PDA

View Full Version : FT: Lake Country 1-Pad System Promo

Pages : [1] 2

Chuckmotor
02-19-2002, 06:46 PM
I was taking one of my very frequent trips to Wal-Mart today, and as I was studying the shelves, looking at the same products I saw the day before :) , I noticed a lone Eagle One bottle in the very back of the shelves. It was hidden in the back and I couldn`t see what it was, I just saw the Eagle One logo and a noticable yellow attachment saying, "Improved! Outperforms Armor All Wheel Cleaner!- See Back For Details." Well that`s comforting ;) . So I grabbed the bottle, and as it came closer and closer to the light, I noticed it was A2Z, except it was in a see through orange container! I read the label carefully and didn`t notice anything about any kind of acid!!! It did say, "Contains: Sodium Metasilicate Pentahydrate," whatever that is. It sounds much better than acid, which will usually be accompanied by `Danger! Contains Acid!` I was so excited that I wanted to talk to all the people on that aisle and show them my find! I couldn`t find another bottle other than that one, but I`m sure if you dig around you will be able to find it at your Wal-Mart.

I haven`t tried it yet, but I am anxious to test it out this weekend. I will be sure to report everything and compare it to the old A2Z formula, which cleaned VERY well, but probably because it dissolved half the paint on the wheel!!!

The bottle was the same size as the old one-- 26 oz. And it was priced at around $4.50-- same as the old one.

vettefan67
02-19-2002, 07:07 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

INHALATION: Irritates, may burn, causes violent sneezing or coughing. Will produce irritation to the gastro-intestinal or respiratory tract. Severe over-exposure can produce lung damage, choking, unconsciousness or death. Remove patient to fresh air. Seek medical attention if symptoms persist.

INGESTION: Burns, toxic. Give patient plenty of water or milk. Do not induce vomiting. Seek medical attention immediately.

EYE CONTACT: Burns. Immediately remove contact lenses. Can result in corneal damage or blindness. Rinse eyes immediately for at least 15 minutes with cold water. Seek medical attention.

SKIN CONTACT: Irritates, burns. Wash thoroughly with soap and water. The amount of tissue damage depends uponm length of contact. Seek medical attention if irritation persists or if burn results.

EFECTS OF EXPOSURE: Extremely dngerous in case of skin contact. Corrosive to eyes and skin. The amount of damage depends upon length of contact. Chronic exposure can produce eye irritation, local skin destruction or dermatitis. Repeated inhalation of dust can producevarying degrees of respiratory irritation or lung damage.
</blockquote>:nixweiss

It is not an acid. It is basic.

laynlow
02-19-2002, 07:11 PM
Correction, it does appear to be an acid...

Quote taken from AI`s Chemical Identification Page.

"Chemical Name:

Sodium Metasilicate, Anhydrous

Synonyms:

Silicic acid, sodium salt

Effects on Vehicle:

Damages aluminum, causes chalking, streaks paint.

Health Effects:

Corrosive to eyes, skin and respiratory tract

Found In:

Cleaners, de-greasers"

vettefan67
02-19-2002, 07:16 PM
Just checked another reference and saw the pH is 12-13!! :eek:

That`s not acidic, it`s basic.

laynlow
02-19-2002, 07:25 PM
Check Silicic acid and see what it says...

Hold the phones: I found this:

"The substance is a strong base, it reacts violently with acid and is corrosive in moist air to metals like zinc, aluminum, tin and lead forming a flammable/explosive gas (H2)."

the synonym is misleading after all. Good work puter!

:bounce

VettePilot
02-19-2002, 07:26 PM
Yep, that would be our new formula. It`s an Alkaline base. It actually works better than the old formula and is safer for wheel finishes. I have personally taken part of the testing with this product. Also, when reading what a product contains, keep in mind that most don`t list full ingredients and they don`t say how much of a product they contain. No matter how small the amount is, it must be printed though.

ummm, question, was that the only new EO product you saw at WalMart???

:nixweiss

Chuckmotor
02-19-2002, 08:25 PM
12-13 on the pH scale?! Wow, if that`s true, that`s great, isn`t it? Isn`t that comparable to, say, soapy water or some other type of cleaner? Does anybody know what something like EF Hi-Intensity would be on the pH scale, just for comparison?

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by E36 M Sedan [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>
ummm, question, was that the only new EO product you saw at WalMart???

:nixweiss [/b]</blockquote>
That was the only bottle of the new A2Z Wheel Cleaner I saw. I usually look at just about every product on the shelves, and I don`t believe I saw any other new EO products. Wal-Mart needs to stock the Wipe `n Shine. I was a die hard Meguiar`s FI lover, and though I still love it, I found that the Wipe `n Shine works a little better! And it`s a tad cheaper.

