PDA

View Full Version : Meguiar`s DA Microfiber System Giveaway! One in Six gets theirs FREE!

Pages : [1] 2 3

imported_Intermezzo
02-26-2002, 04:44 PM
How long do you guys normally take when QDing your car? It`s touted as something that can be done in 5-10 minutes but I highly doubt anyone can safely QD a slightly dusty car in that amount of time.

I usually QD my cars using the following procedures:

1. Use California Car Duster to quickly remove any extra dust on the car.

2. Spray 1-2 shots of QD on a panel.

3. Wipe the dust off using an MF folded into quarters (if the car is a little dustier than normal, I spray the QD unto a damp MF to remove the dust).

4. Turn the towel over and buff to a shine.

5. Wipe the windows down with a damp MF and clean with a dry MF.

6. Clean the rims with a damp MF and when necessary, dust the interior.

I`ve been doing this for some time and I go as fast as I carefully can, but it still usually takes me at least 20-25 minutes. Am I just slow?

Lemonxxs
02-26-2002, 04:45 PM
Thats about right. Well for me and my truck. It really depends on how dusty I guess.

But the cladding goes by real quick as all I use is a wet MF.

JasonC8301
02-26-2002, 04:58 PM
1999 slightly dusty ML320 ruby red. QD: One Grand Show Off.

I dusted the car with CA duster, then QD`d the entire car and windows, the wheels, and applied a refresher coat of Vinylex onto the tires in 30-32 minutes.

I could of done it quicker with the sam results. But I was stopping every now and then to see the surface and check progress. I was also using a lot of care and love toward the SUV.

On a washed car, just to QD the paint, sure I think I can do it in 10 minutes, but I love to take some extra time and do the wheels, tires, and glass.

Nothing wrong with loving the cars you detail and taking your time even if they are not your cars right? ;) :D

Jason

pingiii
02-26-2002, 05:07 PM
I takes me about 7 to 8 minutes to dust the horizontal surfaces of my mid-size truck, and then QD from the top down.

Then another 2 to 3 minutes to go around and do the windows.

I feel if I keep up the surface, for 10 or 15 minutes a day, it saves me from washing more often, which takes about and hour and 1/2 to do it right.

In the summer I can go 2 weeks without a wash if Mother Nature co-operates. Enjoy!

imported_Intermezzo
02-26-2002, 06:57 PM
Bill Lessard,

I agree. Living in Los Angeles, I can go 3 weeks without washing my car as long as I QD every couple of days. Plus, the car stays much cleaner and there`s very little dirt to clean when I finally do wash the car. If I could just get my QD sessions down to 15 minutes, I`d probably do it daily.

pingiii
02-26-2002, 07:07 PM
In the summer, I dust daily and only QD every 2 to 4 days. My truck stays in the garage at home, and is only subjected to the dust and dirt while I`m at work. Of course it all depends on Mother Nature, again.

I truly enjoy Qd`ing my truck, except for the roof and the cap. Then I have to drag out the little step ladder. And I just hate working off that darn ladder! Maybe that`s why I don`t QD every day! Enjoy!

MikeLS
02-26-2002, 07:09 PM
Takes me about 10mins for the whole car, but I like to take my time and stand back to admire my handy work often. :D

:xyxthumbs

William420
02-26-2002, 08:38 PM
I take 20-25 Minutes. IMO, 5 is unlikely but 10 Minutes might be possible if you are driving a small 2 door and just sort of quickly spray-wipe & go in a careless style.

db2
02-26-2002, 09:17 PM
I have got it down to about15 to 20 minutes.

99scs2cool
02-26-2002, 09:24 PM
Usually takes 20-25.

Cal duster to remove surface dust. EFQD doghouse spread lightly w/mf turn over for 1st buff. Use fresh mf for final light buff. Driver sid, trunk, spoiler, rear panel, pass side, top all same procedure.

Then EFQD alloys with damp mf, bfw/same. Lastcomes the glass w/EFQD. This baby glstens. I EFQD every night in the garage. Always takes 20-25 min. It seems the carnuba in the EF is building layers. I`ve noticed the shine deepenng.:cool: :cool:

rstype
02-26-2002, 10:39 PM
It takes me about 20 minutes every morning. I dust with a California Car Duster to get the dust off, QD the lower panels with FI, and afterwards QD the whole car with OGSO or Z6. I prefer using MF towels; one (for each panel) to spread the QD around and the other do buff it to a shine.

The daily 20-minute routine seems to really help reduce the amount of contamination. I used to get a lot of tiny "dots" when I only washed weekly... and they were a pain to remove.

The dots were nothing noticeable (you have to have your eyes a few inches away from the paint to see it) but it sure feels safer to have a contamination free surface while applying new layers of wax or sealant.

Happy detailing...

~bw

DaGonz
02-27-2002, 04:00 PM
It takes me an average of 25 to QD the Jeep and 35 minutes for the F-150. I use the same method as the others here...the cali car duster for light dust and pollen, followed by the QD spray of my choice ( I have been using Meguiar`s professional line`s Final Inspection) and touching up the tires and wheels.

The question is...why rush the QD experience and try to get it done in 5 minutes? We all love cars, that`s why we`re here!

Qd`ing a vehicle in 5 minutes is like<strong class=`bbc`><span style=`color: blue`> Wham Bam thank you M`aam![/b] :D

imported_Intermezzo
02-27-2002, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the responses. Although I enjoy doing a QD and love the way my cars look after doing it, I really do not have that much time. With two cars, I`ll be spending over an hour QDing them....that`s when the wife starts crossing her arms and tapping her feet! :(

Scottwax
02-27-2002, 04:25 PM
I can do mine in about 10-15, but I detail cars for a living, so I have lots of practice. It takes a minute or two to dust it, about 5 to QD, another 3-4 to do the windows (outside only), and 2-3 to dress the tires.

My car is an Accord, so it isn`t very big and it is waxed monthly, so the paint is always real slick, so that makes QDing easier and quicker.

jkochis
02-27-2002, 05:07 PM
10 minutes, but I now only QD after a wash, and never after driven. Every wipe is a chance at scratching/micro-marring otherwise. If there`s dirt (and there will be if you drive it), washing`s the proper solution - everything else is a gamble in my book.