PDA

View Full Version : Question about Megs Ultimate Compound

Pages : [1] 2

db2
01-06-2002, 02:39 PM
Hello everyone. Just picked up my new MB and been cruising through this site and finally decieded to register.I have so many questions for everybody here. Has anyone used MB car care products?What is the best way to clean the side moldings that go around the car,the moldings hold all this dirt in the grooves and the dirt seems to stay in there , there has to be a better way to clean them other than using cutips.What do you guys think about the product i plan to buy even though i really like the MB car care products which are made by meguiars.

wash=p21s shampoo

wax sealant=klasse aio and sg

wheel cleaner=p21s regular wheel cleaner

rubber vinyl= 303

leather=hide food for my leather inserts

glass-stoners using it currently with good results

wash mitt and dry towel=sheepskin wash mitt and water sprite synthetic chamois using both with good results

so what do guys think?

jps
01-06-2002, 02:44 PM
well, i have zero experience with those products BUT, all of them look like products i have seen mentioned with respect on this site. so looking good i`d say!

Redcar GUY
01-06-2002, 02:52 PM
welcome to the board! I also have never used any of those, Glad to see that you found us:):up :up :up

BradE
01-06-2002, 03:00 PM
Welcome aboard C240.

As for you list, it looks pretty good but there are a couple of changes that I would make.

1. Dump the P21s wheel cleaner and get Eimann Fabrik High Intensity.

2. If your leather is coated you don`t really need the hide food. In fact over application of conditioner on coated seats will degrade the coating.

Get plenty of quality towels. Get some high quality cotton and microfiber towels. I like Charsima cotton towels by Fieldcrest which you can get at www.fieldcrestcannonoutlet.com For Microfiber towels I like Magic/Miracle towels and Neatitems towels. You can get these from the following places www.properautocare.com www.tacscar.com www.yosteve.com www.neatitems.com You investment in towels now might seem high, but you dont want el-cheapo ones that might harm to your paint.

Again, welcome to the forum. :bounce

imported_Intermezzo
01-06-2002, 03:16 PM
Investigate the Klasse line a bit more. Some of us have been experiencing a strange hazing or film when using Klasse SG on our cars which look like swirl marks but change in direction when you try to buff it out.

In fact, yesterday I noticed it on my car for the first time. It looked like my whole car was swirled up. I tried QDing it as well as washing it this morning and nothing really helped.

db2
01-06-2002, 03:20 PM
thank you everybody, thanks on the tip about klasse Intermezzo330I

Lemonxxs
01-06-2002, 03:21 PM
Welcome to the Forum.

Get some MFs for buffing polishing drying etc...High quality ones too.

Try Meguairs Gold class shampoo for economy reasons plus it is real good.

I would use another leather conditioner not so harsh. Heck use the 303 once in a while too on the leather.

I would get a high quality Cotton Chenile mitt or the MF mitt.

The p21 wheel cleaner is expensive and if you Klass your wheels you should not use iot much since it strips the klasse. There are other brands as effective and less expensive.

dengelson
01-06-2002, 03:38 PM
Hey C240 welcome to the group! :)

Your list looks pretty effective. I just used Klasse yesterday on my Mom`s Benz. It is a silver two door with a hardtop and convertable top. I`m not sure about the model # but I think it`s a 540 :confused: it has a V12 engine. Anyways the Klasse AIO and SG looked awesome on the silver. I also used the AIO on the wheels which shined them up nicely and should make subsequent cleanups easier.

The 303 Protectant and Stoner`s Invisible Glass are also both high quality products imo.

Have a great time with your new car and feel free to ask questions as you break her in.

Chuckmotor
01-06-2002, 04:58 PM
Concerning the car care pack that came with the Mercedes, it is all made by Meguiar`s and is decent stuff. The wheel cleaner is good stuff. It sprays on and cleans well, but you might have to scrub a little with a sponge or something to really pick up all the grime. I have used the paint cleaner before, and it`s ok, too. The bottle that says it "cleans, polishes, and protects" is not good. The car shampoo is ok to use, but it`s really hard to tell the difference in any car shampoo. I believe all of the items they give you are not much better than the consumer line from Meguiar`s, meaning you can produce much better results with some higher quality materials. Another thing: stay away from the polyester mit they give you! Scratch city! Though some of the stuff they give you is decent, the only thing I would use that they gave you is the bucket.

db2
01-06-2002, 11:10 PM
hey Chuckmotor what products do you use?