Anyway, back to the new EO products, there may have been some more new products hidden in the back of the shelves because I just happen to come across the new A2Z. Can we expect to find more great EO products arriving at Wal-Mart :D . I would like that very much! What new or improved products has EO distributed lately?

F1Crazy
02-19-2002, 10:37 PM
E36 M Sedan,

I`ve seen another new EO product at Wal-Mart, it`s called Wax-as-U-Dry or something. What is that? Does it contain wax of some kind? How do you use it?

It`s good news that there is another non acidic wheel cleaner that we can buy locally. I hope it works as well as A2Z.

Oh, I almost forgot... I bought EO Clean Car vent clips at K-Mart. Smells nice, I don`t know how long it`s going to last since I just put it in.

Chuckmotor
02-20-2002, 08:40 AM

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by F1Crazy [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>
Oh, I almost forgot... I bought EO Clean Car vent clips at K-Mart. Smells nice, I don`t know how long it`s going to last since I just put it in. [/b]</blockquote>
What do these smell like? Anything like that New Car Smell stuff, which smells nothing like a new car but still ok??

idamanjax75
02-20-2002, 09:49 AM

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Chuckmotor [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>12-13 on the pH scale?! Wow, if that`s true, that`s great, isn`t it? [/b]</blockquote>
Just don`t leave it on too long.

E

Lemonxxs
02-20-2002, 09:53 AM
FWIW

Water has a Ph of 7.0......Well most city water.:D

DETAILKING
02-20-2002, 09:57 AM
It is a strong base in the chemical industry. pH is around 12.6 or so. For a comparison, the CLASSIC base is caustic soda, aka DRAINO....which is sodium hydroxide (NaOH). That has an average pH of 13+ on the high end of the scale.

E36 is right though, just because a product contains that means nothing. We have no idea of the concentrations or amounts involved.

I know we expect miracles but for a wheel cleaner that works effectively for removing brake dust, it`s gonna be harsh. There is no other way to do it. Some forumlas are safer than other in that the chemicals used are safer to use on painted wheels, aluminum wheels,etc,etc. I myself would rather use something mild and a little bit of elbow grease! But that is me. Once they are clean and waxed (sealant), I find only car wash and a sponge is required for maintainance, and for stubbon spots some mild MOTHERS wheel polish...........

DK

DETAILKING
02-20-2002, 10:01 AM
neat product...but unfortunately, the rep didn`t know anything about it except what he could read to me on the bottle.

Basically you spray the car down after wash while it is wet, dry it, and it is waxed. The rep did say it is not as durable as carnuba wax, but more so than a quick detailer, and that maybe it will last till the next wash. Sounds similar to the HOT WAX applied to a wet car at car washes. I know EO supplies car washes with drums of the stuff.....he told me that.

F1Crazy
02-20-2002, 10:49 AM

What do these smell like? Anything like that New Car Smell stuff, which smells nothing like a new car but still ok??</blockquote>

It`s not a "new car" smell but "clean car" smell and it smells soap or laundry fresh, nothing like Ozium New Car Smell.
I think EO has many different fragrances to choose from, but this was the only one in the store.

VettePilot
02-20-2002, 11:39 AM
I sw lots of good points in this discussion. Cleaning wheels is a tough job as mentioned and finding something to remove brake dust and road grime, yet be safe is challenging. The new formula DOES work better than our old formula, yet it is safer on wheels. If you look at the directions, the old A2Z had a time wait of 10 seconds, while the new one has a wait time of 30 seconds. If anyone does try this, be sure to let me know what you think, i like hearing opinions on our products. You guys know your stuff, so the feedback I get means more as you guys are more descriptive.

As for Wax As-U-Dry, that`s the other one I was wondering about being in WalMart. A couple of our guys here had been using another product from our professional line to help wax the car while drying. It finally caught on around here and we worked to develop a product that would allow wax to be put on the car after washing with minimal effort. Now, for those that seriously love detailing our cars, this is just a convenience item. It was designed to replace waxing your car. However, we all know how many people own cars and wash them without ever throwing on some wax. This gives them some protection while only taking a fraction of the time to apply. I use it everytime I wash. just to keep it looking like I spent a couple hours on it. The time length we have seen on lasting goes from a week to three weeks depending on the condition of the paint, the elements, etc. It should definitely last you through a couple of washings.

Sorry, got a bit off topic on this thread. I definitely am glad that Brad B. told me about this board. I do read almost every thread and have even learned wuite a bit from you guys, as well as goten some important feedback on what you guys really look for in a product. Not to mention I get to hear all the cleaning stories, get ideas, etc. Thanks for putting up with me on here.