PDA

View Full Version : will a 4" foam pad work on a gg 3"da if needed ?

patrickburk
12-31-2001, 02:23 PM
Hey all, this is my first time posting here. I took a look at some older posts and I have to say that I am very impressed with the knowledge flowing around. As for me, I don`t know much but that`s why I have some questions for you. First off, I have been using Klasse AIO and SG for a year now and like the results. Anyhow, I am going to buy a PC orbital buffer because my back won`t let me slave over my car anymore. First question, can I use Klasse with the buffer? Because one is supposed to use so little of it, wouldn`t it just get sucked up in the pad? Second, I have used 3M Imperial Hand Glaze and then a carnuaba wax. I like that also. Can I use the IHG with the PC or do I have to get teh machine glaze? Basically, is it ok to use hand products with an orbital buffer? The last thing I want to do is ruin my paint. Also, where can I get tips on how to use the PC because I am afriad I will screw it up. (I have a silver 330i by the way). Thanks all and happy new year! Regards, Cliff

Bobby G
12-31-2001, 02:30 PM
Hey Cliff... welcome to Autopia! Several of us here have BMW 330i`s. Mine is also silver. Great car. I just passed 17,000 miles (10 months!) without a single problem.

:cool:

db

imported_Intermezzo
12-31-2001, 03:23 PM
Black 330I here and it`s been a pure joy so far.

Klasse can be applied (& removed) with the PC, but some people believe that it wastes too much product. It works really well with AIO as you can maximize AIO`s cleaning effects.

3M Imperial Hand Glaze (& pretty much the entire 3M line) can be used by machine or hand. You get better results by machine (especially with 3M`s abrasive polishes).

You can get a lot of good tips for using the PC with DavidB`s link below:

Porter Cable 7424 Test & Demonstration (`http://www.autopia-carcare.com/porcab74ulde.html`)

And also carguy`s excellent instructions:

Technique Matters! (`http://www.autopia-carport.com/forum/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=3969`)

HTH

patrickburk
12-31-2001, 03:32 PM
Hi Guys! Glad you enjoy the car as I like it very much also. Ok, so either way, I gather that the PC is a good investment. I guess that if I decide to use the Klasse with the PC, I can still use it to take off the SG instead of putting it on since taking off any product entails more effort anyway. Thanks guys. Appreciate the comments. Warm regards, Cliff :)

imported_tropicsteve
09-08-2010, 06:58 PM
i`ve got a gg 3" da and have the usual problem of limited selection of 3" foam pads. does anyone know if a 4" foam pad will work if needed ? i use my gg 6" da most of the time, but the 3" is great for my motorcycle and tight spots.

imported_TLMitchell
09-08-2010, 10:18 PM
i`ve got a gg 3" da and have the usual problem of limited selection of 3" foam pads. does anyone know if a 4" foam pad will work if needed ? i use my gg 6" da most of the time, but the 3" is great for my motorcycle and tight spots.

Depends on what you mean by "work". I`ve used 4" pads with both the OEM 3" as well as a 4" BP. Great for spreading wax or sealant or a paint cleanser, not so good for any real correction. 4" pads work best with an approriate size BP.

The 3" Griot`s pads work as well as anything with M105 or Optimum Hyper Polish or Compound. 3.5" PFW if you`re looking for more correction. The 3M 3" blue finishing pad is primo with 85RD or Ultrafina. I have a couple of 3" 3M purple polishing pads that feel pretty rough. Haven`t laid `em on any paint yet.

If you`re looking for any serious correction you might as well just dig out the 6" GG DA and put a 4" BP on it IMO. YMMV.

TL

imported_tropicsteve
09-09-2010, 08:21 AM
thanks. i still have a handfull of 3" pads- red/orange- but it`s good to know that i can fall back on a 4" pad if i need to for minor cleaning, waxing, or sealing.

bmw5541
09-09-2010, 08:23 AM
Just get the 3.5" backing plate and use the 6" RO.

CEE DOG
09-09-2010, 10:58 AM
The 4" pad is too big for the 3" polisher in my opinion. You might as well just not turn it on and rub it back and forth...

imported_tropicsteve
09-09-2010, 01:37 PM
the only 3" pads i can find are the griots garage red & orange pads and i have those. i was just trying to find a way to supplement other color pads that i can`t find in 3". not a problem withthe 6" da.

imported_Dubbin1
09-24-2010, 01:42 PM
Get 4" pads and cut them down to 3" :)

imported_3Guy
09-24-2010, 03:53 PM
I`ve used 4" LC pads and gotten pretty good results.

CEE DOG
09-24-2010, 09:14 PM
I`ve used 4" LC pads and gotten pretty good results.

For correction on a 3" gg?