PDA

View Full Version : Men, gifts, & the doghouse

wizardofahs
02-07-2002, 01:12 AM
Hi, I am still preparing for the big day(s) when i go all out on my black civic... so for now im trying to learn everything so that goes smoothly. Today we washed and waxed my roomates civic (blue) using dawn and meguires cleaner wax. I applied the wax in what i think was a somewhat thin layer (as thin as i could to get full coverage.. anyone have pix of how thin layers of wax and klasse should be?) in the shade... we only let it haze for about 5 minutes maybe (about as long as it took to apply wax to the next part of the car) when we buffed all the wax off... i was able to see 3d `swirl` marks that were always in the direction we were waxing and removing with... i used a cheapo polishing cloth (didn`t want to use my MF yet) so that might be it.. but it seems like there is scractched wax or something... i`ll try and get pix... it`s like you can really see the wax. I was thinking it might be because i put on too much... or didn`t let it sit long enough.. or maybe it`s just the meguires cleaner wax... Thanks

Dr. Jones

Andre'
02-07-2002, 02:04 AM
It`s probably the towel and the wax. If you didn`t clay the paint you may have sanded the contaminants in to the paint as you waxed.

ultrajim49
02-07-2002, 02:36 AM
In my humble opinion you skipped a step:

the preparation of the paint :claying or polishing ,because washing gets most of the dirt off,but not all.

Those tiny particles may be the cause of the swirl marks.

Hopefully this was a bit helpfull:)

wizardofahs
02-07-2002, 02:46 AM
yea.. i`ll definatly do a multi step cleaning process when i do my car... clay swirl remover stuff pinacle paint cleanser stuff and AIO... but in person it looks like it`s the wax that`s doing it.... i think i really just need to see how much or little to apply... is 5 minutes enough to wait? when i get my souveren i definatly don`t want to waste it... is more time better? or less? or is there like a 10 min window you must do it in... also what exactly is a `thin` coat. Like one dip of the aplicator in the wax container should cover what kind of an area? 1/2 a door... a full door... 2 body panels. I think i have the overall process down... now i just am trying to work out the details.... my school is having a car show (small town) after spring break.. i was going to enter my car in the show... it would be awesome to have it place in something after my first real attempt at detailing.

Andre'
02-07-2002, 03:34 AM
I have used that wax, using less or more of that product or waiting longer is not the problem, it`s the product and the prep work.

One can buy all the swirl remover stuff their is, but if you don`t learn how to use them and what they do and what they are, they will do you no good, take your time read and leran. Your techniques will make you a good detailer not just the products you use. Read this fourm!!!

Jeff U
12-10-2010, 06:22 AM
Apparently this went around last year, but it is fairly timeless and quite funny.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1543292789?bctid=3130509001

enjoy!

Show it to the women in your lives, they will forward it to ALL their friends.

Old Pirate
12-10-2010, 08:25 AM
I was rowing on this one!:rofl::rofl: A must for everyone to see! Thanks Jeff:rofl::rofl::rofl:

bmw5541
12-10-2010, 08:51 AM
How funny was that?:biggrin:

Nutbread
12-10-2010, 01:02 PM
Why would a vacuum cleaner make her mad? I wouldn`t get mad if my wife bought me a new lawn tractor. And if it had a double bag grass catcher.....:thumbup:

imported_detailchick
12-10-2010, 05:28 PM
That was funny !

I actually had a BF buy me a vacume cleaner, I loved it! Honestly!

I love gifts like that that are practical and useful like tools and machines. One Christmas my friends Bf wanted to pick out my gift and got me a cordless drill. My friend kept apologizing for it :biggrin:but I thought it was a great gift Candy Cane

Not all women fit this stereotype but probably most LOL .KNOW your woman is key

A gym membership would be an awsome gift too IMO , sessions with a personal trianer even better:thumbup:

imported_firebird
12-10-2010, 06:33 PM
I guess I am abnormal as I got a baseball mit once, two new Harley tires, a gym membership and a 10" gas chain saw and I was THRILLED for the whole year!!!

imported_glfahlc
12-10-2010, 08:59 PM
That was funny !

I actually had a BF buy me a vacume cleaner, I loved it! Honestly!

I love gifts like that that are practical and useful like tools and machines. One Christmas my friends Bf wanted to pick out my gift and got me a cordless drill. My friend kept apologizing for it :biggrin:but I thought it was a great gift Candy Cane

Not all women fit this stereotype but probably most LOL .KNOW your woman is key

A gym membership would be an awsome gift too IMO , sessions with a personal trianer even better:thumbup:

you`re a different kinda woman. seems you could easily be a mans best friend hell if i bought my wife any of those gifts i`d be like those guys. i made the mistake of getting her a microwave for mother`s day one year. lemme tell you it didn`t go over real well to say the least....

imported_detailchick
12-11-2010, 01:06 AM
you`re a different kinda woman. seems you could easily be a mans best friend hell if i bought my wife any of those gifts i`d be like those guys. i made the mistake of getting her a microwave for mother`s day one year. lemme tell you it didn`t go over real well to say the least....

Awww......no man should ever be in the doghouse for buying a gift! :judge:

I gave a microwave to a man friend one year , he loved it. I dont understand women either to be honest. I have just as much a hard time understanding them as you guys :confused:
Just take the guess work out and ask them what they want is the only thing I can think of.

imported_BobbyG
12-11-2010, 10:45 AM
Why would a vacuum cleaner make her mad? I wouldn`t get mad if my wife bought me a new lawn tractor. And if it had a double bag grass catcher.....:thumbup:

This is a rhetorical question: Are you a woman?................... Then there`s your answer!