PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good 5.5" wool pad

Pages : [1] 2

boywonder
01-24-2002, 05:13 PM
Well, it`s that time of year when thoughts surface about what is needed to detail the vehicle. Get a load of my shopping list for 2002.

- Microfiber Gloves (Trying them to clean the interior glass)
- One Grand Blitz Wax (That might be debatable)
- Pinnacle Poly Clay Kit
- Vent Duster
- Dual-Tip Cleaning Swabs
- Plexus Plastic Cleaner
- EF Clear Vision
- Wenol Metal Care Kit
- 3 Liters of Vinylex
- PC 7336 Orbital Polisher

However, there is one thing on CMA`s site that is catching my interest (http://store.yahoo.com/classic-motoring/metairforbla.html (`http://store.yahoo.com/classic-motoring/metairforbla.html`)) because I want to be able to blow all the water out of the crevices and the junk between the seats. I might still consider an air compressor. :D

Dave N
01-24-2002, 05:28 PM
For $200 I imagine that you could get a "real" air compressor. Then you could also use it to inflate your tires!

BTW, are you serious about the <strong class=`bbc`>3L[/b] of Vinylex?:eek:

JasonC8301
01-24-2002, 06:28 PM
Yeah, I have a 3L jug of vinylex. I use it so often, and gave out two samples (well not samples more like a 16 oz. bottle) of it already. I still have 1L left. Only cost me $22 for the 3L?? I think they raised the price to $30 now.......

- One Grand Blitz Wax (That might be debatable)

Blitz is a great wax, well worth the $20 or so $.

I have a gallon of the Ef Clear Vision and it works very well.

Very nice list :)

My 2002 list,

Zaino Z-2/Z-5/Z-6/Z-7/Z-16/ZFX

Ef Hi Intensity, one gallon

Happy Detailing :)

Jason

imported_BretFraz
01-24-2002, 07:37 PM
Save a few bucks and get one of these:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=55137 (`http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=55137`)

Everything else on the list looks good to me. That PC should be purchase #1. What about pads and backing plates for it?

imported_JeffBruce
01-24-2002, 09:04 PM
Good list..you have i take it???

Pads for PC

Towels

New Bucket

New Mitts

kiltman
01-24-2002, 11:47 PM
The best leaf blower at the depo is $69.00. I have both ,a leaf blower and air compresser. The leaf blower works better for me . The nozzle is about 2 inches wide as opposed to the attachment for the air compresser which is very narrow. In other words more air is hitting the car`s surface with the leaf blower.

boywonder
01-24-2002, 11:49 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by JeffBruce [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>Good list..you have i take it???
Pads for PC
Towels
New Bucket
New Mitts [/b]</blockquote>
The pads are a given. I will get the CMA kit.

I will also get some MFs

More Klasse

New Chamois

Chicken wire (Ketch`s suggestion)

I don`t need a new Bucket (I have 2 already) or mitts( because I washed them before I put them up). :D

nerdhunters
01-26-2002, 11:33 AM
PrinzII Have you used Poly Clay before? I am getting ready to order some and would like your opinion on it.

Thank you,

PAR Detailing
10-24-2010, 07:03 AM
I am looking for a good wool pad. I have the megs w66 bp and the solo wool pads and those are in 6.5". I just purchased the 3m 5" bp from england because I am switching all my pads over to 5.5 for the most part.

I was wondering if there were any wool pads in 5.5 that are really good. If there are any that dont shed like a husky in the summertime that would be a plus.

Thanks guys,
Jon

imported_kakeuter
10-24-2010, 10:06 AM
I too would like to have some 5.5" pads for the 3M bp. I thought I`ve seen some people on here with 5.5" PFW pads, I think those would be perfect.

Just need to figure out where to get them. I`m sure someone will give us some help.

Old Pirate
10-24-2010, 11:02 AM
Our the Surbuf R Pads (http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo.net/sb00055r.html) will work great on that backing plate.:thumbup:

PAR Detailing
10-24-2010, 12:08 PM
Sorry I should have clarified, I am looking for wool for my rotary and the 3m backing plate (the one with yellow foam). I have seen 5.5 pfw as well, and I have seen others but just dont know which ones are good.

imported_Stokdgs
10-24-2010, 02:22 PM
I have used the Lake Country Purple Foamed Wool (PFW) pads in the 5.5" size on my Rotary with great success.

I even compounded out a Cessna 172 with two-tone custom paint with these pads and Meguiars 105, and the results were stunning.

They wont have the longer life of full blown wool pads, but the advantage is they finish down really good and dont require alot of work afterwards to further clarify the finish.

The will shed a bit initially, but then settle down and just work, until you wear them out.

Guess it all depends on what you want to use them on, and your specific requirements of the pads.

Believe Meguiars has a newer wool/blend pad out there, that is purple-ish and some lighter colors, but think its only available in 6.5"

The L/C PFW`s come in all 3 sizes and I use all of them, when I want to correct some seemingly impossible paintwork, and want to do it without alot of extra steps.

All of the pads I speak of are available right here at PAC/CMA :)

Who did you end up getting the 3M 5" backing plate from ? I have also been thinking about getting a couple of them too. Let us know how it works for you, ok ?

Good luck with your search !

Dan F

imported_Flash Gordon
10-24-2010, 02:36 PM
I have used the Lake Country Purple Foamed Wool (PFW) pads in the 5.5" size on my Rotary with great success.

I even compounded out a Cessna 172 with two-tone custom paint with these pads and Meguiars 105, and the results were stunning.

They wont have the longer life of full blown wool pads, but the advantage is they finish down really good and dont require alot of work afterwards to further clarify the finish.

The will shed a bit initially, but then settle down and just work, until you wear them out.

Guess it all depends on what you want to use them on, and your specific requirements of the pads.

Believe Meguiars has a newer wool/blend pad out there, that is purple-ish and some lighter colors, but think its only available in 6.5"

The L/C PFW`s come in all 3 sizes and I use all of them, when I want to correct some seemingly impossible paintwork, and want to do it without alot of extra steps.

All of the pads I speak of are available right here at PAC/CMA :)

Who did you end up getting the 3M 5" backing plate from ? I have also been thinking about getting a couple of them too. Let us know how it works for you, ok ?

Good luck with your search !

Dan F

My feelings precisely :iagree: Good answer IMO Dan :money:

PAR Detailing
10-24-2010, 03:07 PM
I purchased the bp from i4detailing. It was only $40 shipped. I cant seem to find the PFW in 5.5

I would really like to go through PAC, they have always taken care of me but I cant find the PFW in 5.5 only see it in 7.5, 6.5, 4.

Dan, thank you for giving me the advice on the PFW. I can live with a shorter life if they make my life easier.