PDA

View Full Version : Orange Peel on Black Vehicles

Pages : [1] 2

01-08-2002, 01:38 PM
I have had VERY little time lately and I have 2 coats of SG on my ML right now that were applied a little over a week apart. It has been about 2 weeks since then, can I still apply more SG.

Brad B
01-08-2002, 01:46 PM
Yes. They get a little harder to remove but present no real problems.

DETAILKING
01-08-2002, 02:33 PM
over 2 months apart with no problems. Just make sure the car is clean.

Don2000g
01-08-2002, 11:38 PM
Listen to Brad and DK. Happy detailing.

Lou_28
09-15-2010, 11:20 AM
I would like to get the opinion of everyone on what is their preferred way to remove the orange peel off of black vehicles. I understand that it all depends on hard/soft paint and couple other factors. I think that wet sanding would probably be the best but would worry about doing too much damage. X_X I would almost rather have a professional like yourselves to do the work but fear Da Rules! Thanks a bunch!

imported_RaskyR1
09-15-2010, 12:15 PM
I would like to get the opinion of everyone on what is their preferred way to remove the orange peel off of black vehicles. I understand that it all depends on hard/soft paint and couple other factors. I think that wet sanding would probably be the best but would worry about doing too much damage. X_X I would almost rather have a professional like yourselves to do the work but fear Da Rules! Thanks a bunch!

Removing orange peel is done via wet sanding.

The biggest problem is that with most factory painted cars today you really don`t have an adequate amount of clear to safely remove the orange peel.

Can it be done? To a degree, yes. But it would be at the risk of striking through as well as premature clear coat failure.

Do I suggest doing it? Nope.

If this is a repainted car then you likely have much more paint to work with.

Rasky

CEE DOG
09-15-2010, 01:15 PM
It`s a real shame. Most of us have the same issue. I wanted to get rid of some orange peel on my Sky but being that it`s factory painted there was no way I was going to eat up my clearcoat.

Lou_28
09-15-2010, 01:42 PM
Well, that is disappointing. But that is unforunately typical these days. Everyone trys to cut out as much as they can to deliver a "acceptable" product. Thanks guys!

Tuck91
09-15-2010, 04:19 PM
Just learn to live with it.

bmw5541
09-15-2010, 05:59 PM
Just learn to live with it.

It just kinda sucks!!

Lou_28
09-15-2010, 06:04 PM
So, this leads me to this question (for instance)... Barry, that sweet Q7 you are working on right now. I see the before and after on the paint, does that have any orange peel on it? Because what I have seen so far it does not seem that way. This is what I see with almost all of the vehicles I see on here, which led me to think that no one has orange peel on their vehicles except me. :D

bmw5541
09-15-2010, 06:16 PM
So, this leads me to this question (for instance)... Barry, that sweet Q7 you are working on right now. I see the before and after on the paint, does that have any orange peel on it? Because what I have seen so far it does not seem that way. This is what I see with almost all of the vehicles I see on here, which led me to think that no one has orange peel on their vehicles except me. :D

No Lou, there is no Orange Peel on the Q7 I am working on, but I have seen many cars that have it. My wife`s 2010 Beige Toyota Camery has a little bit of it.

grungy
09-15-2010, 08:21 PM
Not to argue with Barry, but I find some level of orange peel (i.e. not wet sanded smooth) on all new vehicles. You only need to check our friend in eastern europe who tames those Italian horses so see what I mean (yes you Jesse!):notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Dave1
09-15-2010, 08:26 PM
Can it be done? To a degree, yes.

Do I suggest doing it? Nope.

Good advice.....

CEE DOG
09-15-2010, 09:01 PM

My Sky has some peel on the lower corner panel areas. The rest of the car, especially hood and the rear lid are very smooth. It`s not so bad anywhere that you will easily notice it in pictures.