PDA

View Full Version : Marring under the tape?

02 t-wrex
03-03-2002, 04:19 PM
I have a SA95 Bieffe Predator helmet that I would like to protect with a couple coats of Blackfire protectant. The helmet is made of Carbon & aramidic fibers (according to the label on the helmet) and is painted white, so I am assuming it`s gelcoated or clearcoated. I remember reading in the instructions that came with the helmet not to use any harsh chemicals, only mild soap because some chemicals could ruin the helmet and make it useless. Would it be okay to slap some BF on there? Any ideas?

Thanks,

:)

02 t-wrex
03-03-2002, 09:45 PM
anybody?

z4zen
03-03-2002, 10:40 PM
your guess is as good as mine... :nixweiss

admac
03-03-2002, 10:45 PM
i don`t see why not. i just ordered that same helmet and have already klassed my shoei. unless there`s something in blackfire that breaksdown plastics, there`s no reason to avoid waxing your helmet. i do all of mine. makes em nice and smooth.

02 t-wrex
03-04-2002, 01:10 AM
Okay... I just put 2 coats of Blackfire polish and 3 coats of Blackfire protectant on the helmet. Very shiney and smooth now, and no ill effects so far!

:D

BTW, you`ll love the Predator! The outward vision is excellent and it is relatively lightweight for a roadrace helmet. Very comfortable in my opinion, and not to mention the very nice quality.

Koyaanisqatsi
03-04-2002, 01:16 AM
Ive used klasse and zaino on my helmet. Its a kevlar/fiberglass helmet too and I have only had good results.

vettefan67
03-04-2002, 08:05 AM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by 02 t-wrex [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>:) [/b]</blockquote>Welcome back:p

imported_JSFM35X
03-05-2011, 04:26 PM
This question is really for the pro`s who correct other peoples cars. When you tape off the seams (edges) to polish, what do you do about the paint under the tape? It never show up poorly in the pictures, but what about when you are on top of the car?

I have a Black DD I plan to hit as soon as the weather turns and the finish is a 6 out of 10. I am going to try to get it to a 9+.

Thanks,

Jeff

imported_JSFM35X
03-05-2011, 09:49 PM
This question is really for the pro`s who correct other peoples cars. When you tape off the seams (edges) to polish, what do you do about the paint under the tape? It never show up poorly in the pictures, but what about when you are on top of the car?

I have a Black DD I plan to hit as soon as the weather turns and the finish is a 6 out of 10. I am going to try to get it to a 9+.

Thanks,

Jeff

I guess its a good question or nobody knows the answer. Or it could be a trade secret?

imported_Chris@Optimum
03-05-2011, 10:07 PM
I go over seams with a DA after I remove the tape. Sling and dust isn`t an issue with the Optimum polishes I use so I don`t have to worry about getting dust in the seams.

Sent from my ViP4 viaTapatalk

imported_CH.Detailing
03-05-2011, 10:09 PM
I`m not sure what it is you are asking. There are a few different methods for taping, and everybody has their own personal quirks to it. I usually tape off any adjacent plastic or rubber trim, and that`s it.

If you`re talking about those who tape off panel gaps for the sake of easier clean-up, I`m interested in the answer as well.

imported_Stokdgs
03-06-2011, 01:04 AM
I never tape off seams or edges, and I use a Rotary. It is easier to just stay away from them, and when you have to get over them, then reduce the pressure and/or speed and get past them. You never really need to polish that close to the edge anyway, because it is an edge, it is really hard for bad stuff to stick to it.

I only tape plastic trim that might get damaged and rubber trim, etc.

For Clear Bra edges, If its already full of someone else`s crappy white stuff, I will clean the edge out before anything else and maybe, depending on the paint condition up to the bra edges, run a 1/8" tape, just on the edge enough to cover it and overlap into the paint as little as possible, and again, stay away from the edges as much as possible.

Dan F

imported_JSFM35X
03-06-2011, 07:01 AM
I go over seams with a DA after I remove the tape. Sling and dust isn`t an issue with the Optimum polishes I use so I don`t have to worry about getting dust in the seams.

Ok, so the DA runs to the edge. If you were using a flex DA for the entire process, would you tape seams or only plastic/rubber?

Sent from my ViP4 viaTapatalk

I`m not sure what it is you are asking. There are a few different methods for taping, and everybody has their own personal quirks to it. I usually tape off any adjacent plastic or rubber trim, and that`s it.

If you`re talking about those who tape off panel gaps for the sake of easier clean-up, I`m interested in the answer as well.

I was talking about the paint ajacent to the pannel gaps.

I never tape off seams or edges, and I use a Rotary. It is easier to just stay away from them, and when you have to get over them, then reduce the pressure and/or speed and get past them. You never really need to polish that close to the edge anyway, because it is an edge, it is really hard for bad stuff to stick to it.

I only tape plastic trim that might get damaged and rubber trim, etc.

For Clear Bra edges, If its already full of someone else`s crappy white stuff, I will clean the edge out before anything else and maybe, depending on the paint condition up to the bra edges, run a 1/8" tape, just on the edge enough to cover it and overlap into the paint as little as possible, and again, stay away from the edges as much as possible.

Dan F

Thanks, I appreaite teh detailed response. I think I know how to procede now. Thanks for the education!