PDA

View Full Version : SEMA week Contest: Cover Craft Car Covers

Pages : [1] 2 3

imported_Megafast13
01-26-2002, 03:11 PM
I lightly washed my car today after it being painted 3 an a half weeks ago. I now have these marks all over my car that look A glass that went hrew a dirty dish washer!! They will not wash off or away!!! My hood looks like It has spider webs on it when the sun hits it. What can be done??!! Does it have to be repainted or is there somthing else that can be done? Please can anyone advise??? Iam going out of my mind with anger??

YoSteve
01-26-2002, 04:29 PM
Well from a Ron standpoint, we`re going to say that it might be a sign of a bad clear coat job. Unfortunately, I too have the same stuff on a panel on my car that was repainted. My car is silver so you have to be SUPER close to tell but it does look like how you describe. The best you can do is minimize the looks, maybe try to use some swirl mark remover to lessen the swirls. I would however wait until the clear is settled in. Not much of a good prognosis, but it could definately be worse. You could have the guys that did it look at it, but then it turns into, should they try to fix it, if it`ll come back worse. Good luck.

imported_Intel486
01-26-2002, 04:33 PM
Take it to another body shop (so you get an unbiased answer) and ask them what it is. The go back to the shop you got it painted at and tell them what is wrong and that they need to reshoot it.

jkochis
01-26-2002, 05:02 PM
Having just had some repainting done myself, and not totally pleased with the results, I share your feelings. That said...

- Is it really "spider webbing" from a bad clear coating, or just poor washing techniques? Like someone else said, try to get another opinion even if you have to (or should) pay they a few bucks for their time.

- Dont go out of your mind with anger. Save that for the punk who decides to key your car "for fun". I`m sure whoever painted your car didnt intend for it to come out bad, and most shops will do the right thing to straighten things out. Worst case, you`re out some money. There are a lot worse things in life.

Todd@RUPES
10-30-2010, 07:06 PM
To enter: Answer the question.
What you win: A custom fit Cover Craft NOAH car cover (http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo.net/noahcusfitco.html)
This question is aimed at professional detailers although anybody is free to enter (and win) and all we are doing is looking for feed back. Do any of you (professional and rabid enthusiasts) use car covers on your own automobiles? Why or why not?

Do you recommend to your clients that they use a high quality car cover? Why or why not?

Our detailer program allows products such as car covers to be purchased at a great price, so if you are a professional and you believe in the benefits of car covers than PAC`s detailer program could certaintely help you increase your revenue stream.

Feel free to post your answer`s here or swing by and see Jack and I at the Proper Auto Care Booth at SEMA and share your opinions!

The winner will be chosen next Saturday: November 6th, 2010.

While everybody cannot win, we will over two runner up prizes (to be picked at random). Each runner up will receive a Cover Craft Sun Shield (http://www.properautocare.com/uvheatsun.html).

Best of luck!

Todd

Jack Kruer
10-31-2010, 05:36 AM
This is a good question. I have spoken to a number of people in our detailer program, that offer Covercraft (http://www.properautocare.com/covercraft.html)car covers to their clients. In the program, we make them available at a price that allow the detailer to sell them to their client. The detailer provides their client another service and makes a few bucks as well.

jk

imported_Pats300zx
10-31-2010, 09:04 AM
Well every single one of my garage queens has an indoor and outdoor car cover. All by Covercraft. I have the Noahs for indoor and the Weathershields for outdoor. Now that I have a 3 car garage to keep all my cars I really don`t use the Weathershields as much.

I have 6 Covercraft car covers for my cars. They are top notch.

grungy
10-31-2010, 10:20 AM
I`ll answer, but want left out of the drawing Todd and Jack so others can win.

I don`t use them due to only having daily drivers and the wind here in Tx can easily rip them off a vehicle (causing more damage). Wintertime is especially bad as we can get some good 50mph winds. (I do have a garage, but the vehicles don`t fit due to the builder`s idea of a 2 car garage)

imported_ZimRandy
11-01-2010, 07:28 AM
Do any of you (professional and rabid enthusiasts) use car covers on your own automobiles? Why or why not?

