PDA

View Full Version : Clear coat Vs Polishing

JonB
01-06-2002, 02:30 PM
I have 2 coats of BF on my Mustang after prepping it very carefully with clay, polishes etc etc. It really looks awesome. I have had the opportunity to view it under various lighting situations and until yesterday, I thought it was perfect. Yesterday however, I was out midday with the sun high and very bright. I was walking back to the car and I spotted a couple of very very fine swirls that could only be seen at a certain angle and under this very bright and intense light.

Here is the dilemma: so, do I ignore this relatively minor imperfection; do I break out the PC and re-do the hood and hope that I don`t make things worse; do I just increase my dose of Prozac and chase butterflies???

I was wondering if Z-5 over the Blackfire might solve those super fine swirls.....

H :bounce :bounce

imported_RIC
01-06-2002, 02:56 PM
In my opinion you should ignore them unless the car is a garage queen show car.

These type of swirls are inevitable on daily driven cars.

You will become a slave to your car`s finish if this type of swirl annoys you. 90% or more of the cars I have seen at car shows even have the type of swirl you are describing.

Lemonxxs
01-06-2002, 03:05 PM
Drink more beer so your vision is imparied....NAH fix it..what else you have to do?

vettefan67
01-06-2002, 11:08 PM
1) Ignore until spring, then fix.

2) LAYER! Layer away with that Blackfire, what else are instant cure times good for! Layer 3 coats a day for a few days and you`ll be amazed when the swirls start being much harder to see / invisible.

3) Fix now.

I plan to do both 2 and 1.

ISLANDSBEST
01-07-2002, 12:47 AM
bigboyhf

I went through an entire personal crisis on this topic. I do understand.

I finally determined that I have what many call "spiderwebbing." Here is my final conclusion:

"No one, I mean no one, ever sees let alone notices these extremely fine swirls. Even I can only see them when I look at exactly the right angle and look for them. So, I should chill."

Yes, Z5 does reduce them, but if no one notices and if we can only see them with effort, what is the problem? Of course, being an Autopian, the problem was that I knew they existed . . . I have since calmed down. LOL.

Don2000g
01-07-2002, 09:37 AM
I`m not sure how the layering properties of Blackfire will affect the very light swils that you`re talking about. I know that layering Klasse Sealant Glaze will minimize swirls. You could try applying another coat or two of the Blackfire sealant on that particular area only to see what affect it has on them. At least that`s what I would do. Laters

JonB
01-07-2002, 10:29 AM
The problem area is only visible on the hood, so I will do a couple more layers today and see if that helps.

H

dengelson
01-07-2002, 10:53 AM
This is where several layers a good paste wax can help out imo. If you are done with the Blackfire you might like to experiment with laying some paste wax down on top of it. Since it is just one panel it would serve as a good spot to experiment with.

Sounds like you are a fastidious, fussy and particular detailing nut. Nice to be among folks who understand, huh? :D

Don2000g
01-07-2002, 05:07 PM
Good for you Bigboyhf. Let us know how it works out. Remember this product came out recently and we are all still finding out how well it works. Laters

imported_JSFM35X
09-12-2010, 06:10 PM
I have seen so many amazing posts showing the transformation of cars feom Swirl-zilla to mirror finish. My DD is lightly swirled and I have been unsucessful in getting it perfected. Might be that I am too afraid to cut it for fear of diminishing the clear coat base. How mucg is there on a car with a stock paint job and what gets removed with a de-swirling 2-3 step polish?

CEE DOG
09-12-2010, 06:23 PM
The thickness of the clearcoat varie but the amount you are taking off by say going over it with even M105 isn`t much compared to whats there... Assuming somebody hasn`t already removed a bunch of it.

bmw5541
09-12-2010, 06:28 PM
Post some pictures of your car, and let us know what you are doing with it. After getting this info from you, I am sure that you will get plenty of advise on how to go about getting it just how you would like it.

PAR Detailing
09-12-2010, 06:29 PM
Like Corey said you have plenty of clear to play with unless someone has already messed around with it but they would have had to mess with the clearcoat alot. I would bet you are just fine to compound it.

Todd@RUPES
09-13-2010, 12:11 PM
Most cars are going to have between 1.8-3 mil`s of thickness, which is about a sheet of paper.

How much paint is removed depends on a huge number of variables, although most light swirls are less then a .1 of a mil deep. The problem is when you start chasing every mark and deeper scratch.

imported_wendell jarvis
09-13-2010, 02:47 PM
Most cars are going to have between 1.8-3 mil`s of thickness, which is about a sheet of paper.

How much paint is removed depends on a huge number of variables, although most light swirls are less then a .1 of a mil deep. The problem is when you start chasing every mark and deeper scratch.

True to That !!:notworthy: