PDA

View Full Version : Hydro Tech Pads

JimO
12-31-2001, 10:37 AM
Just out of curiosity here.....On CMA`s webpage on the PC 7424, it stated "This 6 inch random orbit polisher made its debut about a year ago and has taken the detailing industry by storm". Well, before the PC 7424 (or 7335/7336) came out, what was the polisher to use? I mean, what was the "cool, awesome, popular" polisher to use back then?

imported_Brad
12-31-2001, 12:40 PM
Many different brands of high speed rotary polishers were available before orbitals like the 7424. Orbitals were big sellers because they are relatively safe for the untrained user.

imported_wendell jarvis
09-08-2010, 10:54 AM
Has the issue with the Hydro Tech pads been resolved? When they first came out I ordered 6 of these and all of them fell apart (backing

imported_richy
09-08-2010, 11:23 AM
Has the issue with the Hydro Tech pads been resolved? When they first came out I ordered 6 of these and all of them fell apart (backing

Boy, I sure hope so.I just ordered some.

bmw5541
09-08-2010, 11:25 AM
They are better then they used to be. However, you still need to be careful when removing them from your backing plate. They can and do seperate from the velcro backing if you are not careful.

imported_wendell jarvis
09-08-2010, 12:09 PM
They are better then they used to be. However, you still need to be careful when removing them from your backing plate. They can and do seperate from the velcro backing if you are not careful.

That is what happened to all 6 of mine, just after a couple of uses.....too concerned to buy more, I really liked the too....but if they cant hold up, then whats the use...

I have tried Surbuff Pads.LC CCS Pads, and Kompressor pads.....whats your recommendation on some pads

bmw5541
09-08-2010, 12:15 PM
That is what happened to all 6 of mine, just after a couple of uses.....too concerned to buy more, I really liked the too....but if they cant hold up, then whats the use...

I have tried Surbuff Pads.LC CCS Pads, and Kompressor pads.....whats your recommendation on some pads

From what I understand, the Kompressor pads are really designed for a rotary (I`m not 100% sure). I have used the gold Kompressor pads for applying BFWD and loved how it performed.

I have nevre used the CCS pads.

The Surbuf pads rocked my world. I was doing a Black Maxima with severe swirls , RIDS and spider webbing. The first half of the car I used M105 on a Hydrotech Cayan Pad, and although the combo worked just fine, I was able to achieve better results with M105 and a Surbuf Pad in half he time. They are really far superior on the tougher jobs.

Deep Gloss
09-08-2010, 03:28 PM
I did have a single occurrence when I almost tore one of my Hydros by carelessly taking off the BP but with just a tad bit of caution I have not had this happen since.

THE ONLY downside to the hydro?s is that they take longer to dry. To mitigate this I purchased quite a few of each color so that I have enough for pads to use today while the pads I used yesterday are drying.

To get my Hydro`s away from me you would have to pry them out of my rigamortis infested hands

PAR Detailing
09-08-2010, 04:17 PM
I did have a single occurrence when I almost tore one of my Hydros by carelessly taking off the BP but with just a tad bit of caution I have not had this happen since.

THE ONLY downside to the hydro?s is that they take longer to dry. To mitigate this I purchased quite a few of each color so that I have enough for pads to use today while the pads I used yesterday are drying.

To get my Hydro`s away from me you would have to pry them out of my rigamortis infested hands

I have not seen a durability problem with any of mine. I have about 10 of each and the backing hasnt failed, the pads are still in tip top shape and I love how they perform. I am still baffled by all the problems they had because I havent seen it in my roughly 20+ pads. I have always been careful about removing them from the backing plate and let them have a full day if not more to dry before they are put back on a machine so maybe that has helped alot

CEE DOG
09-08-2010, 05:32 PM
The Surbuf pads rocked my world. I was doing a Black Maxima with severe swirls , RIDS and spider webbing. The first half of the car I used M105 on a Hydrotech Cayan Pad, and although the combo worked just fine, I was able to achieve better results with M105 and a Surbuf Pad in half he time. They are really far superior on the tougher jobs.

Did you prime the surbuff all across the pad with M105? I got some recently and am planning to do it this way but was curious if the fibers try to get matted down easily or is it still easy to prime the pad without matting them down to badly.

CEE DOG
09-08-2010, 05:33 PM
I have not seen a durability problem with any of mine. I have about 10 of each and the backing hasnt failed, the pads are still in tip top shape and I love how they perform. I am still baffled by all the problems they had because I havent seen it in my roughly 20+ pads. I have always been careful about removing them from the backing plate and let them have a full day if not more to dry before they are put back on a machine so maybe that has helped alot

Same goes for me... No backing issues. I actually let mine dry for at least 2 days.

bmw5541
09-08-2010, 06:31 PM
Did you prime the surbuff all across the pad with M105? I got some recently and am planning to do it this way but was curious if the fibers try to get matted down easily or is it still easy to prime the pad without matting them down to badly.

Just follow Bryan Burnworth`s method for this. I think if you do a search for surbuf you will find it.

Rob T
09-08-2010, 06:38 PM
I`ve never had a problem with the backing of any of my Hydro Tech pads (I have about 10 of them).

mikenap
09-08-2010, 09:21 PM
I had one of the original ones I bought separate velcro from pad, but none of my newer ones have done it yet. The faces of the pads seem a lot more prone to tearing than flat LC pads though, and they do take forever to dry. But I do like them, and consider them in the same class as Surbufs- may not last as long as traditional pads but worthwhile just the same.

Rob T
09-08-2010, 09:33 PM
I had one of the original ones I bought separate velcro from pad, but none of my newer ones have done it yet. The faces of the pads seem a lot more prone to tearing than flat LC pads though, and they do take forever to dry. But I do like them, and consider them in the same class as Surbufs- may not last as long as traditional pads but worthwhile just the same.

Yes, they do tend to shred fairly easily. But the results are excellent. They do what they claim to do in terms of removing defects without looking like your typical compounding job.