PDA

View Full Version : Here we go agian...

Pages : [1] 2

Clean Dean
02-11-2002, 10:42 PM
A black car completely free of swirls marks, marring, etc., I haven`t.

I was in a Mercedes showroom this week and I was looking at a brand new E-Class just out of the wrapper, and I saw some very minor marring at different angles in different lighting. Granted they were very minor, but I could still see them. The salesman told me that the car was delivered just (2) days before I looked at it. Why are todays clearcoats still so susceptible to marring! I love my black car but in direct sunlight it seems to be developing more swirl marks/marring no matter how careful I am when washing. I can`t wait for the spring when I intend on taking a day to pc the vehicle with 3M SMR.

:sosad

Don2000g
02-11-2002, 11:26 PM
I have never seen a swirl-free black car either. Some halogen or fluorescent lights will certainly highlight very light swirl marks.

kiltman
02-11-2002, 11:44 PM
Me to, never seen one and I think never will.

imported_Intermezzo
02-12-2002, 03:06 PM
I once saw a black Ferrari at an expensive restaurant that came pretty close. Only on very close inspection did I notice some swirls. This was at night under pretty strong parking lights. I tried to be as discrete as possible because I was getting some strange looks.

02-12-2002, 05:00 PM
I do every day. At work when I see the detailing crew pulling off the plastic protecting cover on the hood. Pure black car, not a single swirl on the car. I`ve tried to find them, nope. No excuse me, there are no swirls just where the protective covers were, everywhere else there is just a little minor swirls.

Bobby G
02-12-2002, 05:51 PM
All paint surfaces have micromarring... you just don`t see it. Because black contains the full spectrum of color... BAM... they stand out in almost all light conditions. The secret to a black car is to get all micro-marring to go in the same direction. I`m darn close!

02-12-2002, 06:11 PM
i have never seen a swirl free black car - i have only last year purchased a black Bentley Arnage - when standing approx 6inchs off the car it looks good - when u get really close - and i mean face close - u can see swirls - even though i have used swirl free polishes - high speed polishers - with leveling pads - and it still looks the same - with very few improvements - i also have this problem on the midnight blue Brooklands. I guess there is only so much you can do, or is there?

J.R

02-12-2002, 06:14 PM
What have you used to achieve a nearly swirl free vechile?

John Ross:nixweiss

imported_BretFraz
02-12-2002, 07:53 PM
Best paint job I ever saw was on a Testarossa fresh from the shop. It had been painted by Junior Conway of Junior`s House of Color in So Cal. He advertises in Cavallino magazine.

I forgot how many coats but the paint was <em class=`bbc`>other-worldly[/i]. It`s the only adjective I know to describe it. It looked like it was alive. I imagine it would be the opposite of a Zaino gloss. A paint job like that doesn`t reflect so much as it absorbs and shows you every little detail including swirls. It`s like looking into deep space and seeing every little star possible yet seeing nothing but the deepest black at the same time.

I do remember the price tag - $15,000.

I don`t know what Junior uses for wax now but back then he used One Grand Blitz as a final coat. That`s what convinced me to use it.

buldog
02-12-2002, 08:02 PM
DavidB

<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

The secret to a black car is to get all micro-marring to go in the same direction. I`m darn close!</blockquote>

Are you saying that by paying close attention to the direction of light on these surfaces that you would polish in a certain direction to make these not so noticable? Could you please go into more detail as to which direction, (anology with the grain, against the grain)
Thanks
Brian
aka buldog

sheveal
02-12-2002, 08:03 PM

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by bretfraz [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>It`s like looking into deep space and seeing every little star possible yet seeing nothing but the deepest black at the same time. [/b]</blockquote>That`s almost poetic. ;)

vettefan67
02-12-2002, 08:12 PM
Hey Buldog,

I`d love to hear a response from other users about which directions they go in as well, but here`s what I do:

Study a swirled car the next time you`re in a parking lot (I do it at traffic lights but I get weird looks) and notice where swirls are most noticeable and which direction they are in. Remember that they are most likely on every inch of the paint so the ones you can see are the obvious ones.

Short answer:

Back to front on horizontal panels, up and down on vertical ones. Still figuring out which direction to go on the diagonally sloping ones, probably with the direction of the slope.

bmerjorge21
02-12-2002, 10:29 PM

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by bretfraz [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>I don`t know what Junior uses for wax now but back then he used One Grand Blitz as a final coat. That`s what convinced me to use it. [/b]</blockquote>Funny story. I started using Blitz b/c I read an article in Motor Trand that said the guy who details Jerry Seinfeld`s cars uses Blitz/ One Grand products exclusively.

db2
02-12-2002, 10:32 PM
Is possible to have a black car swirl free?

DETAILKING
02-12-2002, 11:32 PM
Black is not special....you can just see them easier! They are there in our cars, just as bad if not worse than black.....you just don`t see them as easily! How do u like that!