PDA

View Full Version : dawn liquid dishwasher soap

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

AlbertoDeKosta
03-21-2002, 10:25 PM
Several weeks ago, after it rained, i saw 2 white spots on my trunklid and 1 spot on my bumper (parked in apartment`s covered garage). It looked powdery so i figured it was dirt from the upper level. But after i washed it about a week later, the spots wouldn`t come off. Weeks passed because i`ve been extremely busy, and i got a letter from the managers of my apartment as an update to their policies. one of the updates - they can`t be held liable for the lime that drips onto cars parked in the garage and can damage the paint! now i am freaked out because i don`t know if the spots are permanent. i read that vinegar can help but can anyone give me detailed instructions on how to go about removing the spots? i am not very experienced in the detailing arena, so i greatly appreciate any help! thanks

imported_Intel486
03-21-2002, 10:34 PM
I wonder if it actually burns into the paint or just sits on the surface.

Try vinegar first. I know you can use it for waterspots.

If that doesn`t work, then you`ll probably need to get a paint cleaner or a polish. But a paint cleaner or polish will probably only help if the lime is on the surface or just damaged the top layer of clearcoats. I`m not too sure what lime can do to paint.

Stupid question alert: Where is the lime coming from?

Bobby G
03-21-2002, 10:36 PM
Sorry to hear about the drip problem. The vinegar wash is pretty simple. Make sure the car is clean first (wash the car), then use a clean sponge and distilled white vinegar (in a bucket) to wash over the areas with lime spots. Allow the vinegar to site for 20-30 seconds, then rinse well. The acid in the vinegar will not hurt your paint if you don`t allow it to dry or sit for more than a few minutes.

After rinsing and drying, check for paint damage. If you find etching in the paint, use 3M Swirl Mark Remover to polish.

db

AlbertoDeKosta
03-22-2002, 10:35 AM
thanks, i will try out the vinegar...as soon as it stops snowing ! i`ve been parking on the upper level (uncovered) of the parking garage ever since the lime drip incident, but now the car is buried in snow. i`ll just have to wait :( btw, the lime is dripping from the ceiling of the parking garage (it is one of those multilevel things that you might find at a mall for example). it must be from rain water that falls on the upper level, collects concrete from the floor, and drips down onto the lower levels through crevices.

...my stupid question alert: is there any specific type of vinegar you recommend (like any particular company, etc?) thanks again!

imported_memnuts
03-22-2002, 10:43 AM
I understand your environmental situation but I would neutralize those lime spots ASAP. The longer this lime stays on the paint the more etching will occur especially if it re-dissolves everyday from a morning dew. Follow DavidB`s advice on vinegar ( any white ) but do it soon.

AlbertoDeKosta
03-22-2002, 05:40 PM
the snow stopped about an hour ago so i went and got the white vinegar. i cleaned off the spots with water, then applied the vinegar with a sponge and left it for 30 seconds. when i washed away the area with water and watched it dry...the spots were gone! i was so surprised that such little effort did the trick. thanks a lot guys!

imported_memnuts
03-23-2002, 08:40 AM
Good job ap50!!! Now maybe you might consider getting a PTA car cover so you park inside and on those raining days cover your car with it. Parking outside all the time exposes your paint to acid rain/snow, bird crap, UV radiation, etc. I think these elements wil be more harmful in the long run than lime deposits that can be quickly removed. JMO.

Congratulation on your lime removal.

dengelson
03-23-2002, 04:38 PM
I think if your trunk is covered with limes it`s time to break out the blender and the tequilla... tailgate party with margaritas!

<em class=`bbc`>clic pic[/i]
http://gasblender.com/gas_powered_blender.gif (`http://gasblender.com/`)

softoa
05-22-2011, 09:20 AM
Hello, It seems a while back, I read on this site something about using Dawn---my sister is using it on her 05 Corvette to wash her car.. I`ve used BFire system on it last fall when she got it .. What does Dawn do---? Is this detergent what is used to get rid of the wax on a car? ,, seems like thats what I recall? thanks, softoa..

SIDetailing
05-22-2011, 09:32 AM
Yes you are correct. Dawn is used to strip waxes

softoa
05-22-2011, 09:40 AM
well, I`ll be telling her to stick to using the Dawn for her dishes.. !! ha!! Guess I`ll get her some decent car wash as that car needs a decent product, Thanks.. softoa..

SIDetailing
05-22-2011, 10:02 AM
No problem. Does she even wax they car after she washes it? If not I can only imagine how the paint is.

TABINHA
05-22-2011, 11:16 AM
According to paint chemists ( Comsumer reports) all you need to do is wash a car on regular basis and there will be no need to wax it. Modern paints to do not need to be waxed to look good over a long period of time as long as they are washed on a regular basis, Thus if you do not wax your car, washing it with Dawn is fine.

If you want your car`s finish to sparkle then you need polish and wax it every few months and Dawn will strip the paint.

softoa
05-22-2011, 01:10 PM
no, I doubt she waxes it, but it sure shines nonetheless.. Maybe from the BFWD I used last fall season on it, have no idea.. I`m not a professional detailer,, so I certainly don`t have the eye that you folks have , nor the expertise.. But, it shines when cleaned , though---I know she won`t use Dawn any longer.. thanks again sir.. softoa.

Trouble
05-22-2011, 02:08 PM
Dawn doesn`t strip wax. If it were the case, why does my car still bead like crazy and I haven`t waxed it in two months :-?

Whoever started this myth doesn`t know what there talking about