PDA

View Full Version : Tough trim to restore shine to

Pages : [1] 2

ssabin
02-15-2002, 12:20 PM
Can anyone recommend a best practice for removing those park stickers from the inside of the windshield?

Thanks.

JimO
02-15-2002, 12:40 PM
I`ve been through this many times with various cars. First, try to peel the sticker as much as you can. Then get rubbing alcohol and a piece of cloth and start rubbing off the excess sticker. At last resort, get a heat gun and heat up the sticker, then take your cloth with rubbing alcohol and start scrubbing away. It will take some time, but the heat gun is the best solution. I don`t own a heat gun, I just borrow my coworker` heat gun.

One more thing, a few times, rubbing alcohol didn`t work for me because the sticker was really caked on the window, I use this product called "Wax and Grease Remover". It`s a body shop product and it works great! I believe it`s made by "5 Star Products".

Lemonxxs
02-15-2002, 01:21 PM
I remember a thread here about this subject.

But I remember some using bug and tar remover, WD40, and other products.

Do a quick search and see what comes up.

Be careful if you use a razor blade as it can scratch glass.

Steve @ Guru
02-15-2002, 01:40 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Guess My Name [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>Be careful if you use a razor blade as it can scratch glass. [/b]</blockquote>

<em class=`bbc`>This one time, at detailing camp, I used a razor blade on my windshield, but I had applied Prolong to the rest of the window, and when the razor didn`t take off the residue, I used a sandblaster, and it was cool.[/i]

Sorry...couldn`t resist! I promise, no more. :)

Ken B
02-15-2002, 02:02 PM
:D :D :D :D

Geekysteve: You made me laugh out loud!

imported_Intel486
02-15-2002, 02:06 PM
geekysteve!!!

:bow LOL!!!:bow

I can`t stop laughing at that!

rstype
02-15-2002, 02:12 PM
Steve, I`m ROFLMAO! I really am!

Lowejackson
02-15-2002, 02:38 PM
Autoglym recommend using a hairdryer following up with a glass cleaner.

Steven

ssabin
02-15-2002, 03:05 PM
Thanks, all. I`ll try the hairdryer method first, as it`s the cleanest approach. Sandblaster is Plan B! ;)

vettefan67
02-15-2002, 04:10 PM
geeky, LOL! ROFL! http://www.freakygamers.com/smilies/s2/contrib/blackeye/lol.gif

Alphamale
01-10-2011, 05:55 PM
How do you restore color to hard to buff trim like roof racks and wiper stems short of repainting them? The racks really get exposed to the sun and rain and are usually the first trim to fade and oxidize. What do you use to restore the luster and shine to these without having to re-paint them?

TIA,
AM

imported_Luster
01-10-2011, 08:05 PM
Are they black? Usually what happens is that they oxidize and get dull. Start to look gray and ugly.

You can try a paint polish like M105 by hand. It may work.

If those finishes are intended to be flat, you may have to sand them down and repaint.

imported_detailchick
01-10-2011, 08:10 PM
I use a cleaner wax or klasse AIO on wiper arms. Older roof racks that are painted black dont usually have that much paint to work with so go easy if your using compound.

Legacy99
01-10-2011, 08:16 PM
GTechniq C4 is a permanent trim restorer and will get your trim black again. Said to last 30k miles.

imported_Luster
01-10-2011, 08:28 PM
GTechniq C4 is a permanent trim restorer and will get your trim black again. Said to last 30k miles.

I haven`t heard of that one. Might be worth a look.