PDA

View Full Version : Advice on New Grand Cherokee

taegers
01-12-2002, 12:50 PM
Witht the exception of this forum of which I am fairly new, I have never heard of clay in this context. I mean when I hear the word clay, I think of clay pots. So in all humbleness, may I ask what is clay, what does it do, what is is made out of, how do you use it, etc... Thank you. :confused:

Lemonxxs
01-12-2002, 01:09 PM
I suggest a little search..

But the short version:

Clay is a tool used to remove paint overspray and other contaminates. It is used with a lubricant (QD or Soapy water) and pushed over the painted surface. IT is made by many manufacturers and is available at auto part stores and online retailers.

Check out the Carport site above and go to details details details...lots of info there.

taegers
01-12-2002, 01:12 PM
Thanks, I just read the section about claying, sorry about the post, I forgot to do search.

Lemonxxs
01-12-2002, 01:13 PM
No problem CLay is wonderful stuff to make the paint feel smooth and should be a part of everyones arsenal of stuff!!!

Lazzman
09-22-2010, 09:49 AM
A client of mine just picked up a 2011 Grand Cherokee and wants me to winterize it for him- as he does not have a garage and the vehicle will spend most of its time outdoors.

I am planning on using Collinite for the paint but there is a lot of chrome and plastic on the outside vehicle, the plastic is around the outer wheel wells and door rockers.

I have tried Auto Wenol on chrome and though it shines awesome, it does not really leave long lasting protection. Also I have used interior protectants on plastic outside the vehicle with good results in the summer but don`t think it will hold up in the winter.

Looking for advice on some products to use on the Chrome and Plastic parts.

Thanks for the help :biggrin:

Old Pirate
09-22-2010, 10:51 AM
Hey Lazzman! have not seen you on lately. On chrome you can use the Blackfire Wet Diamond All Metal Sealant (http://www.properautocare.com/blwetdiallme.html)or Wheel Wax (http://www.properautocare.com/wheelwax.html). Make sure they try to wash them during the winter months if possible to keep the salt off the rims. For the hard plastic`s on the exterior you can go with Optimum Opti-Bond (http://www.properautocare.com/ob2008c.html)Tire Gel for protection, but like everything else it needs to be reapply during the winter months to ensure it will protect the area you apply it on.

Leadfootluke
09-22-2010, 11:33 AM
Collinite 845 does not stain trim and affords incredible protection on many plastic surfaces. If you use that on the paint, I would test it on a small section of plastic and if it does not have any ill effects, I would look into that.

Lazzman
09-22-2010, 12:14 PM
Hey Zoom good to hear from ya, been laying kinda low lately, economy is not that great up here right now.

Thanks for the great advice I will order the optimum and Blackfire Straigthaway. Are there any air temperature ranges when putting on the Optimum? Winter in Massachusetts averages about 26 F and I don`t have a garage. Would that be to cold to put it on in my driveway?

Luke I will give the Collinite a test on a small area of plastic, it is the grey patterned type of plastic you see on door jams and lift gate steps.

Collinite is incredible stuff, I used several coats of 845 on my wife`s ` 07 black Camry back in October and the water beading finally wore off in june.

Thanks for the Advice :hurray:

bmw5541
09-22-2010, 12:21 PM
Angelo and Luke give great advice. During the NJ winter, I coated my car with BFWD x2 and topped it with 845IW and it lasted the entire winter. You could also use Optimum Opti-Seal on the plastic.

Lazzman
09-22-2010, 03:57 PM
Thanks Man, sorry to hear about the selling of your beamer, that sucks!!!

When things pick up and I know they will at some point, I am sure you will buy a new one :clap:

imported_Sal329
09-22-2010, 04:29 PM
Collinite metal wax or duragloss 501 for the chrome, 845 on plastic

Lazzman
09-22-2010, 10:47 PM
Thanks this is very helpful