PDA

View Full Version : Interested in Wheel Wax Glacier Polish

orion
03-18-2002, 11:06 AM
Hi,

First off, this is one of the most helpful sites I`ve bookmarked!

I`ve read many posts on this forum already but still can`t figure out when I would use a clay bar, and when to use a paint cleaner (like ppcl or aio?, and when to use both together.

This weekend I tried to detail my white C43. I`ve had it since Oct 99. I used these products:

dawn (to remove the "coating" they put on it)

mother`s clay (but only as spot treatment)

klasse sg

p21s wax

But since I only spotted with clay, some of the paint is still bumpy. So I think I`m missing either the AIO or PPCL step, is this right?

Jngrbrdman
03-18-2002, 11:13 AM
Since your car is a 99 then it would probably be good to clay the whole car. Industrial fallout (IFO) is something that plagues all cars and clay helps remove the small pieces of metal that dig their way into your finish. It also helps clean off the overspray and brake dust that can cause problems. AIO will only do so much but if you clay the car first then the AIO will provide a good foundation for the SG. SG will also be eaiser to apply and buff off if you have a coat of AIO underneath.

PPCL will work really well if you use it in combination with the clay and AIO. I don`t think that it is totally necessary though. You could probabyl get away with just the clay for now. If you have access to the PPCL and have the time to use it then go for it. Your car will definatly benefit from it.

Pinnacle makes a really good clay if you are in the market for one that is a little better than Mother`s. Mother`s seems to be the clay of choice when Pinnacle and Zaino clay products aren`t availible so you are using a pretty good product as it is.

Welcome to the forums! You have a good grasp on our jargon already. :) Its nice to see that. You are sure to find excellent help and a variety of suggestions on this board. Have fun!

imported_Intermezzo
03-18-2002, 12:51 PM
<em class=`bbc`>"I`ve read many posts on this forum already but still can`t figure out when I would use a clay bar, and when to use a paint cleaner (like ppcl or aio?), and when to use both together."[/i]

As always, Jngrbrdman`s advice is extremely sound.

Use clay to remove embedded surface contaminants.

Use a cleaner/abrasive to deep-clean/remove surface imperfections (like swirl marks).

A car that`s over two years old will require a complete claying & cleaning (& swirl-removal). Reclay the entire car and follow that up with AIO or PPCL. But AIO or PPCL will only remove very light swirls. You will require something stronger if you wish to remove swirl-marks.

Your paint should be smooth and free of any bumps after claying. After AIO or PPCL, your paint should be smooth and soft to the touch and ready for your SG and carnauba.

dengelson
03-18-2002, 01:03 PM
Working on a white vehicle illustrates the answer to your question. If white paint is cleaned but you still see specs. That`s the stuff that needs to be clayed. However it can be difficult to tell by looking just what the composition of the spots on your paint are. They may look like they need a clay bar to remove them but turn out to come off quite simply with AIO. The reverse is true as well.

If you have the time I`d use AIO first because that, in my experience, will remove most of the specs in the paint and thereby reduce your time spent claying. Then use the clay bar on the specs that AIO leaves behind. Then use AIO once more before moving on to the SG.

orion
03-19-2002, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the great responses!

orion
03-19-2002, 05:46 PM
One more followup question... why do I need PPCL AND AIO? Don`t they do the same thing?

Also, if I already have SG, then should I keep using AIO, or is it ok to use PPCL with it?

vettefan67
03-19-2002, 06:06 PM
AIO is more abrasive than PPCL and strips the fillers left by PPCL. I would not recommend PPCLing before AIO - talk about a waste of time (on a prepped car?).

Some like DavidB have had good results using PPCL before SG instead of AIO, but I haven`t.

imported_Intermezzo
03-19-2002, 11:38 PM
orion,

In case you didn`t totally and completely understand what puterbum just said (I`m not sure I did myself), you do not need to use both. Just use one or the other, preferably AIO.

Sometimes our puter gets a little overly philosophical on simple questions. :D ;)

vettefan67
03-20-2002, 09:04 AM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Intermezzo [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>orion,

In case you didn`t totally and completely understand what puterbum just said (I`m not sure I did myself), you do not need to use both. Just use one or the other, preferably AIO.

Sometimes our puter gets a little overly philosophical on simple questions. :D [/b]</blockquote>I don`t think I understand it either. :D

orion
03-20-2002, 10:52 AM
ahhh, nothing worse (better?) than an overzealous detailing nut.... :D

thanks for the clarification. I was contemplating on getting the PPCL since its on sale at CMA right now. But I think I`ll get the AIO instead since I already am using SG.

this board rocks!

Caldy
04-15-2002, 05:26 PM
What I would do if you dont know what to do even though this will take a while i would use paint cleanser for the whole car then feel it and if contaminents still exist go with the clay. Clay the whole car .Then re apply paint cleanser and then wax and i bet it will be smooth

GOOD LUCK

imported_Intermezzo
04-15-2002, 05:32 PM
Since the car is a couple years old, it will definitely need both claying and a paint cleaner/polish. The thing puter and I were discussing was not whether both clay and a cleaner are needed... that much is a given. The question was whether or not both PPCL and AIO are needed. :)

William420
04-15-2002, 08:00 PM
Yup just like everyone says. :D

I`ve played with AIO 2 times on 2 different cars, and AIO is definitely no replacement for clay.

Most of the comments I see on this forum seem to state AIO is pretty harsh, but to my experience I find it quite mild!

Just my 2 cents. :)

Lemonxxs
04-15-2002, 10:05 PM
Clay first so the contaminates are not in the way when you clean the paint with which ever product you choose.

The contaminates will not allow for proper cleaning near them since they are higher then the paint and will lift your app in the vincinity.

BIOLINK
05-05-2011, 01:10 PM
No interest I guess. :toetap05: