PDA

View Full Version : A possible Scam????

Pages : [1] 2

old_gonzo
02-06-2002, 01:50 PM
Is the Mother`s Scratch Remover very similar in performance to any other product that we may be familiar with?

Thanks.:)

imported_doug
02-06-2002, 02:13 PM
Nothing I know of. I noticed 3M is now marketing a similarly named product (If you haven`t noticed, 3M has been coming after Meguiar`s with both guns blazing.)

Scratch-X seems to have a combination of rapidly diminishing abrasives that make it usable by hand, plus fillers that help hide what`s left. I`ve used it a few times on scratches that the FI-II plus SMR didn`t get rid of, and it took care of them beautifully. It is NOT harsh, though - and won`t go after a deeper scratch you might need, say, rubbing compound to go after. Of course, once you`re into rubbing compunds you have to be careful not to sand right through your clear.....

forrest@mothers
02-06-2002, 02:42 PM
Our Scratch Remover is a fine polish (diminishing abrasive type) that (at the consumer level, and by hand) cleans up the rough edges inside a scratch, making it less visible in light.

As the members here know, you can`t "remove" a scratch by hand - it requires a machine, which is actaully removing the high areas of paint around the scratch.

One problems consumers seem to have with these types of products is their insistence of applying lots of pressure (which leads to marring of the finish). You want lots of repetitions and light pressure, from a variety of angles, for this type of product to work properly by hand.

It`s a comparable product to some of the other step up "Scratch Removers" on the market.

drmcetta
02-06-2002, 03:00 PM
Carguy, have you ever used Meguiar`s Scratch X with PC?

How does it compared to Meguiar`s Swirl Remover (#9 if I`m not mistaken)..or with SMR?

I`m looking to fix my friend`s swirl city car (a tan color car)...just swirls though not scratches..I only have FI II on hand, but I`m looking to try something less aggressive and avaliable locally products (Meguiar`s)..

So which product should I use?

thanks! :)

imported_doug
02-06-2002, 09:31 PM
I did try scratch-x by PC once, and according to the label that is OK - I didn`t find any great advantage to it, decided to use it to spot -treat only. But I don`t have enough experience with it that way to sy for sure.

Greg Nichols
12-07-2010, 02:26 PM
Over the past year I`ve been contact 3 times by a person claiming to be hearing impaired, so they use a third party communication system. The all want the same thing, a car detailed and want to tow it to my location, and want to know if I take credit cards. Seemed perfectly fine the first time.

Today I got this email, this is how all the dialogues go. Again I live in Utah, and all the calls are from cars over 2000 miles away. I always tell them to get it to me and I`ll do the work. Anyone else have a similar thing going on? It seems like a scam, but what is the angle?

"Hello this Ben Eric speaking..am hearing impaired.....my uncle had an accident on his way to visit our family in North Carolina..with his cadilac escalade 2006. .but the repair has been done so....I want the car tow back to the state here in your shop ..so you can do the auto detailing service for him, can you handle that for me and I do live here in state and the vehicle is with the tow guy in North Carolina and they will have it tow to your workshop for an estimation by next week wednesday between 11:00am ....will you be able to handle everything done for me and do you accept credit card?Ben"

Cheers,
GREG

Greg Nichols
12-07-2010, 02:34 PM
Here is the reply to me saying yes! I told him to send me his credit card info and I`ll do COD with the transport company! LOL

Yes thanks and i got the email message and can you call the guy now and arrange for the towing of the car down to your shop ok Good i will like to make a deposit of $500 with my credit card now and i want you to do me a favor regarding the towing of my car cos the tow guy does not have the facility to accept credit card so i will u to charge my card for the towing fee and fine...i will give u my card to put thru for $2500 dollars and once that goes through and i want you to deduct $500 as deposit of the cleaning and send the remain $2000 dollars to the tow guy once he receives the money he will have the car delivered to ur shop next week wednesday so u can re-write an proper estimate for the cleaning is that clear and are you ready to bill me ?Ben

bmw5541
12-07-2010, 02:45 PM
Greg,

Do not respond to this at all. It is absolutely a scam.

I was managing a high end Audio Video Installation company a few years ago, and this same exact thing happened to us. It caused a lot of problems and took a lot of time to clear everything up.

Just tell them you are sorry, but you don`t have time, and hang up.

PorscheGuy997
12-07-2010, 02:53 PM
I try to stay positive, but this definitely sounds like a scam. The idea of withdrawing money for the tow company is awful fishy. Also, what tow company doesn`t take credit cards?

Some things I would do to confirm:
1. Google his email address
2. Search for his name and address (his name already showed up as a UN scam)
3. Raise your rates to $5000. If he accepts the charges, then you know he`s a scammer.

Old Pirate
12-07-2010, 02:55 PM
Over the past year I`ve been contact 3 times by a person claiming to be hearing impaired, so they use a third party communication system. The all want the same thing, a car detailed and want to tow it to my location, and want to know if I take credit cards. Seemed perfectly fine the first time.

Today I got this email, this is how all the dialogues go. Again I live in Utah, and all the calls are from cars over 2000 miles away. I always tell them to get it to me and I`ll do the work. Anyone else have a similar thing going on? It seems like a scam, but what is the angle?

"Hello this Ben Eric speaking..am hearing impaired.....my uncle had an accident on his way to visit our family in North Carolina..with his cadilac escalade 2006. .but the repair has been done so....I want the car tow back to the state here in your shop ..so you can do the auto detailing service for him, can you handle that for me and I do live here in state and the vehicle is with the tow guy in North Carolina and they will have it tow to your workshop for an estimation by next week wednesday between 11:00am ....will you be able to handle everything done for me and do you accept credit card?Ben"

Cheers,
GREG

Be very careful Greg, it looks like a scam IMO

imported_gewb
12-07-2010, 03:15 PM
Different twist on an old scam - forget about it, don`t get involved unless you want to lose a lot of money.

Regards,
GEWB

imported_Flash Gordon
12-07-2010, 03:46 PM
Sounds fishy to me too :-?

mikeyg402
12-07-2010, 03:54 PM
Same thing happened on another forum this was the direct text from the guy it happened too:

So the other night we get a call from one of those TDD deaf services. This guy wanted 250 Spicy tuna rolls for a retirement party. Ok that`s odd. So one of my managers gets his contact info and emails a total.

US:
Please reply with your credit card number, expiration date, and billing zip code. After we process your payment, we will send you a confirmation.
Please let us know what time you would like to pick up the spicy tuna rolls on Tuesday December 14th.
We look forward doing business with you!

Him:

the total price sounds good, but before I can get you my credit card to pay for the grand total of the order, I would like for you to add $1100 plus the total price of the order so that you can have all that charged on my credit card now and you will have the $1100 wire to the truck driver in cash via western union Money Transfer as it is the fastest and safest way to receive Money and for them to be able to come in for the pick up with their refrigerated truck.

maybe its to cater all of the hostages from the pirated ships? lol

So yes its a scam, dont respond. Stop

imported_Flash Gordon
12-07-2010, 04:25 PM
They would be very disappointed with my credit card numbers :-B

Greg Nichols
12-07-2010, 04:59 PM
Yes I`m not biting on this, but thought I would share and see if others have had the same calls or such. I knew it was a scam, but trying to figure out how they were working it, fun research IMO. Candy Cane

I told him to have the transport company COD, he didn`t know what COD was LOL

Cheers,
GREG