PDA

View Full Version : Best choice for 3 inch pad?

smfrycruzr
03-20-2002, 11:49 PM
I just bought some of these today for 14.99 at my local Meijer store and took them home and sanded(220 grit) painted these for my new `02 Xtreme Blazer...used four coats of the color(Victory Red) and five clear coats over that...I must say that the job was simple and the results were excellent to say the least. A great product and when body color matched, an excellent cost effective customization!!!

imported_firebird
05-18-2011, 09:56 AM
I have a PC 7424 with Megs 5 inch backing plate to use mostly with Megs MF discs. I also want like a 3 inch pad for tight spots and escpecially for my Harley. Need advice on whether to add to my buffer collection like with a GG (GG has a special 3" buffer) or another 7424 (but the XP this time) or just get another backing plate. I really don`t like the idea of having to keep changing backing plates even though it takes seconds. Thanks everyone.

imported_TLMitchell
05-18-2011, 10:17 PM
I have a PC 7424 with Megs 5 inch backing plate to use mostly with Megs MF discs. I also want like a 3 inch pad for tight spots and escpecially for my Harley. Need advice on whether to add to my buffer collection like with a GG (GG has a special 3" buffer) or another 7424 (but the XP this time) or just get another backing plate. I really don`t like the idea of having to keep changing backing plates even though it takes seconds. Thanks everyone.

I prefer to have multiple machines with various size backing plates myself. The GG 3" really isn`t the right tool for serious correction although you can manage some with the right materials and exceptional technique. I bought it primarily for use on bikes too but have found numerous uses for it. If I need more correction than it affords I just swap the 3" BP on to the PC or GG 6".

The GG 3" is sweet for spreading waxes, sealants and paint cleansers. There isn`t as much variety of 3" pads as I`d like but they`re around. Richard Lin, the Black WOW guy, has some 3.5" white & orange LC pads on his site, the only place I`ve ever seen them. Some online vendors carry 3.5" PFW as well as some 3" 3M and GG pads. I use LC 4" pads for spreading waxes etc but forget about them for any correction, the smaller pads are what`s needed there. The GG 3" orange pad is pretty capable. Buff & Shine makes 3" pads but their velcro isn`t particularly compatible with any BP I`ve ever tried `em on.

I`ve yet to try the Meg`s 3" MF cutting pads and D300 with the GG 3"er. I`m thinking this may be just the ticket for easier correction with the smaller polisher.

The GG 3"er is a nice tool to have around, especially for long reaches or one-handed tasks. You can get it in to places on a bike that you`ll have clearance problems with a PC but like I said, don`t expect any correction miracles out of it.

TL

imported_firebird
05-19-2011, 08:07 AM
I prefer to have multiple machines with various size backing plates myself. The GG 3" really isn`t the right tool for serious correction although you can manage some with the right materials and exceptional technique. I bought it primarily for use on bikes too but have found numerous uses for it. If I need more correction than it affords I just swap the 3" BP on to the PC or GG 6".

The GG 3" is sweet for spreading waxes, sealants and paint cleansers. There isn`t as much variety of 3" pads as I`d like but they`re around. Richard Lin, the Black WOW guy, has some 3.5" white & orange LC pads on his site, the only place I`ve ever seen them. Some online vendors carry 3.5" PFW as well as some 3" 3M and GG pads. I use LC 4" pads for spreading waxes etc but forget about them for any correction, the smaller pads are what`s needed there. The GG 3" orange pad is pretty capable. Buff & Shine makes 3" pads but their velcro isn`t particularly compatible with any BP I`ve ever tried `em on.

I`ve yet to try the Meg`s 3" MF cutting pads and D300 with the GG 3"er. I`m thinking this may be just the ticket for easier correction with the smaller polisher.

The GG 3"er is a nice tool to have around, especially for long reaches or one-handed tasks. You can get it in to places on a bike that you`ll have clearance problems with a PC but like I said, don`t expect any correction miracles out of it.

TL

Thanks TL. Very helpful!