PDA

View Full Version : How to use remove scratches

vettefan67
03-04-2002, 01:46 PM
Price:

Meguiar`s Gold Class ("MGC"): $10 / gallon at Target

Zymol Auto Wash: $6.79 / gallon at Costco

I spent about 4 hours washing a car yesterday and used both MGC and the blue Zymol stuff a bunch of times, here is a brief comparison with my impressions:

MGC alone: Nice and sudsy, doesn`t smell like much to me. Excellent initial lubricity, fades with time in bucket. Prefer this shampoo for lubricity. I felt much safer with this shampoo alone than with Z

ZAW alone: Sudsy but not as lubricative, delicious banana scent that actually did make washing more pleasing. Lubricity seemed to fade slightly faster than MGC. Suds seem to be more of the small type than the large milky suds of MGC.

50/50 Mix: Yummy smell, good lubricity, pretty good sud life . . .

70/30 mix MGC / Zymol AW: Still smells good, feels more lubricative, gets cleaning agents from both shampoos. I prefer this mixture to the above ones.

Cleaning power: Honestly I`m not sure. I don`t really know how to test this in a normal wash so I will try using each as a sap remover and see how it goes. Feel free to add your notes here!

Extra note: Wash mitts used with Zymol Auto Wash after use. It appears humans are not the only ones who find the banana smell enticing. I found some ants on the mitts this morning.

:xyxthumbs

Justin

SouthernBoy
03-04-2002, 01:59 PM
I have some of both in the garage. May try a little mixing myself this weekend.

Thanks for taking the time. :xyxthumbs

Pats300zx
03-04-2002, 03:14 PM
Great review...thanks for the info..:up

F1Crazy
03-04-2002, 04:01 PM
Well, looks like another trip to Costco...

I don`t really need Zymol wash, I`m happy with MGC but I love experimenting and trying new stuff.

How do you explain another car wash to your wife?

vettefan67
03-04-2002, 07:30 PM
Try telling her it`s better than getting another wife :D

Tucson buffer
03-09-2011, 03:35 PM
Didn`t Todd do a right up on how to correctly remove scratches from auto paint sometime back?...any idea were I can find it?...did a search and nothing came up.:confused:

Todd@RUPES
03-09-2011, 03:48 PM
Didn`t Todd do a right up on how to correctly remove scratches from auto paint sometime back?...any idea were I can find it?...did a search and nothing came up.:confused:

Are you interested in removing light defects and marks or filling in and removing deeper scratches? (Involving touch up paint?)

imported_CH.Detailing
03-09-2011, 03:50 PM
I searched for Todd`s username in The Shine Institute, quick and easy.

http://truthindetailing.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=1590

Tucson buffer
03-09-2011, 03:52 PM
Just light defects were I think you were using 2500 - 3000 grit paper.

Tucson buffer
03-09-2011, 03:58 PM
CH...Ya, I found that article, which was very informative, but I know he wrote a thread about the mechanics of using wet sandpaper method to remove light scratches. Thanks for looking that for me:-c