PDA

View Full Version : Car Wash

Pages : [1] 2

db2
01-08-2002, 09:31 PM
I am currently using a dish washing sponge on the tires works well, the sponges without the green scratch pad on the bottom. On the wheels i have been using a sponge that came with my P21S wheel cleaning kit but do not like it. Thinkung of using a water soaked towel like a MF ,what do u guys use ?I dont like using brushes to clean wheels or tires, seems like too much of a chance on scratching wheels, but yet i have never tried using brushes.

imported_BretFraz
01-08-2002, 09:47 PM
I use a soft wheel brush that has these feathered edges that are nice and soft. It really depnds on the wheel design. Sometimes a brush of sorts is all that can do the job.

A stiff nylon brush for the tires and one of these for the wheels. The one I use is on the left.

William420
01-08-2002, 09:53 PM
Something to consider.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/images/products/lg/11838_LG.jpg

imported_BretFraz
01-08-2002, 09:53 PM
Spoke a bit too soon. Here`s a new wheel brush thingy from Eagle One I jsut saw at CMA:

http://www.properautocare.com/eagonesoftou.html (`http://www.properautocare.com/eagonesoftou.html`)

jkochis
01-08-2002, 11:15 PM
That Eagle One tool looks interesting if the foam isnt too stiff.

You can make a couple like Griots sells by taking a $1 sponge from WalMart, cut it in half, then cut a slit for your fingers.

imported_wendell jarvis
09-16-2010, 08:57 AM
Through out the years I have heard and read so many things in a negative light in regards to car washes......Here is my question, has anyone ever investigated or researched into actually what chemicals are used? I have heard degrease used, to super cleaners........does anyone know exactly? I guess this could be a project that I could research this weekend.

bmw5541
09-16-2010, 09:59 AM
Let us know what you find out Wendell.
You now have your homework assignment for the week.:wizard:

imported_JSFM35X
09-16-2010, 10:16 AM
From what I know. Very harsh chemicals are used at car washes. Look at the empty 55 Gallon drums in the parking lot used for traffic control. They have an #8 black diamond corrosive sticker. In most cases it`s on all the chemical except the glass cleaner. I am in the Jan/San commercial chemical business so I know a little about these. They are classified as HAZMAT 9Hazardous material) They do this becasue they do not want to have to re-wash the dirtiest cars 2X. Most people who go to car washes only look for dirt. Not concerned about LSP being removed. This stuff is like Dawn on steroids. There are the foam washes that are more mild, with the guy standing in the tunnel. Still very hot products-not neutral.

If you really cared about your finish why would you take it to a place that uses the same towels to wipe wheel well lips and then moves to your hood!

If a car wash did a great job the way TID spec`d it. It would cost $ 25-40 dollars minimum and they would go bankrupt bc nobody would be there.

Car washes are for the masses. I have not been to one on over 7 years with the exception of my winter car a Silver 2001 QX4 that I will run through sparingly. I came back form Skiing in Vermont and my car was a salty mess. I could not ONR it bcause there was too much gross soil. I opted for a touch free wash no wax, no wheel cleaner and zero drying. Pressure wash and into the tunnel. I had many, many coats of Ultima PGP topped with 2 IW845. Seemed to make it OK through the winter but I feel guilty sending it through the tunnel every time I do.

If you were going to polish you are and it was shot already, I run it through, no wheel cleaner, no drying. They when you got home and re washed it most of the big stuff would be gone, but that is it for me.

imported_wendell jarvis
09-16-2010, 10:26 AM
Let us know what you find out Wendell.
You now have your homework assignment for the week.:wizard:

Class Dismissed ?

imported_Dubbin1
09-16-2010, 11:18 AM
Class Dismissed ?

No, you need to find out whats in the soaps that most of us use in our buckets.

CEE DOG
09-16-2010, 11:50 AM
From what I know. Very harsh chemicals are used at car washes. Look at the empty 55 Gallon drums in the parking lot used for traffic control. They have an #8 black diamond corrosive sticker. In most cases it`s on all the chemical except the glass cleaner. I am in the Jan/San commercial chemical business so I know a little about these. They are classified as HAZMAT 9Hazardous material) They do this becasue they do not want to have to re-wash the dirtiest cars 2X. Most people who go to car washes only look for dirt. Not concerned about LSP being removed. This stuff is like Dawn on steroids. There are the foam washes that are more mild, with the guy standing in the tunnel. Still very hot products-not neutral.

If you really cared about your finish why would you take it to a place that uses the same towels to wipe wheel well lips and then moves to your hood!

If a car wash did a great job the way TID spec`d it. It would cost $ 25-40 dollars minimum and they would go bankrupt bc nobody would be there.

Car washes are for the masses. I have not been to one on over 7 years with the exception of my winter car a Silver 2001 QX4 that I will run through sparingly. I came back form Skiing in Vermont and my car was a salty mess. I could not ONR it bcause there was too much gross soil. I opted for a touch free wash no wax, no wheel cleaner and zero drying. Pressure wash and into the tunnel. I had many, many coats of Ultima PGP topped with 2 IW845. Seemed to make it OK through the winter but I feel guilty sending it through the tunnel every time I do.

If you were going to polish you are and it was shot already, I run it through, no wheel cleaner, no drying. They when you got home and re washed it most of the big stuff would be gone, but that is it for me.

Thats wild, I didn`t know they were that strong.

imported_JSFM35X
09-16-2010, 07:18 PM
Thats wild, I didn`t know they were that strong.

I was lucky to get a BMW M3 in the late 80`s. The thing was white. Soon after I got the car, i was bitten and moved from Turtle Was to Liquid Glass when it came out. I also tried all the nonsense of the time. I have a knack for that. At the time I was using Lquid Glass and LG pre wax Cleaner. A touch free wash opened and I was first on line. I watched several car go through and the glass showed water jets rinsing the car, soap falling from an overhead bar and being squirted from the sides. men in the tunnel mushing it around and I was dumb and happy.

Got home and noticed my white car was kinda greyish. Thinking I was a nut I ran my finger across the paint and instead of a slick feel, it squeeked. No LG left! I took the car back and complained and they ushered me aside, looked at the car and said they knew what happened and we will detail the car. i askerd what happened. They said we turned up the chemical to geive the BESTWASH but perhaps the soap/acid bath and neutralizer did not work in proper conjunction. I was assured a detail and pre wax cleaner would do it.

I said stop, you have done enough. I took the car to a guy named SKIP at Skips detailing in the 5 town in LI and he used a pre wax cleaner (today, it night be a mild polish) by hand and brought it back. The car wash paid and only asked that i not bash the wash. i signed it and got my money.

Not big fan of car washes ever since.

Chucks88SS
09-17-2010, 11:42 AM
At least u got ur money back...

imported_Bunky
09-17-2010, 11:46 AM
Besides the chemicals themselves, running a system that dispenses chemicals and recycles water, etc. takes a effort maintaining it (maintenance). I think at the best case it would be considered neutral (not good for your vehicles) with a lot of downside risk on being a big risk

imported_BobbyG
09-17-2010, 01:11 PM
Through out the years I have heard and read so many things in a negative light in regards to car washes......Here is my question, has anyone ever investigated or researched into actually what chemicals are used? I have heard degrease used, to super cleaners........does anyone know exactly? I guess this could be a project that I could research this weekend.

This is why I bring my own soap & hot water in a covered bucket, gloves, and wash mitt and use a manual bay. I`m 57 and have been doing this on decent winter days for more years than I care to admit!