PDA

View Full Version : Powerlock for BFWD

iluvspl
03-19-2002, 12:31 AM
Well i have my black 2001 is300. I have done everything to this car SMR with PC and ppcl with pc and always use souveran as a finisher. I buff everything off with either the green yosteve towels or giots garage microfibers. I use a red giots polishing pad for the ppcl and a greyish black pad from top of the line for the SMR. I dont have anyswirl problems really just this little scratches everywhere that i can only see in certain light up close. I dont see how i go them the car is new and completely babied. i mean waxed at least 2 times a month and covered and washed about 3 times a week. I wash with a syenthic lambs whool wash mit i believe its called and dry with the absorber. the wax is applied with a closed foam applicator if thats important. Im not sure if i should use something more abbrasive or what to do. Ive given up it looks great accept up close with those damn litttle scratches. Give me some advice with pad types, pc speeds, and maybe different products and tecniques to use.

Thanks all,

From another car detailing fool =)~

03-19-2002, 01:18 AM
Hey I have an IS300 also, except it is silver. It your car clearcoated, I heard black lexuses aren`t clear coated. Anyway I think the problem is your washing method. Washing seems to be the number 1 source of swirls/micro scratches. You must use the 2 bucket method if you have a black car and get rid of that fake sheep skin wash mitt! Get a microfiber wash mitt or a 100% cotton chenille wash mitt. This will greatly reduce future swirls on your wonderful lexus :) . Have you tried meguiars scratch-X. I heard this is a really good product and I may pick up a tube for myself. Or better yet try 3M finesse it 2 (following carguy`s instructions) and then follow up with some 3M smr. This got the swirls out of his black porsche. Good luck!

Clean Dean
03-19-2002, 01:40 AM
I worked this product with the PC 7424 on the trunk and rear of my car (Black Mustang GT) for about 30 minutes and follow it with SMR. I park under a light everynight that highlights every imperfection in your paint. That night I found that the trunk and bumper area had about 85% of the swirls totally removed !!! Definitely follow Carguys instructions. I did ...Thanks Carguy !!!:xyxthumbs

lovesolderplymouths
03-19-2002, 09:55 AM
whoo, hold it right there AlBoston, black lexus are NOT clear coated? where did you hear that from?!

:scared

iluvspl
03-19-2002, 11:06 AM
the only black lexus that is not clear coated were the older sc400 and 300`s. all me dumb but what is the 2 bucket method i have heard of it many times but have forgotten.

DETAILKING
03-19-2002, 11:28 AM
and get a quality cotton one. When I used a sheepskin on my red car it was scratch city...........

Sharkie
03-19-2002, 11:53 AM
Heh I think there’s two, two bucket methods, not sure what is common practice here. 1st one is to have a bucket with suds and the 2nd with rinse water for the wash mitt. Suds mitt, wash section, dunk wash mitt in rinse bucket, repeat. 2nd method is to have 2 suds buckets one for “above the belt†and one for below. With the 2nd method I think you can accomplish the same thing washing from the top down, but better safe than sorry I suppose.

SJS

03-19-2002, 03:06 PM
sharkie is right about the first 2 bucket method. That is the one most autopians use, one soapy bucket, one clean water bucket. First hose the panel, then dunk in soapy bucket (not all the way to the bottom so you wont pick up dirt that fell out of the solution) and wipe the panel in a back and forth motion (direction of airflow). Then dunk the mitt in the clean water and rinse off all the dirt (do this VERY often if the car is very dirty). This highly reduces the amount of swirls that you will get later. BTW I used to use a sheepskin mitt on my ML, thats how I got all my swirl marks :( . Wish I knew about autopia back then.

edit: after you finish getting the swirls out I would apply a polymer sealant like klasse. This will help protect from future marring and provide additional UV protection. The reason I suggest klasse for you is because it looks great on black and you can continue to use souveran as a topper, unlike zaino :down . check the pictures of my black ML on the member pictures forum

AlBoston`s black ML (`http://www.autopia-carport.com/forum/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=8232`)

imported_Wes
03-19-2002, 03:42 PM
About washing..... I know someone here use a host attachment to spray the car with soap+water first before using the mitts.

I use a 32 oz spray bottle and mix Z7+water and spray on the wet car after the intial hose down. Let it sit for 3-4 minutes and then hose it down again. This lift off a lot of dirt and I think it is safer before your mitts rubs on the surface.

imported_Intermezzo
03-19-2002, 04:19 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by AlBoston [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>you can continue to use souveran as a topper, unlike zaino :down .[/b]</blockquote>
Ali,

There is nothing inherently different about Klasse that`s missing in Zaino that will allow you to use a carnauba topper my friend. :)

z4zen
03-19-2002, 11:10 PM
Intermezzo -- I like the title you have under your name -- GO BRUINS! :D

byrdpt
03-20-2002, 12:46 AM
Where are these car guy instructions on the Finesse it 2 ?

03-20-2002, 12:49 AM
search for posts by carguy, you`ll find them. if someone is nice enough they will post a link. :)

Clean Dean
03-20-2002, 01:03 AM
http://www.autopia-carport.com/forum/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=4686 (`http://www.autopia-carport.com/forum/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=4686`)

My all time favorite post !

imported_firebird
05-08-2011, 10:53 PM
I know they`re basically the same but I`d rather have BFWD. I used the Powerlock once.