PDA

View Full Version : Had my first Pad seperate on me!

Langers
01-09-2002, 06:38 PM
I know this topic has been covered many many times in the past, but thorough searching of the archives has still failed to net a conclusive method, product etc.

My car is a 2 yr old Citroen Xsara, Mauritius Blue paintwork, non metallic.

There are many fine / small swirl marks on the bodywork. I have been using Meguiar`s Clear coat prep and swirl remover, but it does not seem to work very well. Does the coat of wax need to be removed for this product to work its best?

As I am living in Australia, many of the products you recommend may not be available so:

a) what are your top 5 products, including application methods and results

b) in general, do swirl removers that fill the paint or ones that level the clear coat to the depth of the scratch mor effective?

c) do you have any advice for ensuring these marks do not reappear in the near future.

Hopefully this thread will turn out to be the final, definitive one in the swirl remover chapter.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ron Ketcham
01-09-2002, 07:02 PM
We wrote a definitive two part technical article a couple of years ago for Professional Carwash and Detailing Magazine.

Unlike most enthusist magazine articles, this one does not name or promote any brand of product.

Rather it covers the paint systems used, referrs to research that has been done, what causes the concerns ,etc.

It may be your start point.

The articles are on www.autoint.com under the Magazine Articles Section

If you have never visited the site, you may also wish to look in on the Tech Tips Section as there are several more informative pictures and accompanying text which shows how a vehicle is painted at the factory, what a modern paint system looks like from the side when magnified 5000X, various paint concerns and issues, etc.

Ketch
:up

Michael H
01-09-2002, 08:29 PM
Langer

Also look here:

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/autopia/remswirmar.html (`http://www.autopia-carcare.com/autopia/remswirmar.html`)

And several of the producsta re available in Australia. have look at: www.waxwizard.com.au

Michael H
01-09-2002, 08:36 PM
Langer

Try the following to remove the swirls (all products available in Australia):

1. 3M Finesse It Machine Polish

2. Meguiars Prep and Swirl Remover

3. Decent polish, say Mothers Reflections or Klasse All in One

4. Finish with a wax of your choice.

5. Apply using a variable speed orbtial sander with a Meguiars W8006 Pad. I can tell you which model sander to use if required.

PAR Detailing
09-19-2010, 07:00 AM
So yesterday I was working on a minivan that belongs to my girlfriends mother. I went back to the drying racks where about 15-20 pads were drying and I noticed on one of the pads the backing was curled up.

I go in for a closer look and see how strong the adhesive on the rest of teh pad is and needless to say the adhesive was shot. It took barely any effort the seperate the rest of the backing from the pad.

I know several people had issues with the HT pads seperating, all of mine are holding like a champ. This pad was the regular orange LC pad. The only frustrating thing about this is I had barely used the pad, I have used this one maybe 3 times.

Oh well it happens.... Do you guys think this justifies buying 6 more pads? :D

http://truthindetailing.com/Forum/picture.php?albumid=92&pictureid=55

Ill probably cut it into smaller hand sizes and use it for hand polishing or something like that.

Jon

imported_Flash Gordon
09-19-2010, 07:51 AM
LC was having a helluva time with these seperating 6 months ago. I suspect whoever manufactured them tried to skimp on the adhesive and failed terribly

It would still slice up nicely for hand usage though

bmw5541
09-19-2010, 07:52 AM
What type of polisher are you using? Are you using a Rotary or DA? If you are using a DA, I would stick with the Hydrotech pads. Although, I have had issues with them seperating, they get great results.

PAR Detailing
09-19-2010, 09:30 AM
What type of polisher are you using? Are you using a Rotary or DA? If you are using a DA, I would stick with the Hydrotech pads. Although, I have had issues with them seperating, they get great results.

I use both rotary and flex da. I love the HT pads I have about 20 6.5 and 10 5.5. I am a super huge pad junkie I love having tons of pads. I have gotten good results with HT pads on both rotary and da. I like the regular pads also I have never had a backing separate on me. Oh well not the end of the world

imported_3Guy
09-19-2010, 10:02 AM
Where did you buy the pad?

I had one separate the first time I used it and the vendor replaced it - you might try that.

You might also be able re-glue it. I`ve used gorilla glue on some pads without any problems, just don`t use too much glue.

PAR Detailing
09-19-2010, 10:43 AM
Where did you buy the pad?

I had one separate the first time I used it and the vendor replaced it - you might try that.

You might also be able re-glue it. I`ve used gorilla glue on some pads without any problems, just don`t use too much glue.

I don`t remember exactly where I got them but I`m not worried about it all the places I shop take care of me and it`s not a major issue to me. Good idea on trying to glue it but I would never trust it fully and I need hand polishers anyway

DJBAILEY
09-21-2010, 01:37 AM
I have reglued the velcro using 3m Super adhesive spray ( the strongest one there are 3 levels of adhesive I think). It will last for a bunch of uses then reglue it again. I used Gorilla glue once also. You can kind of feel the hardened glue.