Chuckmotor
01-07-2002, 09:08 AM
I have used the Meguair`s Mirror line with great results. I was more than satisfied when I used the #7 polish and the #26 wax on newer cars; in fact, I still use both those products a lot for new cars. It`s reasonably priced and works great for cars that aren`t oxidized or in bad shape. However, since my own personal black `92 Bimmer is not up to snuff, I use a more aggresive polish to avoid oxidation, such as the 3M FI-II or the SMR. For waxing, I like using the Klasse approach, and maybe add a little carnabu for depth. For the interior vinyl, there is nothing better than the 303 Aerospace Protectant! I hate using anything shiny on the inside. The 303 gives a perfect matte look that doesn`t glare in the sun. I also use 303 for most of my exterior trim as well as the tires, though I`ve used Turtle Wax tire shine if I feel like giving a car shiny tires (that doesn`t last very long). I`ve used Scratch-X with good results on some cars, but I only use it for certain spots that need it (as opposed to the entire car).

C4igrant
09-12-2010, 07:00 PM
Hello all! I have 2002 Lexus IS300 that I am trying to clean up. I bought the Megs Ultimate Compounds, Porter Cable 7424 and Sonus pad kit. The goal is to get swirls out.

Today, I washed the car with Megs NXT and then used their clay bar. This worked pretty well I think. The car felt slick to the touch.

I started at the rear of the car with 7424, yellow Sonus pad and the ultimate compound. I was able to remove a lot of the scratches and swirls in the paint (am fairly pleased thus far).

Now for the questions, is what I am using solid choices?

I set the 7424 to 4,000. Was that the correct speed for swirl removal?

There were some scratches that I could not remove. Is wet sanding my next step? Pic of one the scratches below.

Thanks for all the a help!

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Grants_Pics/IS300_Scratches.jpg

bmw5541
09-12-2010, 10:03 PM
Hello all! I have 2002 Lexus IS300 that I am trying to clean up. I bought the Megs Ultimate Compounds, Porter Cable 7424 and Sonus pad kit. The goal is to get swirls out.

Today, I washed the car with Megs NXT and then used their clay bar. This worked pretty well I think. The car felt slick to the touch.

I started at the rear of the car with 7424, yellow Sonus pad and the ultimate compound. I was able to remove a lot of the scratches and swirls in the paint (am fairly pleased thus far).

Now for the questions, is what I am using solid choices?

I set the 7424 to 4,000. Was that the correct speed for swirl removal?

There were some scratches that I could not remove. Is wet sanding my next step? Pic of one the scratches below.

Thanks for all the a help!

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Grants_Pics/IS300_Scratches.jpg

If you really want to amp up your ability to do corrections, I would go with M105/M205. The UC will work just fine, but the M105 has more cut to it. You also need a good finishing polish to follow up after the compound to remove the hazing. To get the swirls out, you need to be between speed 5-6. If you do not feel comfortable at 6 then 5 will do just fine. If you can feel the scratches with your fingernail, then they are probably too deep to remove with a PC, and wet sanding is probably your best bet. If you have never done wet sanding before, I would go to the junk yard and see if you can find an old hood to practice on before you started on your own car.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

grungy
09-13-2010, 07:10 AM
Agree with Barry on the PC speed 6. I have tried several times at 5 and it just wasn`t enough (easily bogged down with 6" pads).

C4igrant
09-13-2010, 08:07 AM
If you really want to amp up your ability to do corrections, I would go with M105/M205. The UC will work just fine, but the M105 has more cut to it. You also need a good finishing polish to follow up after the compound to remove the hazing. To get the swirls out, you need to be between speed 5-6. If you do not feel comfortable at 6 then 5 will do just fine. If you can feel the scratches with your fingernail, then they are probably too deep to remove with a PC, and wet sanding is probably your best bet. If you have never done wet sanding before, I would go to the junk yard and see if you can find an old hood to practice on before you started on your own car.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Thanks. What are some good good finishing polishes?