PDA

View Full Version : Doing my first paint correction

YoSteve
01-24-2002, 05:25 PM
Anyone use Blitz before they`ve used Klasse and Blitz? I mean does the Blitz last longer as a result of having Klasse to go upon? Whoever`s got data, please post. Thanks.

Brad B
01-24-2002, 05:38 PM
I have done this. No, the Blitz or other carnubas (Meguiars, Souveran, EagleOne, to name a few) durability are not influenced by using over a base of another product.

The assumption here is, however, that the surface has proper preparation.

drdetail
10-24-2010, 08:47 AM
I started doing the paint correction on the jetta (blue paint) with heavy fading from the sun. Did a quarter panel of the hood and it is coming out pretty good overall. I`m going to clay the other side first before I do any more 105 with the DA. So far I only used the 105 with the orange pad. Used speed 1 to spread and speed 4 with moderate pressure. I am impressed by the results so far especially since this is probably the worst condition paint I have seen.

Had a question. What does 105 do (orange and white) vs the final 205 with the black pad?

Also, how often do I need to clean the pad(s) while I am working? I know until it gets cakey but do I just get a bucket and put snappy clean...dip it in and rinse off + dry and get back to work?

Thanks in advance.

IID
10-24-2010, 09:11 AM
Definetly make sure your pads are fully dry before continuing to use.

bmw5541
10-24-2010, 09:47 AM
I started doing the paint correction on the jetta (blue paint) with heavy fading from the sun. Did a quarter panel of the hood and it is coming out pretty good overall. I`m going to clay the other side first before I do any more 105 with the DA. So far I only used the 105 with the orange pad. Used speed 1 to spread and speed 4 with moderate pressure. I am impressed by the results so far especially since this is probably the worst condition paint I have seen.

Had a question. What does 105 do (orange and white) vs the final 205 with the black pad?

Also, how often do I need to clean the pad(s) while I am working? I know until it gets cakey but do I just get a bucket and put snappy clean...dip it in and rinse off + dry and get back to work?

Thanks in advance.

I am glad it is going well for you so far.

Before you do any paint correction, it is always a good practice to clay first, to get the surface nice and smooth for the polishing process.

You can spread at speed 3, and then crank it up to 5-6. If you don`t feel comfortable using speed 6 just yet, keep it at 5 until you get the hang of it. You should clean your pads after every panel. Turn your DA upside down, and hold a MF over the pad with your hand and turn on the DA at speed 2-3. This should wipe off any risidule polish, and then you can move on to the next panel. The other option you have is to use between 3-6 pads to complete the car, and then clean them after you are done. The pads must be completely dry before you use them again.

Using M105 with the orange pad will give you the cut you need to correct the paint, and M105 on the white pad will refine it a bit more. You should always start with the least agressive method first. The M205 is a finishing polish that you can use to get out light swirl marks with a white or green pad, and also use it as a finishing polish on a black pad to amp up the gloss.

Make sure to post some pics when you are done.

Good luck with the rest of the car.

newpassatt
10-24-2010, 10:26 AM
If your Jetta paint is as hard as mine, m105/orange pad on speed 6 of my pc worked pretty well for me. Don`t be afraid to use some pressure on it. It still took several passes to even get moderate scratches & swirls out of the paint on my Silverstone metallic. Once that was done, m205 with a flat white pad finished down very well to a lsp ready finish. I don`t think a black pad will have enough bite to get to this point unless you don`t mind making a lot of passes.

drdetail
10-25-2010, 06:24 AM
thanks for the tips fellas. ill get to work on it some more on the weekend:) kind of exciting considering how bad of a shape it is in and how nice i can potentially make it look (hopefully)