PDA

View Full Version : Spot Correction

Pages : [1] 2

imported_RaskyR1
01-14-2002, 01:03 PM
I have a White `96 Porsche that only sees the outdoors on perfect days. I think I may have got caught in a rain shower four times in 3 years.

I have always used 3M wax but am considering trying Zaino. I am looking for the best shine I can get and for a product that reduces the amount of dust that accumulates on it as it sits in the garage and waits to go out and have fun (even though it only goes out in nice weather, when I get home there always seems to be this black dust from the road on it) Also, What do you guys think of those California dusters?.....protection is important but not as important as for a daily driver...I just want it to look great ;)

Thanks in advance for the feedback

DETAILKING
01-14-2002, 01:22 PM
A carnuba will always pick up more dust due to the oils. There are a few choices with synthetics you have so read up before making a decision. Since durability is not much of an issue, it opens up your choices..... Here is my dad`s white 1986 camaro with zaino on it.....

http://www.fototime.com/2699A127FBFEC23/standard.jpg (`http://www.fototime.com/2699A127FBFEC23/standard.jpg`)

http://www.fototime.com/1B80D76B91E97DB/standard.jpg (`http://www.fototime.com/1B80D76B91E97DB/standard.jpg`)

mx5
01-14-2002, 01:32 PM
Zaino, Blackfire, and Klasse are the top three sealant choices for detailers in this forum. Just do a search on them. Blackfire has only been on sale since November, though.

imported_memnuts
01-14-2002, 01:36 PM
I use Zaino on my garage queen. I did not buy Zaino for its protective properties. Like yourself this car never see any bad weather. If there is a low pressure system within 200 miles it stays put. I love the gloss, smoothness, and slickness that Zaino gives. The anti-static feature really works and really kicks in after several coats of Z2/Z5 and Z6. I am presently experimenting with carnuba over the Zaino to add depth and richness to the finish ( the car is non-metallic black) . So far the experiment is yeilding good results. I love Z and one of the most important reason why is its ability to not attract dust while the car sits in the garage. :D

Detailing is an ever evolving quest for perfection. Remember the initial use of any wax/sealant product was an experiment to achieve this goal.

imported_RaskyR1
01-14-2002, 04:15 PM
Thanks so far....Anything I need to watch out for with a white car when using Zaino, Blackfire, and Klasse?

Any recommendations between the three for my needs?

imported_Intermezzo
01-14-2002, 06:03 PM
California Dusters work great as long as they are used properly. I always use it to swipe off any loose dust from my car before QD`ing it.

mx5
01-15-2002, 10:07 AM
None of these should stain any plastic parts on your vehicle like wax. Stick with Zaino for dust reduction. My car is Klassed and still collects a lot of dust. Blackfire will give the protection of Zaino with more of a waxed wet look shine. Zaino gives a "bright see you a mile away" shine that some people may not like.

imported_RaskyR1
01-15-2002, 03:11 PM
I guess its going to be Zaino.....Thanks everyone

Jngrbrdman
01-15-2002, 05:35 PM
I would avoid the California Car Duster like the plague. Anything that traps dirt inside it and continues to be dragged across your car will scratch it. They may not be the kind that are really visible but if you shine a light on it or look in the right light you will see the swirls. If you get one then just be super careful with it. The second you think it is damaging your paint then light it up like a torch and throw it out. Porsche paint isn`t the kind of thing I would want to take any chances with.

The link in my sig is my photo album. I use Klasse and a carnuba topper. You can get superior shine on a white car. The carnuba may attract more dust (I really have no frame of reference to make the judgement) but the shine and glow you get from it is awesome. I intend to strip the Klasse and carnuba off and start fresh with Blackfire as soon as the weather permits. White is a fun color to get shiney because it is so hard to do and you don`t see them very often. Good luck with whatever you choose.

imported_Intermezzo
01-15-2002, 05:58 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Jngrbrdman [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>I would avoid the California Car Duster like the plague. Anything that traps dirt inside it and continues to be dragged across your car will scratch it. They may not be the kind that are really visible but if you shine a light on it or look in the right light you will see the swirls. If you get one then just be super careful with it. [/b]</blockquote>
If you care about avoiding swirl-marks or any sort of hazing on your car, you should be super careful about ANY product you use on your car. I understand your fear regarding the duster and I used to feel the same way, but what convinced me to get one was the fact that a lot of the old-timers here on this forum use it all the time with good results. But you should never use anything you are uncomfortable with...swirls or no swirls.

db2
01-15-2002, 11:24 PM
the california car duster scares me. I have been told by some profesional detailers that i have come across in my 7.5 short years of detailing my own cars is that the less you touch the paint the better your paint is off. I interpret this as wash regularly and do what is needed to clean and protect your paint but dont go overboard with it such as waxing every week and so on,but again im am no expert in anyway but will tell you one thing i owned a black car once and will never own another,but will admit that black is probably the nicest color.

bmw5541
09-24-2010, 09:05 PM
I have a customer who has a car needing a new paint job. He has some nasty rock chips in the hood, that if left untreated will rust over the winter, so he is saving up his money to have it re-painted.

He has a section over the rear wheel well that looks like the previous owner tried to sand it, and wants me to polish it out.

I have tried to talk him into letting me do the entire car, but he really doesn`t have the money to do it. He wants me to do just that section.

My question is, would you guys do this? Is it wise to polish one section of the car while the rest of the car gets no treatment?

What`s your feelings on this?

imported_Dubbin1
09-24-2010, 09:10 PM
If thats all he wants to pay for then go for it.

PAR Detailing
09-24-2010, 09:13 PM
If you do polish out that one spot its like getting paid to do a test spot for a potential client. You could look at this as a little teaser and use it to entice him to get the whole car done after winter or when he has the cash.

I personally dont see why you wouldnt want to do it. I know you arent getting the whole car but you will get paid to do that one section and possibly get the whole car later.

Thats just my :2 cents: and I know you will wow the customer Barry

bmw5541
09-24-2010, 09:13 PM
If thats all he wants to pay for then go for it.

My only concern is that the car will look all out of wack if one spot is bright, glossy and haze free, and the rest still looks dull.

I am in no position to turn down any work, but I was just concerned about how it will look.