.

Two other members at that time (Bruce and Footy. Footy still posts from time to time; have not seen Bruce around) went to town making up this very funny story about "fog chickens" and how they thought that is why I chose the username that I did. There was even a story about a mongoose thrown in there for good measure. Can`t remember the details to the story, but it was funny none the less.

I guess unless you are from the "old school" (before Autopia even completely changed it`s format) you would have to wonder what the heck "Fog Chicken Patrol" meant.

But, that`s the story. Silly, but true. :D

z driver 88t
03-22-2002, 10:59 PM
Check this out for absolute stupid and silly:

A friend of mine and myself had this high school gym teacher named Steve. He would start talking to you by saying, "Youse guys..." He was a typical macho type, so we used to make up all these stupid stories and tales about him when we got drunk, etc., you know ....stupid stuff is fun.

Steve became like a comic book character and before you know it, we had him doing a "pay per view" fight event with God. Well, you can guess who won, of course. Steve did, he really gave God a beating....Now Steve calls the shots in this universe. Steve was the star of our "kingdom of irrelevance."

And on it goes, it is fun to have someone you can just get silly with...very healthy for stress relief!!

:bounce

titus
03-23-2002, 01:04 AM
Can this message by Footy be the origin of fog chicken patrol (`http://www.autopia-carport.com/forum/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=142&highlight=london+and+fog+and+chicken`)? Ain`t that search function great? Now if I could just figure out how to search for `QD`.:nixweiss

old_gonzo
03-23-2002, 10:05 AM
I can`t get that link to come up...all that appears is a failure to find the server. I`ll have to try later. :)

C. Charles Hahn
03-23-2002, 03:21 PM
I usually wash everything in together....... two loads thru:

1) Tide and Simple Green (about 1/4 cup of SG, with 1/4 cup Tide)

2) No detergents/cleaners

when in the drier, I run thru with no fabric softeners, until the towels are just barely damp......... then I pull them out and hang them around my washroom on strings (indoors mind you)

then when folding them I usually will use the iron (dry) on them once just to make sure everything gets out of the towels. They then go on their shelves in the garage.

03-23-2002, 05:02 PM
I`ve found that one of the most important things is to never, ever, ever wash towels you have dedicated for window glass cleaning with anything else. The only chemical that should ever touch your glass towels are window cleaners such as Stoners, Sprayway, etc. Once you get polish or wax on a towel, it should never touch your glass again, ever. The polish or wax residue will never wash out and will smear your glass. Other than that, I do wash MF towels seperate from cotton towels, and my cheapo "bag `o rags" seperate from my nice Fieldcrest 100% cotton towels.
http://members.cox.net/dwaltz1/Prelude_after_sideangle.jpg

03-24-2002, 03:11 AM
www.pakshak.com. My friend picked some up for me and they are pretty good. They don`t lint and are pretty plush. A hair shy of the Magic Towels but works great. For the price you can`t go wrong. Take a look at their website.

Peace.:D

imported_Intel486
03-24-2002, 01:35 PM
I have different groups for washing my towels.

Microfibers towels are washed together

My two drying 100% cotton bath towels are washed together

My engine cleaning, wheel well cleaning, rim cleaning towels are all washed together.

I hand wash my window microfiber towel. I only use it with water for cleaning. When I use window cleaners I use the old black and white newspaper trick.