PDA

View Full Version : Been busy! 08 Z06, 07 GT, 09 Z06, and more.... (many pics)

Pages : [1] 2

laynlow
01-16-2002, 03:50 PM
I have always used Meguiars Medallion paint cleaner, Show Car Glaze, and Medalion Paint Protectant as my ritual. I just decided to break traditon and ordered 74 bucks worth of Z products.

I am looking forward to the no powder/residue on trim ect., and Sal assured me that the shine would "blow away" my current regiment. I sure hope he`s right.

Has anyone applied the Z products with a PC buffer? I have one, but Sal said he didn`t see a benefit to using it.

BTW, I enjoy the forum and others dedication to perfection. It`s always nice to explain to the neighbors that other people spend all day on their cars too.

BradE
01-16-2002, 03:55 PM
Use the PC for prepping the car (swirl/light scratch removal) Apply your Zaino by hand, that way you can conserve product and control the thickness of the layers better. Since Z is non-abrasive you will get no benefit from using a machine.

TortoiseAWD
01-16-2002, 04:07 PM
I`ve used a PC to apply Z1 several times, with good results. Cautions against wasting product are overexaggerated, IMO; the first couple of applications to the PC pad do require a bit more product, but after that initial "loading" of the pad, I found it takes very little product for subsequent panels. I used much less Z1 with the PC than when I used the included Zaino app, and I feel I got a more even, thin layer.

YMMV . . . if you already have a PC and a clean pad, you might consider experimenting to see which you prefer. As ShowroomLincoln noted, though, Z is non-abrasive, so the only benefit you might get from the PC is a little extra speed and your arms won`t be as sore at the end of the day :)

Tort

Michael H
01-16-2002, 04:21 PM
I had trouble using a PC to apply Zaino. In the end I use a foam applicator which I found to better than the PC and the terry cloth applicator provided by Zaino.

laynlow
01-16-2002, 04:42 PM
I think speed is an important factor for me. My vehicle is a Ford Explorer Sport, bright red in color. I need a step ladder to do the roof, ect. I would like to use the PC for speed, and I think it would lay down a more even coat than I could do by hand. I also ordered the new accelerent and Sal said that the Z1 is not necessary with that product. In addition, I should not have to wait between coats.

I guess the bottom line is to try both and see how it goes.

As far as appearences are concerned, would you agree that my gloss/shine, ect should be much better with the Z products over the Meguiars? The pics on their site are very good, but as an amature photographer, I know what a difference some film types can make. Color variance is great even among digital cams too.

Thanks for the replys...

DETAILKING
01-16-2002, 04:48 PM
eom

turnipgreen
01-16-2002, 05:02 PM
I`m about to be in the same boat as laynlow. I`m going to order the Zaino and give it a try. Can anyone comment on how far 1oz of say Z2 goes? It sounds as though 1oz can do a whole car. Given all the posts about not using too much I`m nervous about putting the right amount on the applicator and how far it should go.

imported_Wes
01-16-2002, 05:11 PM
turn and layn:

Don`t bother with a PC. A terry applicator pad is all you need.

Might want to use one side for Z1 and other side for Z2. Or get 2 pads.

Z1 is super slick and like oil so you can apply super thin coat easy.

Z2 I recommend you wet the applicator frequently. I use a 50/50 mix of Z6/H2O to wet the pad. Keeping it moist makes it much easier to spread the Z2 around to get even/thin coats.

1Oz of Z2 should get 2-3 coats if you do it thin.

Have fun. Z is great.

Steve @ Guru
01-16-2002, 05:18 PM
I agree with gti`s findings about how far 1oz will go. I recently Zaino`d my Tahoe and found that 2oz. of product was more than enough for 3 coats. I ended up wasting a little, but was shocked by how long it goes if you apply it correctly.

turnipgreen
01-16-2002, 05:39 PM
Boy that stuff must go on thin. Do you just put next to none on the applicator for each section, or do you put some on the applicator then go over a large part of the car? I`m having trouble picturing going over an entire car with 1/2 oz. I`ve heard the only problem anyone ever ran into was putting too much on, so they must be right.

I`m planning on using the ZFX, so Z1 isn`t an issue for me.

Steve @ Guru
01-16-2002, 06:02 PM
I apply it in a very thin, light "X" on a micro fiber applicator, then I fold the applicator in half to that the X smushes itself. This distributes the product pretty evenly across the applicator.

I can wax the entire hood with that much product on the Tahoe. It`s very hard to believe, especially after being a carnauba user/lover for so long, but you need to go light. It`s just like spray painting - several light coats are better than one thick one. If you "miss" a spot, you`ll hit it with the next coat.

Also, with ZFX, it`s recommended to apply the product with a circular motion at first, then finish with straight lines.

Finally, I`d suggest you moisten the applicator ever so slightly with a very fine mist of Z6. This will help the product spread a little more evenly.

Big thing is practice - it took me a few tries, but I finally got the hang of it.

TortoiseAWD
01-16-2002, 06:27 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by turnipgreen [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>Boy that stuff must go on thin. Do you just put next to none on the applicator for each section, or do you put some on the applicator then go over a large part of the car? I`m having trouble picturing going over an entire car with 1/2 oz. I`ve heard the only problem anyone ever ran into was putting too much on, so they must be right.

I`m planning on using the ZFX, so Z1 isn`t an issue for me. [/b]</blockquote>Here`s a thread I posted a while back on getting thin coats with Zaino by hand: http://www.autopia-carport.com/forum/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=4434 (`http://www.autopia-carport.com/forum/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=4434`)

I get two to three layers from about an ounce of Z2 or Z5; I think the real key is the switch to foam. The foam applicator really glides on the surface compared to cotton terry, IMO. An occasional spritz of Z6 on the applicator seems to aid in getting thin layers and stretching your Z2/Z5, as well.

Best of luck,
Tort

imported_Wes
01-16-2002, 06:30 PM
Ha I will try.

I use a circular terry pad. Keeping it moist all the time.

I put about 3 portions on the upper left quadrant of the pad. Each portion the size of a coffee bean. I fold the pad in half so the upper right quadrant gets some of the Z2.

This amount is enough to do about 1/3 of my hood at least(I have a 330i).

I am still improving my technique but you get the idea.

Don`t worry about missing some spots. You will cover it in the next coat if you do 3 coats in the same day with ZFX.

DETAILKING
01-16-2002, 07:24 PM
The only problem with putting it on to thick in the past (besides wasting product) is that it takes longer to dry...especially with Z1. With ZFX, zaino dries fast, so the thin coats are not AS important.

For your first time, dampen the pad with some water and Z6, and put just enough on so you can see it cover everything. Pretend it is 100 bucks an ounce, and apply it that way! Don`t worry if you use one ounce and it only does one coat, that is about average, and the next coats will go on thinner. First, because of experience, you will be better at it, and second, because the slicker the car gets and each additional coat you apply will be easier to spread on. Make sure you use Z6 in between coats. You are gonna love it. Please post results!

ISLANDSBEST
01-16-2002, 07:44 PM
The more rubbing necessary to properly use a product (such as a swirl remover) more greater the benefit from using a machine. The less rubbing required, the less benefit. When you need to buff out a hard to buff compound, a machine is a real labor saver. Properly applied, Z requires little buffing, therefore, there is not as great a benefit from using a machine for Z, compaired to, say, using a machine for Finisee It.