Do you recommend to your clients that they use a high quality car cover? Why or why not?

I use covers for my cars when they are stored indoors for the winter. Mostly, it is to keep dust off of them so they don`t look nasty in the spring when I roll them out.

When people ask me about covers, I will usually find out what they are trying to do or how they are storing the car. If it will be outside and windy, then I recommend a nice, weatherproof cover that fits tight and is made for the elements. The universal, "plastic" type covers that are $16.99 at the local store usually don`t last and I don`t think they are good for the paint when they rub.

Randy

imported_kakeuter
11-01-2010, 08:21 PM
On my daily driver I do not use one since I park outside. If I had a car that I kept garaged and did not drive daily, I absolutely would. Even if you park in the garage your car can still get covered in dust and debris.

My client that has 4 garage queens we cover after every detail. I always recommend we cover them since they don`t get driven often and they are VERY high quality car covers.

imported_Brian_Brice
11-01-2010, 08:52 PM
I`ve never used one. I have seen quite a few, and can tell there seems to be a wide variety of materials used, some seem quite soft and safe, others not so much.

It never really comes up aside from the clients that do use one, in which case is usually of the nicer quality. I don`t recommend or discourage against their use unless I was convinced damage was being caused by a lesser quality cover.

imported_Tuscarora Dave
11-01-2010, 10:09 PM
I haven`t used a car cover on my car because I had been working out of my car for the last 3 years but finally got a van so I would use a car cover now to try to preserve the finish on my car.

I only recommend a car cover to my clients if the car is in the garage for storage because I am afraid that they will leave bird bombs build up on the cover and it will seep through the cover if it is covered outside then they would try to blame me for the damage.

imported_Stokdgs
11-01-2010, 11:38 PM
I bought my first car cover from Beverly Hills Motoring Accessories in California in 1969, for my 1969 Camaro SS/RS Pace Car, and I have used car covers on a variety of cars since then, and currently have a Weathershield type cover on the kid`s `97 BMW 540i that sits outside.

Where I used to live for 35 years in Northern California, I had covers for every car we owned and we had many. I believe in California where its so sunny, you would want a car cover to help cut down on UV, heat, and dirt, so that your freshly detailed _____________ (fill in the blank) would be nice and clean and cooler, every day.

I really like not having to wash my car often because it stays so clean when its covered outside wherever I go, so I will always be a fan of car covers, and can take one off and put one on in probably less than 2 minutes.

Windy conditions can cause problems for some poorly designed covers, but the newer designs now are coming out with more ways to attach it more tightly, so that wind doesnt get underneath it as much.

Of course, the best designed covers will fit every vehicle perfectly, tightly, and have the best possible grade of elastic in the front and back seams, so that it stays on very tight year after year, is easy to wash, and small enought to be rolled up into a small, supplied cotton/canvas bag, that is easily stored into the trunk/boot of any vehicle.

The grommets should always be covered in a padded fabric on each side, and a quality, cut proof cable and lock should be supplied with each cover, and not be an option to buy..

I dont really care for all the fancy colors, as it draws more attention to your vehicle, and that may or may not be a good thing in some areas of the country.
I prefer just gray or light blue; something that blends in easy with normal outdoor colors.

Up here in the Northwest, I have been really recommending to my Clients to get covers, especially if their vehicle/s are outside, to help prevent the onslaught of all kinds of fungi,moss, compost, etc., that gets into every seam and starts to grow little trees, multiply, etc.., if it stays there too long without being removed.

Dan F

imported_Flash Gordon
11-02-2010, 05:56 AM
I instruct anyone that will listen not to put a cover on a dirty car. Also, its best to have 2 ppl so you don`t drag the thing across your paint.

Both partys (1 at each end) should fold the cover inwards. At that point, cafefully lift the cover off the car, then fold the cover and place in a sterile enviroment

BillE
11-02-2010, 07:30 AM
I don`t use a "real" cover. The Better Half (wife) stitched a couple of worn out bed sheets together to keep my truck covered in the garage during the winter. At 9MPG, its not used a daily driver, specially during the winter...LOL.

Bill