PDA

View Full Version : I`m a Believer!

Pages : [1] 2

rd_volvo
03-17-2002, 05:06 PM
Who makes the best and prettiest mag wheels?

I`m thinking about the BBS RX but i`m sure there are many

others out there.

TY

imported_BretFraz
03-17-2002, 07:23 PM
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder. Buy whatever turns your crank.

As far as quality goes, many of the new "gangsta/rice/evo/pro rally brands actually make a poor quality wheel. Many of them bend easily. There are a million wheel mfr`s out there and many are getting them from foundrys in places like Maylasia and other asian countries. Companies go there for cheap product made to their design spec.

Hopefully you`ll find a wheel that is well made and looks great. Happy shopping.

rd_volvo
03-17-2002, 07:57 PM
Hey Bret,

You say " Companies go there for cheap product made to their design spec."

Rented Zoolander yesterday. Your right on the money. LOL

Hope BBS isn`t manufactured there.

imported_BretFraz
03-17-2002, 10:21 PM
RD,

Actually BBS is one of the mfr`s everyone looks up to when it comes to QC. They`re great wheels in many ways.

Guess I gotta rent "Zoolander" now...

corvettez
03-18-2002, 06:57 AM
these have the outer lip machined with the rest of the wheel being painted and clearcoated. They are oem spec and at 17x7.5 and weigh nineteen lbs.

Jngrbrdman
03-18-2002, 08:57 AM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by v85097 [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>these have the outer lip machined with the rest of the wheel being painted and clearcoated. They are oem spec and at 17x7.5 and weigh nineteen lbs. [/b]</blockquote>
Those look a lot like the Racing Hart C2 rims. Those look really nice.

http://www.wheelmax.com/Wheels/RacingHart/new/c2.gif

I`m getting some new rims this spring. My winter rollers have seen better days and I`m looking forward to nicer wheels. :)

corvettez
03-18-2002, 09:14 AM
Hey thanks Jngrbrdman,

These are what I run in the summer time. I think it`s like after you buy a car, you start seeing it a lot after that. One thing I found out about the wheel market was that some companies lower their prices in the early spring and then raise them in the summer time. That`s a clean, (lines) looking wheel from Racing Hart.

rd_volvo
03-18-2002, 10:13 AM
I was also toying with the idea of chrome dipping my

existing 5 spoke clear coat mags but have some concerns :

1- Is chroming impossible with certain alloys?

2- I have winter mags so these would not see snow and salt.

Do dipped rims start to lose their look after a while?

3- Do dipped rims bubble or pit after time?

[even with a lot of polishing]

4- Do dipped rims have problems with lug hole and mount

hole size after dipping. Another words, are your holes

going to shrink?

5- Cost of a high quality dip? A friend in racing said there is

some kind of 3 step nickel coating procedure for a quality.

Or is it better to just go and get after markets.

5- Any other possible nasty surprises I might have concerns

about?

TY

RD

corvettez
03-18-2002, 11:27 AM
I never saw chrome wheels on a C70, I suppose if you were going to do it and have it look good then chrome oem wheels would be the way to go. I never had to deal with having the process done but it sounds like it would need a certain amont of research into what is the best way to do it. I am having my summer wheels (posted above) repainted in the Volvo anthracite gray after this season since I will be braking down the tires to replace them as well after this upcoming season. I see a black C70 in my area now and then with Volans on it, nice looking car.

boywonder
03-18-2002, 12:35 PM
Personally, I tend to lean toward the aggressive side of fence when it comes to rims. I like them to also complement the lines of the car they are going on. I have seen so many "Ghettofabulous" rims on different vehicles ranging from a New Escalade to a 1979 Malibu and they really don`t work on certain vehicles (The newest one is by Lowenhart).

In my case, I am planning to put this rim on my new Maxima. This is the OZ Racing Antares in chrome. I am planning to go 18" because 19" would be really asking for trouble driving around the pothole capital of the world. :D

imported_BretFraz
03-18-2002, 01:41 PM
I don`t work in this industry but I have family and close friends who do, and have for many years. Chroming factory alloy wheels may be a freak occurance in the Northeast but it`s quite common in places like So Cal. Virtually every new car dealer has cars on their lots with the OE wheels chromed. It`s a popular accessory and big business. If a car has an aluminum OE wheel on it, it can be chromed.

Usually the easiest way to get chrome wheels is to get "take offs". These are the identical OE wheel to your car but came from someone else and have been chromed. Platers will buy sets of various wheels and plate them. When someone (like a dealer) wants a set of chrome wheels in that exact style, the plater gives the dealer the already chromed wheel and takes the non-chromed wheel, starting the process all over again. There are platers that focus their business on dealers and wheel/tire shops and have dozens of wheels in stock, already plated. You can certainly have your own wheels plated but expect a delay. It`s a good idea to contact local platers to see if the do "take off" business with dealers. If so they may have a set of wheels for you ready to go.

