PDA

View Full Version : SEMA week Contest 2: One Pad System

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

LePwew
01-26-2002, 07:29 PM
Hey guys,

You guys have a ton of useful information here, good job..

I recently installed a pair of tweets on my *grey* plastic door panels.. the mistake I made was that I used a permanent marker to make the outline of the tweets for their location... I want to know if you guys know of a product that will take these marks off as I have tried rubbing it off with alcohol and elbow grease and it simply wont come off..

Hopefully you guys can point me in the right direction... Will thinner or MEK work, or will it damage the plastic panel?

Any help will be most appreciated..

THANKS!

imported_Intel486
01-26-2002, 07:49 PM
Try a scratch remover like Eagle one Scratch Remover. I use it to take off a lot of stuff including that sticky stuff from stickers.

Have you tried something like Tar remover?

Edit: I remeber being at a paint store and they had a permanent marker remover. Not sure if it`ll damage your paint though. Might wanna go check that out.

Josiah
01-26-2002, 08:24 PM
The marker remover chemicals have a LOT of harsh stuff in them. I would not use them on paint, although I don`t know for sure if they are bad for it. Ron K would know, or anyone have any ideas?

Jngrbrdman
01-26-2002, 09:31 PM
I`ve been challanged to take out some pretty tough stuff. One of the toughest was to remove old grey duct tape from a dashboard. I guess the glove box wouldn`t stay closed so they taped it up. Well, the tape was all old and because of the heat and everything it just melted into the dash. I used armor all and a wire detailing brush to get it out. The dash was that textured plastic type so getting in the "pores" of the plastic was a pain. Anyway, the end of the story is that there was marker under the tape. After I got the tape off with the stainless steel wire brush (you have to be careful with those or you`ll scratch the hell out of the plastic) I switched to a brass brush and more armor all. I wish I had some solvent or something but I didn`t so the armor all was going to have to work. It took some time but I brushed the dash like you would brush your teeth and I finally got it all off.

The real pain to that story is that the customer didn`t even realize that it was such a pain in the *** to remove. Anyone that would drive around with tape all over their dash is sure to not appreciate the work that goes into removing it. I took it as a personal challange and I wasn`t going to let a dashboard with tape and marker get the best of me.

So I guess my answer would be to get a wire brush and something like armor all or some other cleaner and just try scrubbing it with the brush. Be really gentle though. If you see it starting to scratch up the plastic then stop doing it.

LePwew
01-27-2002, 12:39 AM
Hey guys.. thanks for all the good info..

As I can see, I made a bad mistake marking the plastic with permanent marker.. but I will do the best and try the Armor ALL method first, since I have plenty of that..

No one however, gave me opinions about using Thinner or MEK(MethylEthelKetone)(sp?)...

In any case I thank you guys for all the great info you have given me.. Great job and keep it up..

Josiah
01-27-2002, 12:57 AM
Oh, plastic. my bad. :D:rolleyes:

Elbow grease and a cleaner. Jngrbrdman knows what he`s talking about.

good luck! Post back when you get it all off with your findings.

Redcar GUY
01-27-2002, 08:02 AM
Just my 02$ I would not try MEK! We use that at work to take off some <strong class=`bbc`>VERRY[/b] Strong bonding agents. I would think that it would take the color right out of the fabric or plastic~~~~~~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LePwew
01-27-2002, 12:35 PM
Hey guys...

I finally got all the marks out with some Scotch Brite (light pad) and a citrus solution.. its called De-Solv-it..

I tried the Armor ALL and that worked fine as well but it took a bit more scrubbing ...

all in all thanks guys for all your help...esp. Jngrbrdman, thanks for your hints.. it seems that you do this a lot and ended up being right.. thanks again.. :up

Jngrbrdman
01-28-2002, 01:32 AM
Anything for a fellow Texan. :D I lived out in Palestine for awhile. I know right where you`re at. :up Eat some Blue Bell for me. I miss that stuff. :)

laynlow
01-29-2002, 01:29 PM
Go to a hobby shop and ask for some Lexan body wash. I use this stuff in my hobbies, and it will strip Sharpie markers in one swipe.

Its a low odor product, not like a harsh solvent, but I would still test in a small area first.

imported_capspackle
02-21-2002, 06:45 PM
EF Spot Remover removes permanent markers..

i had a permanent marker stain on my grey leather and i recently got EF Spot Remover and with a little rubbing of a cotton towel, and a little pressure from my finger nail, the stain was gone..

Jack Kruer
10-31-2010, 09:55 AM
This contest is for the New Lake Country ?One Pad? (http://www.properautocare.com/1padsystem.html) Polishing System.

Want to win one absolutely FREE! Post to this thread answering the question ?How many Pads do you use on your average paint correction job.?

List for each task Compounding, Polishing, and Finessing.

We will pick one winner each day of the 2010 SEMA Show (Tue.- Wed. - Thur. Fri.) and give them an introductory set of a ?One Pad? (http://www.properautocare.com/1padsystem.html)backing plate and three pads, 1-Orange, 1-White and 1-Gray.

Four WINNERS!

Remember, the ?One Pad? system is for circular polishers only.

jk

grungy
10-31-2010, 10:11 AM
Not a pro and only doing my own cars:

2 orange pads for compounding, 2 white pads for finishing, none for finessing (DD`s).

Harry

Edit: I use a PC, but if I win, I guess Jack benefits since I will need a rotary from PAC :rofl:

delder0
10-31-2010, 10:24 AM
5 or 6 on a normal job.

Paul Sparks
10-31-2010, 10:47 AM
Four-or-five on friends and family cars. Five or more on the crew cab super duty. Usually 2 orange , 2 white and a green or black if needed. Paint conditions kind of dictate actual selection. Add a surbuff when removing light sand marks,scratches and too lazy to get a wool pad and rotary out.

(I guess I need to be more careful in reading directions. Thanks for the heads up.)