PDA

View Full Version : New to the site.

vettefan67
03-13-2002, 10:28 PM
Hi all-

My mother had the misfortune of not pulling her car into the garage far enough and, well, you know what happens next. I looked at the bumper and there is a very heavy scar about [EDIT] .25" wide and 1" long, 1/16- deep. It bit into the plastic enough that there is a slight depression in the area . . . There are other, smaller scratches next to it that would require sanding and touch up.

What do you guys think? Is this possible? How would I touch up a large area like that, is it acceptable to paint on extremely thin coats?

She doesn`t want to take it to a bodyshop and just wants it to look better. I would make sure that if I do it, the results are MUCH better than it currently is and as close to normal as possible but I realize this is much harder than most people think.

I`d love feedback here, what do you think? I can learn and practice on test panels but I know there are those of you out there with experience in this sort of thing.

Thanks!

Justin

Lemonxxs
03-13-2002, 10:34 PM
Big BandAid!!! LOL:D

Sorry I just watched the Tanya Harding Paula Jones Fight and well.... it got me kinda goofy....What a hack paula was.

Brad B
03-14-2002, 05:25 PM
I guess this is painted plastic? I would give it a shot. You have nothing to lose. Especially if Mom is willing to let it go. Just start laying it in. Do a coat or two a day. It could take a week. Then when you lay enough in to be higher than the surrounding surface you use a sanding block and level off and then buff. This is the Cliff Notes version. Much has been covered in the archives.

vettefan67
03-14-2002, 08:28 PM
Yes, it`s painted plastic, the rear bumper of a Super Black 2000 Maxima GLE. I wasn`t sure if touchup paint could be applied with a brush to a deeper and larger area like that since it`s a bumper and there are lots of smaller scratches in the area as well.

We shall see . . . I`ll scratch up that test panel of mine and figure it out :D

imported_dpkilty
04-14-2011, 09:53 AM
Hello everyone.

I have been creeping around here soaking in all the great information for about a month now. I am by no means even an amateur yet. Just have a love for cars. I have always enjoyed what I used to call "detailing" a car; but since I found this site I now know some of the things I was doing just wasn`t quite right. Oh well live and learn I guess. I come here knowing I will be learning from the best in the business. Eventually I would like to get into doing details and paint correction as a form of "on the side" income. If you want me to dream big, well then it would be great to do this for a living, working with great higher end cars, hot rods, classics, muscle cars etc. Anyways I just wanted to say hi to everybody who has already taught me so much and thank you all for sharing the information that you do. This is a great community of people, free from bashing or flaming and what not, and I look forward to being a part of it.

gmblack3
04-14-2011, 10:00 AM
Welcome dpkilty!

bmw5541
04-14-2011, 11:21 AM
Welcome to TID dpkilty.
I would say that a great majority of us started out just like you did. Read a lot and don`t be afraid to ask questions. That is what we are here for.
I hope to see you around.

Old Pirate
04-14-2011, 11:39 AM
Welcome to Truth In Detailing dpkilty. :wizard:

imported_dpkilty
04-14-2011, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome so far. I am on another forum for my beloved Subaru Forester, so I do try to use the search feature, but alas I may still ask a question or two that has already been asked before. Just bear with me and show me the proper thread (or at least what to search for to get to it). There is so much info on here every time I ahve a question its usually answered for me already. But I know there is much to learn.

imported_gewb
04-14-2011, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome so far. I am on another forum for my beloved Subaru Forester, so I do try to use the search feature, but alas I may still ask a question or two that has already been asked before. Just bear with me and show me the proper thread (or at least what to search for to get to it). There is so much info on here every time I ahve a question its usually answered for me already. But I know there is much to learn.

Welcome to this corner of the Web! As you have already observed, some of the BEST detailers in the world are members - and they openly share their knowledge and experience. (The search function is your friend.)

Post pics when you can!

Regards,
GEWB

imported_firebird
04-14-2011, 07:04 PM
Welcome dpkilty! What`s great about this forum is that you get almost immediate responses and then they just keep on coming!