PDA

View Full Version : Engine Coating

Pages : [1] 2

Beemerboy
04-09-2004, 09:33 AM
I`m looking for a engine compartment coating. I do not do motors all that often but seem to be getting requests for them lately.

What is a good spray on coating

I have a water based dressing that I use from P&S that works wonders on wheel wells, makes them real shinny.

Thanks

rtbrick
04-09-2004, 09:47 AM
Beemer, I have used PB BnB and Stoners MSLT. I like them both very well. The Stoners aersol seems to go on better and a little easier, but I believe the BnB lasts longer.

Beemerboy
04-09-2004, 09:51 AM
Thanks so after cleaning you just spray the BnB on?

I don`t have a lot of that left but that`s easy to cure!!

Tassadar
04-09-2004, 09:57 AM
Yeah the engines I did I cleaned it throughly and then used Bnb to do most of the major areas. I follow that up with Stoners Trim Shine to catch anything I miss.

http://tassadar.ezekial.net/detail/01gt/after/9.JPG

http://tassadar.ezekial.net/detail/engine/a1.JPG

http://tassadar.ezekial.net/detail/engine/saturn/a1.JPG

Works pretty well for me :)

Bill D
04-09-2004, 12:06 PM
I used to use Stoner dressings until I learned it may not be safest. As I understand it, the clear aerosol type dressings could be bad for plastic and rubber under the hood surfaces after a while and there is a chance, although minimal, of it causing a fire :bigscream

So, I now use 303 exclusively on engine components, supposed to be one of the safest, most beneficial dressings around. Just my two cents.

rtbrick
04-09-2004, 12:15 PM
Yeah, I just sort of spray BnB around. I suppose you could get a better look by wiping it on as well. I have been meaning to try 303 for sometime now.

shotime
04-09-2004, 04:53 PM
Is BnB greasy at all? The stuff I use now I`m happy with except for the greasyness, which attracts too much dust.

Nickc0844
04-09-2004, 10:49 PM
Aresole is going to be the easiest by far. I use Adam`s Polishes In and Out Spray. It has heat protection, and will not rot out any of your plastic. I find this aresole to apply much more evenly that my Stoner`s More Shine, Less Time product.

2drtahoez71
04-10-2004, 05:51 PM
what about engine kote?

Bill D
04-10-2004, 09:52 PM
I have Engine Kote and only use it on my wheel wells. I understand it can dry "unevenly" and look "blotchy" on engine surfaces. It`s also very difficult to remove if it gets on something you don`t want. It`s interesting many use this product primarily for uses other than its original purpose. I stick to 303 ( or something similar) and I get great results.

Beemerboy
04-11-2004, 11:18 AM
Nick

That brings up an interesting question. Heat Protection in a product. I used a water based dressing on my Jeep, and the hoses that came off the AC, rusted or the finished looked that way after a few weeks. I had to think that it was the spray applied. Maybe I should have wiped them down after. This si why I`ve been concerned about doing motors for customers since that.

Nickc0844
04-11-2004, 12:46 PM
hummmmm.....interesting Dave to say the least.....I`ve been fortunate to not run into that problem. You said it was water based, but makes me think it "contained" petroleums within it to do the damage or "browning". :dunno

tommy
04-12-2004, 02:25 AM
try armoral tire foam and a rag works great

Ferrarislave
04-13-2004, 12:17 AM
I been meaning to detail my engine what exact parts do you cover. I dont want to cover a area and then have it stand out from the clean area`s because it has dust or dirt on it.

Im kind of skeptikal because of previous bad expearience`s with engine cleaning when the alternator started to shoot out a small cloud of white smok (not steam) in chevy pickup truck i was detailing.

keeotee
04-13-2004, 08:30 AM
What 303 product exactly is it that several of you have mentioned?