PDA

View Full Version : Choosing the right inspection light for detailing: tips & advice

YoSteve
02-26-2002, 05:54 PM
Since I have no interest in buying a Neatitems towel at this time, would someone like to trade me one for a CMA Magic towel bought from CMA at full price this past Fall.

e-mail me yosteve@hotmail.com (``) (put something about Neatitems in the subject)

Thanks, Steve

muttgrunt
02-21-2011, 08:13 PM
Inspecting your work is as important as the work you perform on a vehicle. Without proper inspection, you can`t be sure what you`re attempting to accomplish is working. Using various lighting sources will help to uncover the results you`re achieving much quicker which saves time in the long run. While good ambient lighting is helpful, hand-held lighting sources can better target specific areas you wish to inspect. In this article, I will discuss a few different options for easily portable inspection lights.

http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr202/barrytheal/DSC_1049-1.jpg
Above photo courtesy of Barry Theal and Presidential Details.

My own search for the best inpection light began two years ago when Jacob and I felt that we needed another source for inspecting paintwork. We already had two Brinkmann Dual Xenon lights, but they didn`t have the light output (typically measured in lumens) we were looking for, nor were they the best for highlighting all types of defects, despite how easily they showed swirls. I began researching other options...

One popular option is ultra-bright tiny flashlights. These are most often along the lines of "Tac Lights" AKA Tactical flashlights that are used for law enforcement and military use. As a guy that served as an infantry paratrooper in the US Army in both Iraq and Afghanistan in the 82nd Airborne Division, I already had A LOT of experience with these: we used Surefire Tac Lights which were small, lightweight, durable, and EXTREMELY bright. They even had Infrared (IR) adapters to cover them for use with nightvision devices like the PVS-14 monocular in which the emitted light can only be seen with nightvision goggles. Having such experience with these, I already knew that while they were extremely well made, they were also crazy expensive ($300-500+), and even worse, they ate up expensive batteries which aren`t easy to locate. Here is the exact type of Tac Light we often had mounted to our weapons: http://www.surefire.com/MillenniumUniversalWeaponlights
Those Lithium batteries have a limited life and cost $2-4 each, which means the entry cost and operating cost can be high. The good news is that lately, there are more and more Tac Lights with LED lamps that are as bright (or even brighter), but use less energy leading to longer battery life. The small size means the beam angle is rather limited, but operaters use this to their advantage: the tight beam angle means the high light output is focused directly to the target area rather than washing out the entire panel. Additionally, because detailers have to be self relient, they often will take very good care of their equipment and do not need military-spec durability. We won`t be submerging our lights underwater, dropping them, stepping on them, or running them over. Using this to your advantage, less expensive yet equally bright tac lights can be used with outstanding results.
In this shot, Bob Willis of Auto Concierge performs final inspection on a stunning Ferrari 458 Italia using his go-to flash light; a high lumen output, narrow beamed light source:
http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/pp172/autoconcierge/H%20C%20CGT/Heller%20458%201-14-2011/38.jpg

While Tac Lights are favored by some, others refuse to live with their down sides. Enter the 3M Sun Gun. This light started to gain major popularity 4 or 5 years ago in detailing from what I`ve witnessed. Originally designed for use in matching paint, detailers liked the ability to use a bright rechargeable light to expose defects. Of course the expensive price tag of $300-400+ means that not everyone has invested in this tool.
The follow photo shows Barry Theal of Presidential Details carefully polishing a beautiful classic car with the 3M Sun Gun resting gently on the windshield. Keeping an inspection tool close by is something all professional detailers make sure to do.
http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr202/barrytheal/DSC_1060-1.jpg

The truth of the 3M Sun Gun is that what it excels at is a very high CRI AKA Color Rendering Index.
All lamps (aka bulbs - "lamp" the the true technical name of the part of the light fixture that gives off actual light) have a CRI rating regardless if they`re halogen, xenon, high intensity discharge, fluorescent, etc. Color Rendering Index is a measurement of how well the light that is given off from a lamp matches the sun`s color temperature. If a lamp had a CRI of 100, it would mean that the light given off reproduces the EXACT color the subject would look like under the sun.
One key in having a high CRI is color temperature; that is the color of the light the lamp gives off. Color alone doesn`t qualify a lamp of a high CRI, so this can be confusing. Color temperature can directly influence how subjects appear under certain lamps. Our eyes naturally like certain colors, but if the wrong light temperature is falling onto those colors they can be much less attractive. You`ll notice that skin color is often much more grey and dull under most fluorescent lights (which usually have too much of a cool blue hue) than under incandescent lighting which more often times has a warmer yellow glow. You can imagine that over time we`ve grown to judge skin color in the brightness of our sun, so a grey or bluish hue isn`t as appealing as it may be an indicator of poor health or sickness.
While color temperature can affect a lamps CRI, they`re not the same thing. The easiest way to explain that is that our sun gives off many different colors depending on time of day due to light waves being bent by our atmospher at different angles. The color temperature given off by the sun when it is rising is different than the sun`s light mid-day which is much different than the sun-set, yet at all times the sun`s CRI does not change.

The 3M Sun Gun has an outstanding CRI of 99.35% and color temperature of 4700 Kelvin as reported by 3M. http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?66666UuZjcFSLXTtNxftlxT2EVuQEcuZgVs 6EVs6E666666--
The main issue other than price is the light output is only around 200 lumens. This tool is designed to help painters get a closer match when trying to match existing paint. It has been specifically designed to show COLOR correctly. The adaption to detailers is a fluke. This doesn`t mean you can`t use it to inspect paint, but rather it might not be the most cost effective way to inspect paint. If it works for you and you don`t mind the price: outstanding and happy detailing. AutoLavish wasn`t going to drop that much money on something we didn`t feel was worth it for our uses then, and we won`t now. Individual opinions will vary, but we felt there had to be a better way...

