PDA

View Full Version : headlilghts by hand only?

Pages : [1] 2

tldesigner
01-22-2002, 10:26 PM
I have the large & the small duster, and I followed the directions about placing the new duster on newspaper for the recommended time prior to using.

I found that I was still getting streaks of residue on my finish after using the duster... I placed both dusters back onto newspaper for an additional 1/2 the inital time recommended... still streaks with the large duster!

I shouldn`t have to take off the streaks with a microfiber cloth or detail spray after using the duster...

Will I lose the dusters efficiency but placing it back on the newspaper again?

Thoughts/prior experience?

In Cal. car dusters defense... my car is white and I use high-intensity lights at acute angles during detailing/cleaning.

imported_ewiesner
01-22-2002, 11:25 PM
Its just the wax on the threads coming off... It will happen the first couple of times that you use it. Remember to lightly drag the very tips of the threads across the paint, never let the duster rest on your car!

Don2000g
01-22-2002, 11:50 PM
Mazman is correct!

Bob Post
01-23-2002, 01:14 AM
be otherwise named. Cleaning off particulates then rubbing them back into the finish is not the way to go, later in the paint life you will see the damage. Read a couple of the past threads about this. Later.

db2
01-23-2002, 01:24 AM
:down :down :down :down California swirl maker

imported_Intermezzo
01-23-2002, 01:49 AM
SVT01,

My duster did the same thing for weeks. Even when the paint surface was cool, some of the paraffin wax would smear right onto the paint. But it didn`t really matter to me because I would always QD right after dusting. Using the duster was just a part of my entire QD routine.

Follow mazman`s advice to lightly drag it, allowing only the weight of the strands to brush against your paint. Also what helps is to use a "running start". Don`t place the duster down on the car and then start brushing. When the duster first comes in contact with the car, it is better if it is moving, sort of like a slow airplane landing (LOL, couldn`t think of a better example :D ).

I don`t think blotting the duster on the newspaper for an extended time will diminish its efficiency.

Jngrbrdman
01-23-2002, 04:19 AM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by C240 [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>:down :down :down :down California swirl maker [/b]</blockquote>
Amen to that one! Lit mine up like a torch! I may have been using it wrong because it swirled the hell out of my Mustang. <I shiver just thinking about it>

TortoiseAWD
01-23-2002, 10:43 AM
Just as a counter-point, I`ve been using a Cali Car Duster on my WRX since day one (around six months now), and no apparent scratches so far. Now, the WRX is silver, so it wouldn`t be as obvious even if I did have some scratching, but I`ve gone looking for swirls/scratches in many kinds of lighting, and so far (knock wood) I`ve not found any. I`ve found lots of factory-installed orange peel and way too many city-sand-and-salt-truck-installed rock chips, but no scratches.

I like mine, but you can bet it will get pitched in a heartbeat if I ever notice that it`s damaging the paint.

Tort

jkochis
01-23-2002, 11:35 AM
I think the difference is when you use it. I only use it on a clean car, as in washed it Saturday, didnt drive it, and it`s dusty the next afternoon. People get in trouble with it when using it on a dirty, been driven a bit, surface. Duster is meant to remove dust, not clean a dirty car.

Pats300zx
01-23-2002, 12:01 PM
I have used in on my show car with no problems. The car is garage kept and I use it to remove the light dust. I use it as other forum members have described. Just let the material lightly go across the surface. No scratches so far.

imported_ewiesner
01-23-2002, 12:09 PM
Yep, the duster is not a substitute for washing your car. The duster should be used daily or at least every other day unless your car sits in a very dust free garage and does not go anywhere...

Remember once the dust/dirt has gotten damp or wet, it cannot be removed by the duster. Only a QD or a wash will work.

When using the duster, your arm should support the entire weight of the duster. Hold the duster high enough over the surface so that the fiber tips just barely drag the surface, and give the duster a good shake after a couple of passes.

I think some of the problems from the duster come from letting it rest on the paint, or trying to use it as a substitue to washing the car.

tldesigner
01-23-2002, 12:54 PM
Thanks for all the input... but I`m NOT getting any scratches whatsoever... just streaks of the parafin on the paint from the duster. The parafin streaks come off effortlessly... I just want to know if this is typical, or if I should continue letting the newspaper leach out more of the wax? Moreover, does the duster become useless if it sits on the newspaper for to long?

imported_ewiesner
01-23-2002, 01:15 PM
Yep, its normal... I let mine sit on the newspaper for a couple of days and it still did it. It will stop streaking after several uses, trust me...

I had the same inital reaction when I first started using it, and almost pitched it.

I don`t think leaving it on the newspaper will pull all of the wax from the duster, I think it just gets rid of the excess - like when you wipe your tires off after applying protectant.

offcenter
01-23-2002, 03:36 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by RH [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>I think the difference is when you use it. I only use it on a clean car, as in washed it Saturday, didnt drive it, and it`s dusty the next afternoon. People get in trouble with it when using it on a dirty, been driven a bit, surface. Duster is meant to remove dust, not clean a dirty car. [/b]</blockquote>
I agree with RH 100%. It`s called a car duster, not a car dirt remover. If I wash and detail my car, leave it in the garage and the next day I notice dust all over the car, I use the duster, it does its job. I don`t drive all week and then use the duster to remove road dirt.

NoviceNut
01-23-2002, 06:29 PM
my car is dark blue which appears black in some light.

it would definitely show any swirl marks. i`ve been using the duster before my qd`ing ritual for over a year now, with no attributable scratches or swirls.

i actually wouldn`t consider qd`ing my car unless i first use the duster. i believe there`s too great a risk qd`ing a dusty surface.

if you think about it, the cali duster exerts less force on the surface (slightly more than the weight of the fibers) than wiping with a towel.

one rule i do follow is i don`t dust or qd if my car has accumulated for than 2 driving days worth of dust. at that point, i just leave the dirt on until the next wash.

one last note, you`ll have less chance of scratches using the cali duster if the surface is freshly waxed and slick.

rgds,

dbrooks