PDA

View Full Version : Foam Cannon - Foam Lance

Pages : [1] 2

GePapa
03-20-2002, 12:24 PM
Hi all I am new to the board and completely inexperienced in the art of detailing. I looked at the faqs and how to`s and still have some questions.

This is the stuff I have:

Mothers Pre-Wax cleaner

3M Liquid Wax

3M Imperial Hand Glaze

So I am completely confused. The steps I follow are pre-wax then wax. Does Hand Glaze go in the middle after?

How many times a year should I use the pre-wax cleaner(should I always use a pre-wax cleaner before I wax)

Are my cleaning products sufficient or should I add particular things. I do know I need a swirl remover.

Thanks for your help and for not flaming

MikeLS
03-20-2002, 01:23 PM
From the products you want to use, here`s the way I would go about it. First apply the Mother`s Cleaner to the whole car. Once or twice a year is adequate for paint cleaners unless you need to touch up certian areas. Next, apply the 3M IHG. The 3M is for pure gloss enhancement, as it has no long term durability. So, finally, seal it up with the 3M wax. If you need a swirl remover, use 3M SMR #39009 or Meguair`s #9 2.0 after you apply the Mother`s cleaner. Apply the 3M wax whenever you like, there`s no need to use the cleaner or polish every time you wax. These products should produce a nice shine if done properly, the problem is that after all the work, it won`t last longer than a month in most cases.

Also, it`s a very good idea to use a clay bar before you start the cleaning and swirl removing.

HTH

MM

:xyxthumbs

GePapa
03-20-2002, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the info. Do you suggest anything that will work longer or is better?

Thanks

MikeLS
03-20-2002, 01:32 PM
Paint sealants offer long term shine and UV protection, as most contain polymers instead of "waxes". The Big 3 you may want to search on are Zaino, Klasse, and Blackfire. However, others have reported good results using Meguiar`s #20 polymer sealant. Many also like to follow up with a wax, like your 3M wax, on top of the sealant (Klasse/BF) to change the look.

GePapa
03-20-2002, 01:41 PM
so in that case I would go.

Cleaner wax

3M IHG

Paint Sealant

3M wax

?

Thanks

MikeLS
03-20-2002, 01:52 PM
The process for using sealants is a bit different since most sealants will not bond over wax or oils.

A good plan of action in that case would be:

1. Dawn wash

2. Clay (optional, but highly recommended)

3. Paint cleaner and swirl remover of your choice

4. Another Dawn wash to remove the oils left from the cleaner and/or swirl remover

5. Sealant of your choice (Zaino, Klasse, BF, #20 etc)

6. Wax topper (optional over Klasse, BF, or #20)

A sealant must be applied to a completely wax and oil free surface, so you couldn`t use IHG, or any wax, before applying the sealant. Thus the reason for the DAWN wash in step 4.

:)

GePapa
03-20-2002, 02:50 PM
Dawn as in the detergent?

Do you recommend I use the 3M wax for the wax topper?

I figure a mother`s clay bar is fine right?

I really appreciate all your help thanks

MikeLS
03-20-2002, 03:48 PM
Yeah, Dawn dish soap strips all the oils and wax off to leave a good surface for the sealant to bond. In other words, the oils left behind from your paint cleaners and swirl removers will have to be removed prior to using a sealant. Dawn soap is a great way to quickly remove the oils. You only Dawn wash once or twice as prep, but always use a good car soap afterwards. 3M wax would be an OK topper as long as it`s a pure carnauba, i.e. no cleaners. If it contains cleaners, it will strip all your sealant, so it`s very important to use a pure wax for the topper. 3M gives a nice shine but lacks a little on durability. Most use Pinnacle, P21S, Meguiar`s #26, or Blitz as toppers as they all are pure carnaubas.

Mother`s clay bar is fine. It should leave the surface smoother than glass after use.

HTH!

old_gonzo
03-20-2002, 05:35 PM
Nice Responses, Mike. :xyxthumbs Couldn`t have said it any better myself. ;)

GePaPa - I wouldn`t worry too much about getting flamed here, people are very friendly and are more than willing to try and help out. You have found a great site - it should serve you well.

Besides, we`re all "newbies" at some point.

GePapa
03-21-2002, 09:40 AM
Thanks alot guys. Very nice forum. I am glad I found it.

Paul Sparks
05-16-2011, 07:37 AM
Ok I need some education on terminology here from the experts. What is the difference of a foam cannon vs a foam lance. I understand a Foam Gun hooks to the water hose and both the cannon and lance hook to a pressure washer.Is there any other difference between these two ? I see foam cannons listed at quite a higher price then the foam lance and wondered what I`m missing here. When I first started to visit the forums and saw cars being foamed I laughed and thought it was just a gimmick. Week before last I had a chance to see a foam cannon being used on multiple vehicles and was truly impressed.I don`t see the need for this on every car but would come in quite handy up north here for winter clean-up and dirtier vehicles.Now I`m hooked but need to know the difference between the two if any.:confused:

Paul Sparks
05-16-2011, 06:42 PM
Bump ? ? ?

gmblack3
05-16-2011, 06:57 PM
I believe lance and cannon are the same, both are used with a pressure washer. A foam gun is used with a hose and does not produce as much foam as the others.

johnboy
05-16-2011, 06:59 PM
they are for the most part the same thing,

imported_glfahlc
05-16-2011, 07:07 PM
there`s plenty of examples on you tube. i`m not sure if they are the same but both are very similar and fun to use.