Cost on plating wheels varies with the quality of the job. The typical price for plating wheels is $100-150/wheel. Dealers pay close to the $100/wheel price, maybe less if they do a ton of volume with one plater. The bigger and more elaborate the wheel, the higher the price to chrome it. Don`t pay more than $150/wheel unless that particular plater does work that is wayyy better than their competition. Or you`re having a set of 20" wheels plated.

As far as the process goes, in simple terms your OE wheel is stripped, cleaned, and polished. It`s then plated in copper, then polished again. Next step is layers of nickel. The white/blueish shiny look of "chrome" wheels isn`t chrome at all, it`s nickel covered by chrome. Cheap platers apply one layer of nickel, polish the wheel, and ship it. But the best platers do a three-layer plating in nickel. Then they do a final layer in chrome. Chrome has a blueish tint that offsets the yellowish tint of nickel. This leaves the whiteish mirrory final appearance. Think of chrome as the protective layer over the nickel.

You`ll hear the terms "three step plating" or "show chrome". Basically they mean the same thing. The wheel has gone thru three steps of plating (copper, nickel, and chrome). And the wheels has received multiple layers of nickel and chrome, typically three. The best chrome plating jobs on show cars have gone thru this three step process.

As far as losing their look or bubbling/pitting/rusting, a poor quality plating job will cause this to happen eventually. But a top quality plating job and careful maintenance will keep chrome looking great for decades.

Does chrome have a build up that affects hole sizes and the like? No. Chrome plating for decoration (which is essentially what everyone wants/gets) is millionths of an inch thick. It has no practical impact on the dimension of holes or whatever.

Hopefully this primer to chrome plating helps. Best thing to do IMO is ask other car nuts if they know of good local platers. Ask at car shows too. Many car show people have relationships with their platers so they know the good ones. You can always ask your dealer who they get their chrome take-offs from as their probably is a local plater that does alot of biz with dealers. Yellow pages, internet search, even Hemmings Motor News will clue you in to good platers.

<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by rd_volvo [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>I was also toying with the idea of chrome dipping my
existing 5 spoke clear coat mags but have some concerns :

1- Is chroming impossible with certain alloys?

2- I have winter mags so these would not see snow and salt.
Do dipped rims start to lose their look after a while?

3- Do dipped rims bubble or pit after time?
[even with a lot of polishing]

4- Do dipped rims have problems with lug hole and mount
hole size after dipping. Another words, are your holes
going to shrink?

5- Cost of a high quality dip? A friend in racing said there is
some kind of 3 step nickel coating procedure for a quality.
Or is it better to just go and get after markets.

5- Any other possible nasty surprises I might have concerns
about?

TY

RD [/b]</blockquote>

rd_volvo
03-18-2002, 06:21 PM
Exxxcellent Bret,

Thanks for all the great info. I heard of the " take-off"
option before but i`m such a flippin neurotic that I
do not want to take a chance and get a some one
elses headache. Another words their bent rims or
any other mess-ups there may be with the rims.

That`s great news that chromed rims last a long time if
well cared for.

A few years ago I saw the chrome dipped 5 spoke Volvo Calisto`s on " wheel of fortune" and fell in love. They looked better than Vana White. LOL

Three years ago I purchased Mille Meglia mags
with Bridgestone Blizzaks from Tirerack for the winter time .
I tro them on in December and take em off in March.

Next winter may be a good time to get my Calisto`s dipped
cause my Michelin Pilots are almost bald . $150 a pop sounds
very attractive compared to BBS RX II Chromes which go for
about $ 500. a pop. And with the Michelin Sports costing me around $ 1200, dipping my Calisto`s sounds real nice.

Plus the BBS will probably be a nice theft magnet here in New York.

I think I`ll call Sal Zaino or Dave[my zaino salesguy] to see who would be the best chrome man in the NY tri-state area. Being a paintwork legend from Coney Island I`m sure Sal will know " the man ` for the job. I`m sure in South Cal you have the pick of the litter.

The Tirerack.com image below shows my car with the 5 spoke Calisto`s.

http://www.tirerack.com/upgrade_garage/WheelSearch.jsp?&autoMake=Volvo&autoModel=C70+HPT+Coupe&autoYear=1999 (`http://www.tirerack.com/upgrade_garage/WheelSearch.jsp?&autoMake=Volvo&autoModel=C70+HPT+Coupe&autoYear=1999`)

Thanks Again,

RD

69-912
03-20-2002, 08:53 AM
Borbet Type-Bs are awesome for the price.

corvettez
03-20-2002, 09:44 AM
Borbet does have some nice looking wheels and Tire Rack has some of the different models on sale from time to time.

JasonC8301
04-09-2002, 01:57 AM
Bret, some very nice info, the wheels on a Mustang detailed used to be chrome, pitted and chipped now sitting in my cousins basement, he had to put back on the OEM wheels.

I have to call up Dave (my Z dist. too rd-volvo) and place an order for Z-12. This is for you PrinzII! Gonna do a write up on this product next week, test car 1991 Corolla. If I can`t wash it, I`ll do everything else to it that doesn`t need a hose (engine, interior, and glass.)

Jason