PDA

View Full Version : D301 after sealant?

Pages : [1] 2

wizardofahs
03-14-2002, 03:00 AM
I have a black car, and on the front 1/3 or so of my hood i have a lot of tiny scratches. The best way to describe them is they look like those little white fibers that some cotton towels leave behind. Infact i first knoticed them after i removed wax using one of those towels. I thought it was just some fibers caught in the wax.

Today i dawned and clayed it and realized they were fine chips or scratches. They are also very very numerous (i don`t even think i could count them all).

I have read in the Ebook on how to repair scratches.. and am fairly confident i can do so. But is there an easier way? rather than doing each little tiny scratch, which would take hours and hours, could i just spray paint that part of the hood with a very light coat of touch up paint then use the rubbing compound and all that? or would this make the front part of the hood look bad. I am going to use some FI-II tomorrow with the wool pad to get out some swirls and things... but i`m sure that won`t cover them up. You can see white in the scratches. Might blackfire or something cover them good? I`m even tempted to use that color matched turtle wax polish if it would fill them in.

My other option right now is just to save up for a carbon fiber hood, which i was planing on doing anyway.

Andre'
03-14-2002, 03:50 AM
Have it painted or buy the hood that`s about all you can do.

imported_2wheelsx2
03-14-2002, 03:57 AM
welcome to crappy honda paint. i have an accord and have the exact same marks, go to any honda forum and everyonr has the same problems.

Preachers Sheets
03-14-2002, 08:46 AM
If you replace the defects with fresh paint over alllll those spots and stand back it won`t look nice because the other paint wont be the same shade and it won`t be perfectly applied (100 of marks cannot be done exactly the same every time). When you stand back from the car you`ll bite your fingernails.

I would highly recommend taking it to a shop and having them do it.

Friggin idiots took my hood and painted it smoother than the rest of my car, now it looks odds, idiots.

imported_firebird
04-15-2011, 09:59 AM
I don`t know that I want to just use D301 after D300 so to not just let D301 sit on the shelf, is it possible to use a sealant such as BFWD and then top with D301? I believe D301 is a combo polish and wax but wondering if you can top a sealant with D301? If it`s possible, I would not use the mf finishing disc as it may have some cut, I would use a foam pad with the D301.

Street Dreams
04-15-2011, 10:40 AM
I don`t know that I want to just use D301 after D300 so to not just let D301 sit on the shelf, is it possible to use a sealant such as BFWD and then top with D301? I believe D301 is a combo polish and wax but wondering if you can top a sealant with D301? If it`s possible, I would not use the mf finishing disc as it may have some cut, I would use a foam pad with the D301.

I would use the D301 first and then top it with a sealant. 301 has some cut however slight it may be whereas BFWD has zero. Chances are having BFWD down first and then using 301 on top could remove some if not all the BFWD.

For the record I tried this with powerlock and it works fine, that its D301 first then powerlock on top.

GoFast908Z
04-15-2011, 11:08 AM
A sealant will bond on top of 301?

imported_firebird
04-15-2011, 06:14 PM
I would use the D301 first and then top it with a sealant. 301 has some cut however slight it may be whereas BFWD has zero. Chances are having BFWD down first and then using 301 on top could remove some if not all the BFWD.

For the record I tried this with powerlock and it works fine, that its D301 first then powerlock on top.

David did you do an IPA wipedown prior to the powerlock?

imported_firebird
04-17-2011, 06:44 PM
So today I used the mf discs with both D300 and D301. I then used Powerlock WITHOUT doing an IPA wipedown. Results are awesome. Curious though, how would I know if the sealant didn`t bond to the D301? Everything went on and off nice. What are the signs of something not bonding?

PAR Detailing
04-17-2011, 06:59 PM
So today I used the mf discs with both D300 and D301. I then used Powerlock WITHOUT doing an IPA wipedown. Results are awesome. Curious though, how would I know if the sealant didn`t bond to the D301? Everything went on and off nice. What are the signs of something not bonding?

Look for the sealant on the floor the next morning. :rofl: Im just joking, Im not trying to be a smart butt. There isnt really a way to tell other than time.

imported_firebird
04-17-2011, 07:09 PM
Look for the sealant on the floor the next morning. :rofl: Im just joking, Im not trying to be a smart butt. There isnt really a way to tell other than time.

Ha! Good thing I have a sense of humor! So time you say...meaning if it didn`t bond I won`t have beading action after a bit (i.e. won`t last 3-6 months)? Will be hard to say what`s beading - the sealant or D301. It really looks awesome though!

PAR Detailing
04-17-2011, 07:16 PM
Ha! Good thing I have a sense of humor! So time you say...meaning if it didn`t bond I won`t have beading action after a bit (i.e. won`t last 3-6 months)? Will be hard to say what`s beading - the sealant or D301. It really looks awesome though!

Ya exactly. You will be able to tell by the beading and the tricky part is you wont know if its the sealant or 301 making the water bead up. Unless someone else knows something I dont, I dont think there is a way to tell.

Todd@RUPES
04-18-2011, 07:47 AM
Applying D301 after a sealant is going to remove the sealant (or whatever product is on the paint) fairly quickly. D301 has SMAT abrasive technology and is capable of doing very minor paint correction.

imported_JSFM35X
04-18-2011, 08:41 AM
Applying D301 after a sealant is going to remove the sealant (or whatever product is on the paint) fairly quickly. D301 has SMAT abrasive technology and is capable of doing very minor paint correction.

Have you determined if a sealant would stick or bond to d301?

BIOLINK
04-18-2011, 10:17 AM
Have you determined if a sealant would stick or bond to d301?

Why do you want to use D301 as part of a layering regimen?

I Know you are specifically asking th0001, but let me throw in my two cents. When I first became interested in detailing the craze was P21S on top of Klasse. The reason was that some wanted Klasse to have a bit more shine. Klasse works because the wax doesn`t disturb it and the wax is short lived anyway so you can refresh as you desire more shine. The Klasse remains under the wax. Here is my point. Sealants bond better than waxes. If you want to layer, use a sealant then a wax. Klasse/P21s or the Blackfire/Blackfire combo. Those work well. I don`t see topping the d301 being necessary, or having a high chance of success. Meg makes some good finishing polishes. Use one of them in place of the d301 and finish with a sealant.