Understanding what I was looking for: a rechargeable, handheld, bright light source, I started looking for other options, and began typing away in google looking for a rechargeable bright flashlight.
I stumbled upon the Brinkmann Dual LED which seems to be made for Marine use (blue and white color scheme). I began comparing it to the Dual Xenon we were already using: I didn`t want two of the same thing. Main differences were is was twice as powerful (250 lumens versus 120), and the color temperature was completely different (I`d say the Dual Xenon seems to be more around 2700K while the Dual LED is around 5200K). We ordered one and never have looked back. From there, we talked to a few detailer`s we knew across the country when they brought up the Sun Gun or lighting during discussion. The Dual LED started catching on. Last year, several major online detailing retailers began carrying a version slightly more powerful than that which we use, so it seems the Dual LED Brinkmann is here to stay. While durability leaves a lot to be desired, the low entry price means having an extra stashed away "just in case" won`t break the bank.
Jacob Bunyan of AutoLavish took this picture of me inspecting polishing work using a Brinkmann Dual LED flashlight while a full wet-sanding project on an E92 M3 took place:
http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr220/jacobbunyan/2008%20BMW%20M3%20Coupe%20Detail/DSC05376.jpg

One of the important things to keep in mind with handheld lighting and lighting in general in car detailing is that multiple light types will be a big advantage in trying to correct paint. We never use the Dual LED by itself, the Dual Xenon by itself, or Halogen work lights by themselves. It seems relying on one light type (that`s not the sun of course) leads to dissapointment when a car is inspected in the sun prior to final washing and sealing. Use multiple lamps that give off different light as some are better at seeing swirls, halograms, or sanding marks than others.
Light sources I don`t currently use, such as Tac Lights or the Sun Gun can work great. I`ve seen some top notch guys that do some work I love use these. While the costs aren`t low, what price can you put on proper inspection? Also keep in mind that unlike halogen work lights, you won`t keep a flashlight on continously for long periods of time which will perserve battery. If you`re looking for the smallest package possible, you may want to consider a Tac Light style light source. To preserve batteries even better, stick with an LED based one.

The answer to "What is the best hand held light for inspecting paint?" is the same answer to the age old "What is the best wax?" question: the one you understand, use, and works best for you.

imported_Auto Concierge
02-21-2011, 08:48 PM
I just sent you the pic Marc....that was quick. Where are the pics of the M3 hmmmmm.<:-P

muttgrunt
02-21-2011, 09:50 PM
I just sent you the pic Marc....that was quick. Where are the pics of the M3 hmmmmm.<:-P

everything was ready ;)

ha ha... remember Bob - we`re not Auto Concierge, so when we do get cool cars / cool projects: we have to strategically release them. You won`t see anything cool from us until mid-March / early April :)

Thanks again Bob for allowing us to use the pic!

gmblack3
02-21-2011, 10:59 PM
Excellent writeup Marc!

Thanks for sharing.

Junebug
02-22-2011, 08:06 AM
I agree, excellant article! I have the same issues with lighting as everybody else even with a pretty well lit garage. I saw a portable LED light from Lowes or Northern Tool that looked promising, my halogens work when they feel like it, get way too hot and I wish someone would build a gooseneck version.

imported_doctordon
02-22-2011, 04:47 PM
Very helpful write up. Thank you - great job! By the way, what light (other than the sun) have you found best shows swirls on white, silver, or gold colored vehicles? Thanks in advance.

muttgrunt
02-28-2011, 12:48 AM
I agree, excellant article! I have the same issues with lighting as everybody else even with a pretty well lit garage. I saw a portable LED light from Lowes or Northern Tool that looked promising, my halogens work when they feel like it, get way too hot and I wish someone would build a gooseneck version.

A variety of lights goes a long way to making sure your results match your goals. Thanks for taking a look JuneBug!

Excellent writeup Marc!
Thanks for sharing.

Thanks a lot Bryan and I hope all is well down your way.

Very helpful write up. Thank you - great job! By the way, what light (other than the sun) have you found best shows swirls on white, silver, or gold colored vehicles? Thanks in advance.

Whatever lights you have handy that usually do well on other colors should work ok on metallics and pearls as well. No matter what light source is used, metallic and pearl paint will ALWAYS hide defects more than standard colors will. My advice is to try different lights, different distances, and different angles: all those things play a big role in how defects pop out.

bmw5541
02-28-2011, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the great write up Marc. As you know, I have done quite a few jobs towards the end of 2010 in a garage, where lighting was an issue. I used my halogens, and still had trouble at times finding the defects. I also use the Brinkmann Maxfire Dual Xenon. I almost never use this anymore, as I don`t really get any advantage from using this. It just doesn`t seem to output enough light, to offer any help.
I might have to look into some of the other alternatives that you suggested.:thumbup:

Thanks again.

Tru_Shine
02-28-2011, 09:37 AM
expected nothing less then greatness. nice write up!

dave6
02-28-2011, 10:00 AM
Great writeup!

On the topic of LED flashlights, the current hot setup is the Stinger LED from Streamlight. It`s rechargable and available in both aluminum and polymer body form. The cop shop I used to manage sold tons of these, even switching two very large PDs from halogen or Xenon to these.

They have a new one that has an oversize lens/reflector that I haven`t played with, but the originals are very good and very bright. And, being LED, you can drop them while on and the bulb won`t pop.... Don`t ask how I know about regular flashlights doing this....

Internet pricing is in the $120 range depending on which charger you get.